Constantly eating over my calories and struggling to maintain a deficit. What do you guys do?! Help!

2»

Replies

• Lark13
    Lark13 Posts: 21 Member
    Your experience of course maybe different, but I think your calorie count is too low for sustainability. My (former) weight and activity level were virtually identical to yours. I consistently lost 1/2 to 1 pounds per week eating 1800 calories daily. It was sustainable and steady. I also ate at the same time everyday, including a planned am and pm snack, so I was never famished.
  • Rimtimtim
    Rimtimtim Posts: 21 Member
    edited June 2021
    If you switch to maintenance, how many calories do you get? Starting out I set my goal to high, realized I wasn't going to eat 1200 calories a day and set my goal to maintenance and aimed to eat 300 calories below that, but the real goal was not go above it.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    Also, one other piece of advice sticks in my mind… Your stomach holds the same size no matter how hungry you are. So even if you are “starving”, only eat ONE serving. It seems we typically grab this, that, and the other to scarf down… but you really only need the “this” to take away the hunger.

I love this. It's so obvious, and yet I'd never thought of it before.
  • joyanna2016
    joyanna2016 Posts: 323 Member
    I like to feel full. For me, I've found time restricted eating to be the most helpful tool I've found this go round. I only eat from 3-10 pm most days, but I get to eat a lot in those hours! I know it seems counter intuitive to what we've been taught our whole lives about eating, but for me it works and It may work for you. Its easier for me to not eat a little while and then eat more than to eat little meals all day long. Maybe start with just skipping one meal? It's an idea. It may not be right for you, but its right for me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,486 Member
    Sometimes it's just making sure you save your calories for habitual eating. I habitual eat at night between 9pm and 11pm. So I make sure I save calories for that time. I'm NOT a big morning eater at all so I don't worry about eating in the am and normally don't feel hungry at all.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Fallfrenzy
    Fallfrenzy Posts: 118 Member
    This is a habit of logging and truly resisting certain temptations for me. I stopped logging for a while and realized that when I did start logging just how much I was overeating in calories for my goals. When I get hungry and I have goals in mind that I want to meet, lately I have been having cucumbers with dijon mustard. I have something low in calories, high in snack value for me. I have been staying away from sugary and processed stuff as snacks. I agree with others on measuring out stuff. For example, although a scoop is provided with protein powder, they also give grams per scoop. I find that many times it will either be over or under, so measuring is important.

I make sure that I have enough lean protein with each meal, as protein keeps you fuller longer.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,400 Member
    One thing I do when recalculating my calories and lower them is I use natural appetite suppressants. Apple cider vinagar, cinnamon and ginger are my go to. Apple cider vinegar in the morning before teeth brushing. Tea with added ginger at lunch. Then hot cocoa 2 cups with water and 2 scoops of ovaltine and added cinnamon. For suppressing appetite hot beverages work better for me than cold ones.

Just because someone mentions the dreaded ACV doesn’t mean they’re proposing it as a diet plan.

Absolutely hot beverages work for me, too, regardless of weather.

I enjoy two spicy chai lattes, with lovely mounds of frothed skim milk, liberally doused in cinnamon every afternoon. 37 calories apiece. These luxurious, satisfying treats are a very important element in holding my appetite off between snacks or before bedtime.

Hot drinks can’t be drunk quickly, so being forced to slow down and savor them is very effective.

Btw, I love ginger, too. I put a cube of thawed Dorot frozen ginger cubes (available at Trader Joe’s and Lidl) in my pumpkin pudding every night, along with a shedload of regular powdered ginger. It really amps up the flavor.
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    One thing I do when recalculating my calories and lower them is I use natural appetite suppressants. Apple cider vinagar, cinnamon and ginger are my go to. Apple cider vinegar in the morning before teeth brushing. Tea with added ginger at lunch. Then hot cocoa 2 cups with water and 2 scoops of ovaltine and added cinnamon. For suppressing appetite hot beverages work better for me than cold ones.

Just because someone mentions the dreaded ACV doesn’t mean they’re proposing it as a diet plan.

I enjoy two spicy chai lattes, with lovely mounds of frothed skim milk, liberally doused in cinnamon every afternoon. 37 calories apiece. These luxurious, satisfying treats are a very important element in holding my appetite off between snacks or before bedtime.

Hot drinks can’t be drunk quickly, so being forced to slow down and savor them is very effective.

Btw, I love ginger, too. I put a cube of thawed Dorot frozen ginger cubes (available at Trader Joe’s and Lidl) in my pumpkin pudding every night, along with a shedload of regular powdered ginger. It really amps up the flavor.

