Whats the best kind of ice cream for a healthy diet?

Options

Replies

• kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    the weight watchers stuff is pretty good
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Sorbet's are good and the light ice creams are not bad. Moderation is the key. We've been making homemade sorbet and using Almond milk making all kinds of semi-frozen treats that are low cal. We freeze the almond milk into ice cubes and then pop those and more almond milk and fresh fruit, or chocolate into the blender and whip away.
    Our favorite one so far is Dark Chocolate Almond milk with a scoop of pure protein powder and some cinnamon and a touch of vanilla extract. Pour into popsicle molds (rubbermaid) and presto tastes like frozen choco mousse pops with the benefit of protein and only like 46 calories.
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Dreyer's Coffee Ice Cream! You can eat twice as much as most regular ice cream! <3
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    It's actually kind of difficult to make decent home made ice cream without moderate amounts of fat to keep the ice crystals from getting too big. I've tried various combinations for years and can't get anything decent without at least 1/2 half-and-half to milk or a custard base which just adds fat. You can make a decent dessert by making sugar free pudding with twice the recommended milk, letting it set the running that through the ice cream maker. It's not quite ice cream, but it's pretty good.

As for store-bought, maybe it's just me, but I think Skinny Cow tastes like sawdust mixed with cocoa and the texture is all slimy from the excess of carageenan that they include in an attempt to make it "smooth."

I really, really like Breyer's Smooth and Dreamy. My favorite is the Dark Chocolate Velvet, but all the flavors I've tried are pretty good. It also quite natural, which skinny Cow is not. It doesn't even have HFCS if you care about that, just regular corn syrup.

Serving Size: 1/2 cup Servings Per Container: 12
    AMOUNT PER SERVING
    Calories 110
    Total fat 3.5g
    Saturated fat 2g
    Trans fat 0g
    Cholesterol 10mg
    Sodium 90mg
    Total Carbohydrates 18g
    Dietary fiber 1g
    Sugars 13g
    Sugar Alcohol
    Protein 3g
    Vitamin A 6%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 8%
    Iron 8%
    Ingredients
    Skim Milk, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Cream, Whey, Carob Bean Gum, Beta Carotene (Vitamin A).

here's a tip to prevent ice crystals when using almond milk etc, use xanthan gum. i've made some homemade fryos using greek yogurt, protein powder and almond milk, added about .75tsp of xanthan and worked well
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Get any kind that has an ingredients list you can actually pronounce and know what they are. And then enjoy it in a proper portion size, no regrets or worries. Ice cream will never be a health food but a little bit of every kind of REAL food in moderation is ok! When the ingredients start looking like lists of chemicals and artificial crap, steer clear!

Yup, this is my philosophy too. I don't trust the ingredients in a lot of those low cal "treats" and I don't think its a good long term strategy to find a product that has artificially low calories so you can continue to eat artificially high portions.
    Better to find one that has actual cream and sugar and fruit and enjoy a little bit of it.
    You're probably not in Australia - but if you ever see any Weis icecream - it's delicious and full fat but a single serving size is not very high in cals.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    here's a tip to prevent ice crystals when using almond milk etc, use xanthan gum. i've made some homemade fryos using greek yogurt, protein powder and almond milk, added about .75tsp of xanthan and worked well
    Thanks, I'll give that a try. I experimented with xanthan gum years ago to thicken sauces when I was following Adkins, but I haven't had it around the house since I've had the ice cream maker so it hasn't crossed my mind. I'll bet it would work well in home made yogurt, too.
  • fatty2fabby
    fatty2fabby Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    if you're in the uk sainsbury be good to yourself frozen vanilla is so good!
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    What you might want to look into is popsicles. I was shocked how low in calories some popsicles are, and still taste great. Had a orange creamsicle popsicle that was 100 calories the other day
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    It's actually kind of difficult to make decent home made ice cream without moderate amounts of fat to keep the ice crystals from getting too big. I've tried various combinations for years and can't get anything decent without at least 1/2 half-and-half to milk or a custard base which just adds fat. You can make a decent dessert by making sugar free pudding with twice the recommended milk, letting it set the running that through the ice cream maker. It's not quite ice cream, but it's pretty good.

