Horsey people - Parelli/ natural horsemanship method?

Options
FTIM2015
FTIM2015 Posts: 460 Member
If you have seen it used, or used it yourself, how did you find it? (yes I have this on a horse forum too, but they're even more bi*chy than here can be!)

Long story short, difficult 3yr old TB mare, hand reared, absolute bi*ch to do anything with, waiting for the day she gets me cornered!

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I live on a horse rescue ranch my family started 15 years ago. My mom still works with the horses and our team of 50 volunteers are instructed exclusively using Parelli Natural Horsemanship techniques. I highly recommend it. It's been working for us for 15 years. The horses we get are abused and neglected with many emotional, physical and behavioral problems. The Parelli methods are ideal for compassionate, effective horse handling.

Definitely get the tools recommended, namely the carrot stick and Parelli halter. Start out with the 7 games and work your way up.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • littlemissanguissette
    littlemissanguissette Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Not a fan, really. I've ran into plenty of horses that were "trained" using Parelli/Natural Horsemanship and they were brats. I will come back and elaborate later, I have to get ready for work. What forum did you post on? Horse Grooming Supplies is the best forum out there in my opinion, I'm Jess! on there.
  • FTIM2015
    Options
    It's on horse and hound (uk site). Looking at getting one of the halters as the little mare I help with is vile and the owner has zero control over her, and she daily tried to bite, kick ,barge me out of the way, rears up at you, chases you. I'm sure she thinks it's a GREAT game, I however don't enjoy being chased by a stupid 3yo TB!
  • fitcrew
    fitcrew Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I was a trainer for 15 yrs,used a few of his methods but steer more towards Clinton Anderson methods......TBs can be difficult....owned a few that were terrible and a few that were amazing like one of the mares I own now......It sounds as if your mare is obviously lacking forward motiion because she is rearing.....when they dont or cant go in any other direction they choose up.....its important to first find out WHY she is rearing and then fix it from there....the best place to start is on a lunge line or better yet a round pen so you can let her go or get out of her way.... scare factor can be one reason....shes got you dooped in thinking she is a fire breathing dragon and she sees that fear when she rears....pay attention to your reaction....do you reprimand her when she rears?How do you reprimand? Some rear because they have no forward motion....GET HER *kitten* MOVIN!!!! Round pens are great for this type of rearer because you can teach them cues to move that butt and engage their brain.... the "when I click you better move attitude" is best :) Some horses rear out of general fear or confusion.....all in all more ground work and rerouting of training is needed for this type......Only after you have exhausted efforts to find out WHY your horse is rearing then it can be fixed.....Finding a local professional trainer with a good history is a great idea because rearing can be extremely dangerous!! I have had more than my fair share of real bad ones and had some near misses :) Good luck !!!!
  • fitcrew
    fitcrew Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Just saw your last post......she needs a manners check big time.....a simple halter will not due.....you need to put the fear of god into that mare and check her BIGTIME.....No abuse necessary but she needs a whoopin for that behavior.....she is way too old and way too big (I am assuming) to be acting like that....if she is still like that after training there may be no hope :(
  • FTIM2015
    Options
    She's a good 16hh and pretty fit. She knows full well that she scares me, although I'm getting braver with her, problem with a muddy field and no pen/ school is i have no footing to scare her and get out of the way if she comes at me.

Thinking may try one of the kids toys that make an almighty din when they're shaken so if she starts I can leap about with it!

It's such a shame that she's been spoilt, she's teething still we think as she's chewing EVERYTHING!, problem when they're not yours is making them behave without the owner thinking you're being cruel, as they see nothing wrong with her 'playing'. Will set the camera up tonight ans see if I can't catch some of her behaviour on film. You watch, she'll be sweet as a nut tonight!
  • vinnysgirl
    vinnysgirl Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you have problems, they are far to big and strong to have the upper hand.

I don't have much knowledge re Parelli, as I have never felt the need to use it on any of my horses, it's a very controversial subject and always raises a good debate.

Don't rule out diet being a contributory factor, is she chewing wood ? If so, could be lack of fibre

Best of luck, they should be there to be enjoyed, not to scare us x
  • FTIM2015
    Options
    she chewy anything that doesn't move fast enough! thay're all on a small feed of chaff, sugarbeet, mix and build up for the skinny boy, fed in their stables. 2x slices of hay twice a day and out all day although the grazing it poor :frown:

