Protein: 1g/lb bodyweight or lean mass weight?

Options
MDC2957
MDC2957 Posts: 417 Member
I keep seeing information that says to eat 1g of protein per pound of body weight to gain/maintain muscle. But then I also see information that says it should be 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass, i.e., subtract your fat weight from your total weight and eat that amount.. Which is true?

I would think that the lean body mass number isn't even correct because our bodies are composed of more than just fat and muscle. We have bones, skin, organs, water, blood, etc. So if the goal is to eat 1gram per pound of lean mass, wouldn't that number be much less than the supposed lean body mass calculation?

What's the right number to go by?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's actually a range. Its 1.5-2.2g/kg of weight. Just don't overthink it and train hard.
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    per kg of lean body weight would make sense. Maintaining fat just requires calories, not protein.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    MDC2957 wrote: »
    We have bones, skin, organs, water, blood, etc.

All that is lean mass too.
    Bodyweight minus your approximate fat mass = your lean mass.

For someone who is carrying a lot of fat then going by lean mass makes more sense, the leaner you are and if you are cutting then aim for the higher end of the range.

Both ways are "true" for different people in different situations.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Since there's really no way to accurately measure "lean body mass" from day to day, I'd just rely on your actual body weight and go with 0.8-1 gm of protein per # of that.

At least, that was what I use to do what I was trying to build muscle mass by lifting heavy and eating a lot of protein.
  • crmzn
    crmzn Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Most of the info you get is given by people trying to sell protein or sell advertising space to supplement companies. 1) lean mass is a better measurement. 2)Try 1g per target weight.