As for store-bought, maybe it's just me, but I think Skinny Cow tastes like sawdust mixed with cocoa and the texture is all slimy from the excess of carageenan that they include in an attempt to make it "smooth."

I really, really like Breyer's Smooth and Dreamy. My favorite is the Dark Chocolate Velvet, but all the flavors I've tried are pretty good. It also quite natural, which skinny Cow is not. It doesn't even have HFCS if you care about that, just regular corn syrup.

Serving Size: 1/2 cup Servings Per Container: 12
    AMOUNT PER SERVING
    Calories 110
    Total fat 3.5g
    Saturated fat 2g
    Trans fat 0g
    Cholesterol 10mg
    Sodium 90mg
    Total Carbohydrates 18g
    Dietary fiber 1g
    Sugars 13g
    Sugar Alcohol
    Protein 3g
    Vitamin A 6%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 8%
    Iron 8%
    Ingredients
    Skim Milk, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Cream, Whey, Carob Bean Gum, Beta Carotene (Vitamin A).

I have that in my freezer right now! I was surprised at how few ingredients there are. Usually light ice creams have tons of unpronounceable ingredients. I love Breyers!
  • fieldfare
    Options
    Don't know if you can get it in the US but Swedish Glace is scrumptious, healthy and comes in five flavours - raspberry, blueberry, rich chocolate, vanilla and neopolitan. Is a dairy-free, gluten-free, cholesterol-free, GM-free and lactose-free frozen dessert, a 100g serving is about 200 calories.
  • meg_sue
    meg_sue Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I used to get the weight watchers ice cream bars or the skinny cow bars. Now I go to Braum's and get their frozen yogurt. It's cheaper then the ice cream bars from skinny cow or weight watchers, the calories are about the same.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I like Breyers no sugar added and Turkey Hill light.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options

Silly question: what do you make your homemade fro-yo in? Is the process the same as regular ice cream where you need to get a machine so that it's churned the whole time when you're making it?
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    i eat ice cream and fit into my calories and stuff and i'm fine. i recommend skinny cow - though some people i've seen on here can't eat just one, I can and they are delicious.

or just get regular ice cream, maybe reduced fat or no sugar added and get small sundae bowls instead of using cereal bowls! will cut down on your portion. the ones i have you really can only fit in a 1/2 cup or 1 cup serving.

also, have you ever heard of Arctic Zero? it's an ice cream replacement, 150 calories per PINT!!!!! it is not "real" ice cream but i just tried it over the weekend and im sorry but i couldn't even tell!!! it was delicious :) it's got protein and and stuff so i didn't even eat the whole pint, i just ate 1 serving at a time (1/2 cup at 37 calories each!!!) you can get it at whole foods.
  • liveletl0ve
    Options
    best kind of icecream is no icecream!
  • caroln3
    caroln3 Posts: 217
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing, I've still been eating ice cream like once or twice a week. I just had some on Sunday, Breyer's Neopolitan. I just had half a cup though compared to scoops and scoops and then seconds that I used to have before. I think that's why I am losing weight very slowly.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Give Yasso Greek Yogurt bar a try - creamy, tasty and healthy:

http://www.teamyasso.com/
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    best kind of icecream is no icecream!

blasphemy. I will ask you to kindly stop talking like that to me, using that kind of offensive language. that's like proposing removal of chocolate and wine, you might as well slit my wrists while you're at it.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    If I were to eat some ice cream, I'd go for Haagen Dazs or Ben and Jerry's and really enjoy some good ice cream in a smaller portion.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Ben and Jerry's or Haagen Dazs

That's what I was going to say. I'd rather have 1/2 cup of REAL delicious ice cream than an entire bowl full of mediocre bleh.