Oven Fries

Options
I might be a little late to the game here, but I just discovered this today - If you want your oven baked fries to be crispy like real ones, add a bit of sugar! So yummy! Very simple recipe:

3 russet potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch fries (It weighed about 550 grams)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt

You can use the salt and add any other seasoning or herb, or sub it out, whatever, just make sure the sugar is there, and you can probably use the olive oil cooking spray so you use a bit less.

Line cookie sheet with foil, spray it with nonstick spray, bake at 450 for 30 minutes

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I forgot about these. Maybe I will make some tomorrow. Sounds yummy
  • ashlielinn
    Options
    bump
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Love Oven fries! YUMMY!
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    So you just cut the potatoes into fry shape and sprinkle the sugar on them, along with the normal seasoning? And it actually makes them crispy?!? I'm going to try this and if it actually works, I may just have to hug you! LOL! Soggy oven fries have been really driving me crazy lately!!
  • StormChaser217
    StormChaser217 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I wonder if splenda does it too ? It's sugar !
  • dianer75935
    dianer75935 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I wonder if splenda does it too ? It's sugar !
    My guess is that it's anything that would caramelize under the heat of the oven.
  • jem728
    Options
    bump
  • hpygirl64ColleenLinder
    Options
    For much more nutrition value I would suggest using sweet potato ...so tasty and much healthier. ;0) Feel free to friend me you all for calorie free food for thought on my page daily. Colleen ;)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    What does the sugar do? I like to put salt, pepper, garlic, herbs, and a little parm on mine. I do them 50/50 with sweepotatoes and bake, then end under the broiler.
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    bump
  • reagansmom05
    Options
    then end under the broiler.

i just learned what the broiler is a few weeks ago and yes, it is a needed step for crispiness! but watch them closely!
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    saw Hungry Girl use turnips the other night gonna try them this week
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I typically nuke the potatos first to get them started and I toss them with Old Bay seasoning - yum :)