short girl macros

hey! I'm currently 112lbs at 5'1". I've lost around 80lbs through weight training and I'm currently trying to build more muscle.

question: what are your macros? mine are 130p/60f/200c but I usually don't hit my carbs. this is advice from a trainer so just curious if I should switch it up a bit as I'm still losing weight.

Replies

• Ara_the_halfelven
    Ara_the_halfelven Posts: 19 Member
    hey! I'm currently 112lbs at 5'1". I've lost around 80lbs through weight training and I'm currently trying to build more muscle.

question: what are your macros? mine are 130p/60f/200c but I usually don't hit my carbs. this is advice from a trainer so just curious if I should switch it up a bit as I'm still losing weight.

Your protein intake is good, and your fat should be about 25% of your total calories, but if you are still losing weight, that is because you are not reaching your maintenance level of calories. Get your total calorie count right, then as long as your protein level is good, don't worry too much about the others.
    For interest, my macros are 130p, 60f, 170c. And like you, I'm usually way below my carb. level and I go over a bit on fats, but its within my target range, and I'm currently doing a cut which is why my carb levels are so low.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    What does "switch it up a bit" mean?
    (Eat more perhaps?)

If you are losing weight when you want to maintain weight (if that's your goal?) that's simply you aren't eating enough calories. It's not macros, it's calories - although of course the two are inter-related.

No idea what my macros are in numbers as my calorie allowance tends to be pretty huge so I easily exceed my protein and fat minimums.

Here's a good thread about calories and macros - https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • mermaidthatlifts
    mermaidthatlifts Posts: 57 Member
    thanks for the help. my goal is to gain muscle right now. but I seem to continue to drop weight and while I don't really mind the way I'm looking so far, I'd definitely like to put on more muscle
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited June 2021
    If you're losing weight over a few weeks than your caloric intake is low.

If your goal is to gain, then add a couple hundred calories to your daily intake. After a 2-3 weeks if you still aren't gaining add more calories again. Once you are trending with a slow weight gain, hold the caloric intake until your weight stalls again or you reach your goal weight or look you are after.
  • jeromelloydstockton
    jeromelloydstockton Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 2021
    +1 what others have said here. Biologically, weight gain or loss is simple for the most; energy in/energy out. Protein is intake is fine, that's enough for you to be in a positive nitrogen (protein) balance.

Estimations are that your overall kcal intake is approx 1860 kcals. +250-500 kcals daily to that over time and you should add mass (body fat and muscle). Monitor your variables (scale weight, measurements, progress pictures) and if they're going in the direction you want, then you're on to a win. Your additional kcals don't have to come from protein, they can come from fats/carbs. If you're struggling with extra more volume of food then play around with fortifying what you already have - e.g. higher fat cheeses, cooking with oil rather than low-kcal sprays (basically the opposite of the general 'healthy eating' advice.

Don't get too caught up in 'this or that, this much vs. that much", just get started, monitor then go from there and make changes where needed. Best of luck!
  • capavenger81
    capavenger81 Posts: 107 Member
    I struggle with getting my macros right
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I'm 5'0" and 123lbs. I eat 35/30/35 p/f/c at 1500 calories right now, it's 131g/50g/131g. I struggle to reach my protein goals and usually go over in fat, the carbs are usually close. I don't watch it too closely. I'm losing at 1500, if I were to maintain I would be eating 1800. I would keep the protein at ~130g and increase the fats and carbs if I added calories.

112lbs at 5'1" is well within in the healthy range, you don't really need to lose any more and you have plenty of "room" to add muscle.