Needing a Macros Counting Food Log Example

Options
Does anyone know of a good macros food log from someone eating right?

I am struggling to get my macros count down, at the end of the day I am either way under my protein or over my carbs. I never ate healthy growing up, I'm not sure what is processed and what is not. I would just love to see the journal of someone fit and healthy and hitting all of their goals, so I know what to eat and how to manage my days. I need serious nutriion/food help, please!! Been working out for 12 weeks and I have barely seen changes. ):

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The good news is that you don't have to worry about what is processed and what isn't. Your body can't really tell the difference between those foods, it's really "looking" at the calories and the macro- and micronutrients in it. It's true that there are some processed foods that tend to be higher calorie and lower nutrient (an example would be potato chips), but there are also some processed foods that can be reasonable in calories and higher nutrient (a good example would be some protein powders). When I decide whether or not to eat a food, I'm never really evaluating if it's processed or not, I'm looking at the calories and nutrients . . . and, of course, sometimes eating some foods just for enjoyment anyway!

If you share what your macro goals are, you may get some help from people who are currently eating that way.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,049 Member
    Options
    dsduree618 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a good macros food log from someone eating right?

I am struggling to get my macros count down, at the end of the day I am either way under my protein or over my carbs. I never ate healthy growing up, I'm not sure what is processed and what is not. I would just love to see the journal of someone fit and healthy and hitting all of their goals, so I know what to eat and how to manage my days. I need serious nutriion/food help, please!! Been working out for 12 weeks and I have barely seen changes. ):

To Jane's very good comments, I'd add that it isn't essential to hit macros exactly, nor to hit them every single day. For people without special health conditions, it can be fine to think of protein and fats as minimums, calories as a target (to get close to, a little high or low, circling around goal as an average most of the time). With proteins & fats, if a little over one day, a little under the next, averaging out over a few days, that's completely fine, too. The occasional day way out of pattern is meaningless, when reasonably rare.

So, if you're persistently under on protein, it would be good to work on that. But it's OK to chip away at that, remodeling your eating gradually. If you didn't start out malnourished or with a diagnosed deficiency, dialing in better nutrition isn't an urgent crisis.

When you say "been working out for 12 weeks and I have barely seen changes", what changes are you going for? There are some possible life changes that are mainly about nutrition, but some of the common biggies, weight management and fitness, aren't chiefly about macro-exactitude.

Weight management, directly, is about calorie intake, specifically getting the intake lower than calorie expenditure. (Nutrition can have indirect effects on weight management, for example via energy level/fatigue or cravings/calorie-compliance, but the direct effect is still calories in and out.) Fitness is usually predominantly about the workout program's suitability to one's specific goals, and fitness development - especially muscle-mass increase - is a slow, gradual thing, requiring both a good workout program(s), consistency, and patience. Nutrition can matter for fitness, but usually it's secondary to program, as long as nutrition isn't truly awful.

I'm active exercise-wise, mostly make the progress I'm wanting to make at this stage, maintaining a healthy weight (after losing from obese to healthy 5+ years ago). I don't think lots about how processed my food is or isn't, but do make it a point to manage my calorie intake (still log most days), hit protein/fat minimums (100g protein and 50g fats, in my case), and eat a boatload of varied, colorful veggies & fruits (generally minimum 5 80g servings, ideally 10). You're welcome to send me a friend request, if that interests you, because my diary is open to friends . . . but you'll find processed foods, even beer, wine, chocolates, and those kinds of things in there, in addition to so-called "healthy" foods; and I'm eating at maintenance calories. 🤷‍♀️
  • Sara3veg
    Sara3veg Posts: 48 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Op, it might be helpful if you made your diary public so we could take a peek and get a better idea of what's going on.

My diary is open but I've only been back to logging since last week, so there's not a lot to see yet. I just went with the default macros setting and set my goal for .5lb a week loss. I don't really pay attention to my macros though, since it's really calories that matter for weight loss, (I don't have any health/medical issues that require me to pay attention to macros). I've been a bit over/under on calories every day since I've started logging and I've lost more than expected so far. Exercise is very minimal with a few walks sprinkled in.
  • crmzn
    crmzn Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My food diary is open. I’m keto (Ketogains protocol, not the really high fat *kitten*), and do IF 5-6 days a week.