Night eater!!

Options
So last night it finally dawned on me that I am a compulsive eater at night. I get this feeling that I seriously need to eat something and always find myself chowing down after my son goes to bed. I know it's all about will power but can't seem to stop. Any suggestions?

Replies

• PBJunkie
    Options
    Perhaps save some of your calories to enjoy a snack in the late evenings.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Don't keep anything in the house that you can do some damage with. However, when you have a kid that can be hard. I don't keep cheese or bread or any kind of junk food around. And sometimes when I've been particularly bad with popcorn I won't buy more butter (I won't eat popcorn dry).
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I get this way if I don't have enough to eat throughout the day. Try eating a little more during the day, but still save some extra calorie room for more snacks at night. Popcorn is a great filling snack, and the right choice doesn't have a lot of fat or calories.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    So last night it finally dawned on me that I am a compulsive eater at night. I get this feeling that I seriously need to eat something and always find myself chowing down after my son goes to bed. I know it's all about will power but can't seem to stop. Any suggestions?

I am the same exact way. It is really hard for me for some reason.
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I am the same! I snack a TON at night. The only solution I can come up with that works for me, and this kinda sucks, but I go to bed early if I can. Seriously the only thing that works. I love watching tv with my husband and eating ice cream or something at the end of the day, but if I want to keep the weight off, I know I can't. It's just another choice I have to make.
  • angieklonaski
    Options
    i am terrible for this too! i love ice cream at night. so i thought i just won't buy any for a while.....then my hubby brought some home yesterday.....yikes! definitely my weakness.....
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    Don't keep anything in the house that you can do some damage with. However, when you have a kid that can be hard. I don't keep cheese or bread or any kind of junk food around. And sometimes when I've been particularly bad with popcorn I won't buy more butter (I won't eat popcorn dry).

I have to admit your avatar is quite a distraction...a good kind of distraction
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Perhaps save some of your calories to enjoy a snack in the late evenings.

I definitely do this. That way I can still snack, but I don't feel like I have lost control.
  • Pancake86
    Options
    Go to bed early. i used to do the same always ate about 10pm didnt matter what just felt i needed to snack. Drinking water fills you up but if you really must pick at something or have a nibble this list might help!!!

1 large apple and 5 almonds - 97 calories

1 small banana - 90 calories

2 medium peaches - 76 calories

5 Punnet of blueberries and 1tbsp fat-free Greek yoghurt - 90 calories

14 almonds - 98 calories

6 figs - 96 calories

200g fruit salad - 82 calories

1 pot of strawberry fromage frais and 6 cherries - 99 calories

1 small sweet potato - 100 calories

Jelly - 80 calories

xxx
  • StormChaser217
    StormChaser217 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem :noway: :frown:
  • jenniek419
    Options
    i can understand this one. being a mom on the go, i feel like sometimes during the day i don't get enough small healthy snacks in to be full later after dinner. i try and find good alternatives than grabbing icecream (which my hubby is notorious for ..but he doesn't need ot loose weight). i love kettle corn pop corn. so i buy the 98% fat free kind and have a glass of my fat free milk and it helps me feel like i got something yummy in
  • teee12
    teee12 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I find eating a carrot usually fills me up, It's better than chocolate at least! :)
  • teee12
    teee12 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Also carrots has negative calorie count, so it wont kill you. Maybe google it, pretty sure strawberries, carrots, broccoli all have negative calorie count :)
  • nurseholly78
    Options
    I used to be the same way. I have three kids so there is always yummy snack food in the house. The peanut butter jar would call my name and 1 spoonful would become 4! Every night I would go to bed stuffed! I thought about putting a lock on the pantry and giving the key to my husband. I just made the decision or the commitment to do that to myself. I put a little sign in my pantry that says "how bad do you want to feel good? Don't eat that crap anymore!" It's working for me... and I'm in the zone.
  • theburnetts1
    theburnetts1 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    So but my question is should you eat that late at night? I'm eating at 8:30-10:00 at night. Is it okay to exercise that late at night. I thought about doing the 30 day shred when my son goes to bed.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Change your expected eating habits. If you can't adapt your eating habits to your expectations, change your expectations. I eat at approximately 5:30 (breakfast), 10:30 (protein bar), 12 (lunch), 2:30 (protein shake or something), 7:30 (dinner), and 9:30 (whatever is left over). I started with "breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks" and slowly added on to the schedule to adapt to my real eating habits, not the ones I wished I had. This allows me to eat when I'm hungry and forces me to ge cognizant of my meal planning in order to fit them all in and still be efficient.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    So but my question is should you eat that late at night? I'm eating at 8:30-10:00 at night. Is it okay to exercise that late at night. I thought about doing the 30 day shred when my son goes to bed.

Do exercise whenever you want. I can't exercise that late, I'm still too amped to go to sleep at a decent time, but I would if I had to.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Despite popular belief, there is no real evidence to suggest there is any difference made by eating late at night. As far as exercise goes, whenever you can fit it in is best!

I would suggest eating reasonably light during the day so you have extra calories and pack a snack box for the evening - that you have already entered calories for. Pack it earlier in the day - before your snack cravings kick in, then you are more likely to avoid unhealthy choices.

Good luck!