Calorie deficit

Options
do I have to eat the same calories everyday

Replies

• work_again
    work_again Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    No. To be in a deficit you just need to eat less than you take in. MFP helps give you a target, and exercise will add to the number of calories you can eat.
    • A deficit will lead to weight loss.
    • Staying close to level (CICO - calories in calories out) will maintain
    • A surplus will lead to weight gain (the lifters do this with loads of protein to add muscle)

so if your goal is 1200 a day. You can eat 1150 today. 1000 tomorrow. 1200 the next day. And you'd be in a deficit.
  • lmf1012
    lmf1012 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    No, you can average it out so you still have a calorie deficit for the week. So... if your daily deficit is 500, your weekly deficit is 3500 and you can vary your calories daily to fit into that.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,140 Member
    Options
    work_again wrote: »
    No. To be in a deficit you just need to eat less than you take in. MFP helps give you a target, and exercise will add to the number of calories you can eat.
    • A deficit will lead to weight loss.
    • Staying close to level (CICO - calories in calories out) will maintain
    • A surplus will lead to weight gain (the lifters do this with loads of protein to add muscle)

so if your goal is 1200 a day. You can eat 1150 today. 1000 tomorrow. 1200 the next day. And you'd be in a deficit.

To add to this, anything under your maintenance calories is a deficit, so you might also find that it is more sustainable to have a smaller deficit or maintenance day sometimes, I found this inparticular around ovulation/PMS week.

If for example you chose a 2lb per week loss and that gave you 1300 calories, that would put your maintenance at 2300 calories, so if you ate 1300 calories most of the week and then 2000 calories a day at the weekend, you would still be in a deficit of 5600 calories over the entire week.

You don't have to be perfect all of the time, as long as what you do most of the time keeps you on track.
  • nadinebanda3048
    nadinebanda3048 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice help me alot with it
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    If you've chosen a 2 lbs per week weight loss goal and you get 1200 calories, don't automatically think you can add 1000 to that to get maintenance - It may be less; especially if you have less than 50 lbs. to lose, and/or are a short person, or a woman - and especially if you are all three! Run the numbers for maintenance, separately.
  • judefit1
    judefit1 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Also be careful of adding back exercise calories- I find that the "calories burned" that MFP uses aren't always accurate for exercise.
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    No.

I eat 600 calories on 3 days and 1700 calories on 4 days.