Edamame: calories, and refridgerate?

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
I had sushi tonight and ordered edamame with it. For some reason the restaurant gave me a huuuuuge pile. They've been steamed I assume and still in shells. Can I keep them in the fridge for a while, or even freeze them?

And does anyone have a good calorie entry for them? None of the database entries seem to say whether it's with or without shell, or if, then the calories are the same. Of course looking for without shell, in grams. The USDA website... is just completely useless since the redesign. I find nothing there.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    They'll keep for a few days in the fridge (assuming they went fairly quickly from restaurant to fridge, not a big time gap), or can be frozen.

What I would do is use one of the obvious USDA source entries ("soybeans, mature seeds, cooked . . . .") that's green-checked, weigh the whole beans before eating, weigh the pod waste after eating & subtract, log the difference. (I agree they're not clear.)

Another option might be to use a mainstream brand like the Seapoint Farms brand entries (there are some that are edible portion only), and verify against an online version of the label. That's not perfect, but probably close enough. The only concern I'd have is if the restaurant ones you have are buttered/oiled in some substantial way.

If not planning to do this regularly, my personal thought process is "close is good enough", for things like this. That may not work for you, but I'm saying it to clarify where I'm coming from.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot AnnP! Edamame are not available in supermarkets here, thus I could not simply google a brand. And given the rubbish food labeling I bet if it was available it would not have mentioned whether it was seeds only or whole thingy. Thus thanks for pointing me towards a few good entry ideas. I'd not have guessed to search for soybeans. D'oh!

Oh yes, they are in the fridge now, and were not out a long time. Basically just the 5 minute cycle ride from restaurant to home, and then munching away on them :blush: Thus there'll be lots of yumminess for Monday evening I think.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    They're about 120 kcal per 100g plain and shelled according to the bag I have. Yes they freeze very well although if they've been fully cooked already they may lose texture if you reheat them after freezing.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    If they are in the shell and you just want to warm them up, "blanch" them in a pot of hot water for few minutes, peel them and enjoy them.

Some information from you for Seapoint Farms shelled edamame.

Protein 10g There are 100 calories in 1/2 cup (75 g) of Seapoint Farms Frozen Edamame - Shelled Soybeans. Calorie breakdown: 30% fat, 31% carbs, 39% protein.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,607 Member
    Options
    If your town has an asian supermarket you should get both shell on and shell off edamame from the deep freeze section.