I appreciate that you didn't jump to assumptions. I am an emotional eater and I struggle with binge eating. To adjust to 1720 calories after I've been not logging my food and eating say 3,000+ calories is very hard the first 2 weeks. I studied both mental health resources like weightloss meditation and appetite suppressants that are safe as tools to stop food addiction behavior and form healthy habits. I do not aim to lose more than 7lbs per month and sometimes only lose 4lbs. There are times I start to slip into bad behaviors of over eating and recommit using audio weightloss meditation and safe appetite suppressants. I do not go below 1500calories because I'm active and don't eat exercise calories back. Some of us need extra tools to break food addiction behavior or poor impulse control especially in the beginning 2 weeks of a deficit. Writing a diary helps a lot of people too. Yes people with disordered eating can abuse natural appetite suppressants but they are many cultures utilize these things to promote health and most people use them in moderation in a way that doesn't hinder their health at all. I can say my physical, mental and emotional health are improved by these things.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,400 Member

I appreciate that you didn't jump to assumptions. I am an emotional eater and I struggle with binge eating. To adjust to 1720 calories after I've been not logging my food and eating say 3,000+ calories is very hard the first 2 weeks. I studied both mental health resources like weightloss meditation and appetite suppressants that are safe as tools to stop food addiction behavior and form healthy habits. I do not aim to lose more than 7lbs per month and sometimes only lose 4lbs. There are times I start to slip into bad behaviors of over eating and recommit using audio weightloss meditation and safe appetite suppressants. I do not go below 1500calories because I'm active and don't eat exercise calories back. Some of us need extra tools to break food addiction behavior or poor impulse control especially in the beginning 2 weeks of a deficit. Writing a diary helps a lot of people too. Yes people with disordered eating can abuse natural appetite suppressants but they are many cultures utilize these things to promote health and most people use them in moderation in a way that doesn't hinder their health at all. I can say my physical, mental and emotional health are improved by these things.

I think you are doing what I did. I started here at 1470. I don’t even know where I got that number. It just “sounded good”. The weight fell off, but several months in, my dietician recommended increasing it.

It is hard to increase. My “reward center” responded so positively to the weight coming off, and I was terrified of stalling out or even gaining. I had to force myself to add a couple hundred calories. You get used to it really quick, though.

Three months after that I started with a personal trainer and the first thing she did was insist I bump it up yet again. Rinse and repeat with the mental handwringing.

Same as you, I stuck with a flat calorie plan slightly above TDEE, and didn't eat my exercise calories back. It was just easier mentally for me to have a line in the sand. I also eat the same foods over and over, because I enjoy them, am a bit OCD, and because I can be more confident in knowing where my calories stand at any point in the day by doing quick math in my head.

I still don’t eat my exercise “back”. I try to stick with a daily of 2200, giving me room once every week or so to have some cookies, extra pizza, or that unexpected pack of graham crackers I scarfed down the other night. I’m currently averaging about 2500 per day.

I think by “safe appetite suppressants” you’re referring to are the natural ones you mention like the ACV, and ginger products? For me, it’s hot drinks. If I have a two or three hour gap between meals or snacks, I fill it with chai. That’s my suppressant. It’s meditative to make, too hot to be swilled down quickly, and tastes wonderful, of course. Plus it forces me to sit down with a book, magazine or MFP and relax fir a few minutes mid day, which I no longer do otherwise.

Interesting you mention diarying. I’ve only done it once, during a thirty day yoga challenge, and to my utter and complete amazement I broke two deeply held lifelong habits. For me, it worked crazy well, and led to permanent change. I think that posting here on the boards has fulfilled some of the same function as the diary and kept me out of trouble with food.

You’re not under eating, you’re exercising, you’ve researched and got a handle on this. I can only compare to my very similar trajectory, but FWIW I think you’re doing great. You do what works for you, and much success to you. Hope you’ll be a long-hauler. I plan to be!
  • lkn42
    lkn42 Posts: 37 Member
    zichroni wrote: »
    Hello people of MFP. I could use input on what I can do to maintain my calories or see if I'm doing something wrong.

About me: 28F, SW:181, CW:173, GW:150. My daily limit is 1400 cals/day but I'm averaging 1700 - and often eat closer to 2000. I do light jogging twice a week and on other days I walk an hour a day and do 30m pilates or barre workouts. At this point, I'm just eating back the calories I burn and then some.

What am I doing wrong?! How do you all maintain deficit without feeling like you're starving yourselves?

ETA: I'm 5'3"

You and I are very similar in that I'm 5'3" as well and my SW:189, CW:175, GW:150 and my daily limit is 1480. I'm not getting as much exercise as you, I'm only walking minimum of 8000 steps per day for now. Like you, I enjoy eating all of my unwise calories choices are made between 8:00pm - midnight. I do not by any means claim to be a pro at this but I'm finding a small amount of success in keeping fruit in the house for times when my willpower is feel weak. And I've been eating whatever I want....but just a few bites of things that are not so good choices and then have some salad or fruit with it to fill myself up.
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 351 Member
    I had to slow down my eating and also decide, am I truly hungry or am I just overthinking about it? A lot of times I would review my calorie intake for the day and typically have some water...flavored water also makes it feel more like a treat.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Sometimes it's just making sure you save your calories for habitual eating. I habitual eat at night between 9pm and 11pm. So I make sure I save calories for that time. I'm NOT a big morning eater at all so I don't worry about eating in the am and normally don't feel hungry at all.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This is exactly what I do. I don't like food in the morning. I do like an evening snack. I just shift my calories later and it avoids the whole fighting the habit thing. Sometimes that evening snack is even something like eggs on toast, making it my breakfast anyway I just get to eat it when I want to be eating!