Help, Been Stuck Since May 27th!!!

Options
Help! I have hit a plateau and have been stuck there since May 27th. Not only have I hit the wall, I have gained back 5 of my previous 73 lost! I am at my wits end with this. I have been on Weight Watchers for 3 1/2 years and I absolutely love to workout! I was doing a 4.5 mile run/jog and then Turbo Fire 6 days a week and having success with that. Then May 27th hit and I gained, since then I have changed everything I can think of. I did no exercise for 2 weeks per my WW leader, and actually lost 4 lbs while on vacation, however we were in Colorado hiking the whole time, so..... When we got back I went back to workouts but alternated my days running with Turbo Fire and still nothing. I have now gone just Turbo Fire and am following the schedule to the letter, and yet nothing..... I am so disappointed when I get on that scale. My husband bought me a HRT a few weeks back because he is convinced I am not eating enough (which is nuts to me). Two weeks ago I called into a radio show that had a fitness trainer on there and her advice was that 'yes, I probably needed to give my body a break'. She said my body had been on a calorie deficit for 3 1/2 years and was 'lost' so to speak. She recommended this site and it does give me more food than WW did by my calculations however I am impatient (understatement) and have seen no real change in the two weeks. If I go to one more WW meeting and have a gain I think I'll have to injure someone! JK (maybe). If anyone has any suggestions I would love them! Please! I only have 15 more lbs to go, I just have to make it!

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    There's no magic answer to fix a plateau. Are you within a healthy weight range yet? Have you tried not pushing yourself so hard in your workouts? Have you tried zigzagging your calories? Google some ideas, and if any sound good and healthy, try them for a couple weeks.

I can relate. I was on a plateau from about mid May until early August. It was hella frustrating.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Congrats on how far you've already come! Don't forget to be proud of that accomplishment while you're going through a hard time temporarily.

This site is great and following their recommended calorie count has helped me lose quite a bit since May. Don't aim too low, put your setting at losing 1-1.5 lbs. a week. Most likely you just need to mix things up and surprise your body - maybe even eat more- or at least more variety. And when in doubt, there are lots of helpful people on the site who want to encourage one another.
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a totally different workout. P90X or ChaLean Extreme or Jillian Michaels 30 day shred w/walking. Change it up completely. That worked for me. I was doing 30 Day Shred for a while hit my plateau and got soo frustrated. I then bought ChaLean Extreme and started doing the elliptical machine then i started seeing results again.
  • rustyrn
    rustyrn Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what turbo fire is but I assume it is a work out video of some sort. Part of your problem might be that your body has gotten used to the routine, our bodies are great in that they can adapt. This is a bad thing if you are trying to loose weight, about every month or sooner you should change your workout. Try another video or if you can go to the gym and start some light weight training. Most of the videos and running only burn while you are doing them with weights you work the muscle and it has to rebuild over the next several days, this burns calories 24 hours a day. The actual work outs don't burn a high amount of calories like a aerobic session but in the long run muscle burns more calories. If you add 10 lbs of lean muscle it burns 500 cal over 24 hours. If you look online for a total body muscle building program they are out there, there are gym and home versions. The fitness person that told you about the calorie deficit needs to think about, small deficits are fine as long as you are eating protein and meeting your bodies daily needs. Good luck it looks like you have done a tremendous job so far keep it up you can make your goals.
  • btah02
    btah02 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the input guys! I really have been letting myself get consumed with this darn plateau and not focused on how far I have came. 4 years ago I would sit on the couch and eat and watch TV while the kiddos where at school, or come home and go back to bed. This has really been a lifestyle change for me, and I love the new person I have become. I just need to focus on the positive and know eventually it will 'hit' again. I will definitely try to change things up a little more to see what happens.