When did you know it was time to shave your head?

Options
Spadesheart
Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
I was doing stuff to keep my hair and it was working well for over a year, up to a couple months ago. It still seems to look good from the front, but I honestly cant tell from the back. From pictures I tried to take on my phone, it seems awful, but I'm not sure it that may be just a phone picture thing. No one has said anything or commented in a way that was disparaging.

With hairdressers here still closed for at least another month, I was considering if it was finally time to take that step of just shaving it off. I lost a ton of weight, so I wouldn't quite look like a thumb anymore, and I have a beard coming in, that while not majestic, is not terrible for the first time in my life. Maybe its time?

I'm 29 now, and I tried to keep it as long as I could. Fellas, when did you know it was time?

Replies

• Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    I haven't got there yet. I doubt I ever will. But then, the beard is not an option for me 🤷🏼‍♀️ I find upkeep of long hair is pretty easy tbh
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    If you have to ask, it's time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I started thinning out quite a bit in my mid to late 20s and started shaving my head. I grew it out again for a little while in my early 30s but kept it pretty short as otherwise it started to look like wispy feathers on a baby bird. Started shaving it again in my mid 30s when my monkey butt on the back of my head became overly pronounced.
  • Spadesheart
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    If you have to ask, it's time.

You are probably right.

I do wonder if it's being overly critical due to it being something I'm sensitive about. Like I work with 150 old people, I would expect someone to say something, those guys don't have the best filter. I'm trying to ask people in my daily life to see what they think... Which is somewhat awkward.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    If I was thinning to the point where I could see my scalp through a layer of hair. Fortunately, at 57 I haven't got there yet.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • piggy_smalls
    piggy_smalls Posts: 1,621 Member
    Options
    If you're starting to look like LeBron, time to shave it.
  • Spadesheart
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Just after I tried cutting my own hair during our ill-advised covid lockdown.

I'll just take a little off of the sides, then the top, and then the back.... maybe more on the sides... ut oh, that's not good.... okay, more from the top... revisit the sides, and then the back doesn't look good... dang, okay, that's way off... more taken off the top..... this isn't working.... maybe the Marines are onto something after all. Clippers set to 'zero'. Buzz it all off - high and tight (very high and very, very tight).

The thing is, Hair - it grows back.
    and it did (Thank God), more than enough (see avatar)

They really should have made a laughing reaction haha
  • Be_theBest_Me
    Be_theBest_Me Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Anytime is a good time to be bald and bearded!! Do it now and post pics ASAP!!! BALD AND BEARDED FOR THE WIN!!!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,081 Member
    Options
    When I left active duty, I tried both extremes of hair style... growing untouched for a full year (just about got long enough to put into a pony tail), followed by shaving to skin for a couple months. Daughter hated the first; wife disliked the second. So I just keep things buzzed super short, using a "1" on my home clippers on the side of my head, and a "3" on top of my head.

One thing to note if you do shave is to seriously apply sunscreen to your scalp when you go outside for more than a couple minutes. Sunburns on the scalp are not fun. Ask me how I know...
  • Spadesheart
    Options
    I do think I am being critical, the 4 people I've spoken to have indicated that the hair itself just looks fine, which is true. I do wish my follicles were thicker, that being said it isn't as dense as it was when I was much younger either way.

I started creatine a while ago and I think I might stop, I think that might have been the catalyst this time around.

I have been a bit depressive lately, I imagine that isn't helping with self image and reminders of time slipping away, like hair down the drain.

I'll hold off until I can go to the barber at least, which should be in a month or two.
  • Spadesheart
    Options
    Anytime is a good time to be bald and bearded!! Do it now and post pics ASAP!!! BALD AND BEARDED FOR THE WIN!!!

Awww you're a one lady self esteem boosting crew. This is a problem for a lot of guys, so it's very sweet of you to vocally say your preference like this!