Breakfast

Options
Could use some suggestings..... this area is one of my bigger obstacles. I rarely eat breakfast :(. If I do, it is usually nothing close to healthy. I can only handle eggs occassionally as I prefer them sunny side up. (scrambled tastes too bland) and I can't get past the texture of oatmeal. So, with that said, the two things I have heard in the past to be best choices are not choices I can commit to a lifetime change. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Toast with peanut butter, granolla (smal portion) & fruit, low sodium/low sugar breakfast sandwich, smoothie with fruit & yogurt & protein powder if you want.
  • joyr1982
    joyr1982 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    What about a protein smoothie? Or granola on top of greek yogurt?
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    wholemeal bread, toasted with a couple of boiled eggs
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    if you aren't hungry or prefer not to eat breakfast, you don't have too. just add in the cals to your other meals
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Leftovers from dinner?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Steak
  • Goose28in
    Goose28in Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My breakfast usually consists of a protein shake, skim milk and kashi cereal.
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    To my scrambled eggs I add veggies and hot sauce...give them taste!

Most breakfasts I have yogurt on cereal (special K, Fibre One etc), fruit, or a bagel with cream cheese or peanut butter! I find it hard to eat breakfast so I switch them up!
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Cereal (there are a plethora of options here) with or without milk, smoothies, toast, fruit, veggies... Also, breakfast doesn't have to mean "breakfast" food. Eat what you like.
  • erica14304
    erica14304 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I love flavored (blueberry is my fav) Chobani greek yogurt with the Special K granold on top. Yummy!
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    how about some healthy cereals? I am not an expert on this... nor do I follow this BUT i have traded my waffles :( (i miss them LOL) for rice krispie cereal!!!!!!! It has really helped! I have lost like almost 12 lbs this year. Not a great loss, but I'm down 35.7 lbs since 2009 so its a success for me!!!!!! I know I probably won't top my first year's weight loss of 24.3 lbs since I don't have much more to lose. I only want to lose 7.6 more lbs as of this morning :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Could use some suggestings..... this area is one of my bigger obstacles. I rarely eat breakfast :(. If I do, it is usually nothing close to healthy. I can only handle eggs occassionally as I prefer them sunny side up. (scrambled tastes too bland) and I can't get past the texture of oatmeal. So, with that said, the two things I have heard in the past to be best choices are not choices I can commit to a lifetime change. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Eat something you like. It doesn't have to be a "traditional" American breakfast food. Food is food no matter what time of day it is.
  • ehaynesworth1986
    Options
    Try the special k protein shakes! They taste really good and since you dont like to eat, it's just something to drink that will give you a small amount of calories but get your metabolism up and going for the morning. Vanilla is my fav flavor! GOOD LUCK!
  • stacyrhoades11
    stacyrhoades11 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am not a big breakfast eater either but I know that is a very important meal. I do the 100 calorie begal thins and hormel precooked bacon sometimes. only 170 calories and pretty filling! Also I do fiber one 90 calorie brownies, they have lots of fiber and taste really good for only 90 calories. Sometimes ill do yogurt but not a big fan of it. Ceareal is good too, i do special K. I'm not expert but this is what works for me!
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    My typical breakfast:
    Peanut Butter Sandwich on Whole Wheat bread - Lots of Protein and Fiber to tide you over until lunch.
    Coffee with non-dairy creamer - Caffeine to jumpstart the morning and metabolism.

Other things I sometimes have:
    Safeway Energy Bar Bagel with raisins - Protein and Fiber.
    Lean Pocket - cuz they're awesome. On a cold day, I want something hot.

I tend not to have time to cook and clean in the morning.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Toasted english muffin with peanut butter and jelly

Bread - Thomas - Whole Grain Light English Muffin, 1 Muffin 100 calories
    Jif - Creamy Peanut Butter , 1 tablespoon (half serving) 95 calories
    Smucker's - Concord Grape Jelly, 1 tbsp 50 calories
    Total - 245 calories
  • AngelOiCu812
    AngelOiCu812 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have to have my coffee, I just add cherrios w 1/2 tbs honey and 2% milk with a piece of fruit or cup of juice.
    Easy and not bad tasting you can varie the cereal just check the lables you want to keep the whole grains , low fat and low sugar..
    Hope this helps :smile:
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Veggies and hummus or some other dip, a piece of fruit and a cheese stick, yogurt, kefir smoothie, cottage cheese and tomato, dinner leftovers, can of tuna plain or flavored just to name a few off the top of my head.
  • cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Again, thanks to everyone. Maybe that is where I fail on breakfast!!! A few have stated it does not have to be breakfast, etc. Maybe I try to make my lifestyle changes seem too much like a "diet' with too many undesirable restrictions. Hmmmm??? Thanks for the eye-opener. I might have to take this tidbit of thought and put it toward my activities also! This site is SOOO helpful!
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    if you aren't hungry or prefer not to eat breakfast, you don't have too. just add in the cals to your other meals

Actually this is not true.

Given recommended sleep is for 7-8 hours a day, not eating breakfast is analagous to not eating dinner after a full day of work.

Your body has been spending the night repairing tissues and needs the fuel to continue working at peak performance. This is why eating something, even something simple first thing in the morning gives a metabolic boost through the day.

There are a ton of options that only take 3 mins to make. A protein smoothie with some whole grains and berries or a couple eggs with spinach and peppers are quick and easily digestable.

While in the end it's a personal choice....but peak performance for any activity dictates properly fuelling the body.