They want m to show her but as i told them, there's no way i'm taking her in a ring behaving like that!
  • LuneBleu85
    LuneBleu85 Posts: 217
    Options
    I've known a lot of people who have had success with Parelli, it can't hurt to give it a try. I had a very neurotic thoroughbred when I was a teenager. I took a lot of info from of different places to keep him focused and thinking (if I could get him interested in an activity he would spend more time thinking than running around like a maniac). I did some round pen work and brought weird things into the arena (tarps etc). He became the most fabulous horse in the world after he started learning how to think instead of how to panic, we built a lot of trust. Best of luck with your mare! :)
  • wendyleffingwell
    Options
    I think Clinton Anderson is easier to understand - you can figure it out just from reading his green book. Not sure without seeing her do her stuff if she is just playing young/stupid stuff or actually going at you dangerous. Be careful, if no one knows how to deal with her there find someone who can.
  • FTIM2015
    Options
    Hi wendy. Some of it is silly baby stuff which I'm used to from when our old horses were young and even more daft than her, but when you push her away, or try and lead her the 'look' starts and you get ready to shift it quick because teeth and or feet are gonna be coming at you!

Problem I discovered last night (she seems to have remembered that she was bitten back the last 2 times she got me, so no biting, score!) was that the girl who owns her is teaching her to give kisses! I don't mean the 'i'm gonna bump my nose to you for a treat', i mean mouthing you if you stand too close and she thinks you have treats! For gods sake she has teeth, and she isn't afraid to use them!

Urgh I HATE trying to work with other peoples horses when they think every stupid or dangerous thing that they do is funny!
  • MAGNIFIEDME
    MAGNIFIEDME Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have a 11yr old paint Lee - he's a LBI/LBE and I'm a LBE/RBE so we get along pretty good but he loves to push my buttons - he's never sure what he's going to get either a full of energy playmate or a frustrated dope on a rope.
    I'm 44 - bought him when I turned 40 - sometimes wished I hadn't but Parelli has made a difference in the way I act and behave just as it has for him.
  • jumperchick
    Options
    i really like parelli, i also like clinton anderson and buck brannaman. do a lot of reading/watching and try out some techniques and do what works for you and your horse.

did anyone see the movie Buck about buck brannaman ? if you havent, i highly reccommend it !
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Try the Natural Horsemanship site for some tips etc :)
    I have used the 'join up' by monty roberts and regularly free-schooled my youngster - he's now 5 and have been riding out 6 times a week till the last 2 weeks, I've down graded rides etc due to heading to Uni but have got a friend helpnig me by riding him once a week too from next week. :)

Anyway.. free schooling is fab, teaches the 'send away' and then keep them moving till they drop their head, lick lips and 'give' in terms of dominance. My lad is strong and a leader in terms of herd and people sometimes, He is perfect at walking with respect and this has transferred into our ridden work too.

When my boy was younger and started 'half rearing' I have used a lead rope through a head collar (across nose) and lunged with a rope over the ears too (clipped onto the opposite side of the bit - both work a treat as a way of better control - similar to a Monty Roberts headcollar I believe. :)

I have seen parelli video's but not actually used it so can't quote on that.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan. I think there's a lot of snakeoil being sold (Linda's saddle that CORRECTS conformation?? pah-leeze) and I have seen A LOT of horses ruined by all the rope shaking and what-not. I also don't like all the branded accessories or dogmatic training program.

Parelli himself has good results, but a lot of amateurs get lost in the process and do more harm than good.

Join-up and being able to move a horse around with your body is the extent of my use of "natural horsemanship" techniques. Once a horse is paying attention to you and reliably moving away from pressure I employ classical technique. All horses in all disciplines should go by the same set of natural aids.

I have been training horses for almost 20 years and come from a long line of compassionate horsepeople.
  • ctprofessional
    ctprofessional Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I use pieces of it with all my horses and clients. If you don't have confidence or you are afraid of her then you need help. Its very easy to make a horse a monster through fear, so get some real help on the ground to establish who is in charge. I dont buy into all the fancy sticks, but a good rope halter and heavy long lead are a must.
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Parelli is NOT the way to go with the horse. And it my opinion it is not the way to go for a lot of horses. There is controversy around Pat and his Wife for a REASON. I have seen some horrible things be done by those two AND by their followers... Step away from the parelli, ESPECIALLY if she is already behaving in a "spoiled" fashion.

Questions:
    1. What are the situations that cause rearing?
    2. Does she walk all over you? Into you? Bump you with her body? If so, how do you respond?
    3. TB? Is she off the track?
    4. Teething? What?? If she is chewing is she cribbing?? This is often a neurotic type behaviour, do you have a collar on her? Is she getting all of her necessary minerals? If she is from a racetrack stomach ulcers could also be an issue. Has a vet seen her?

A halter is NOT going to fix this. You need to get her on a lead rope with a decent (no name brand) rope halter and you need to carry a big, solid crop. If that horse gets an inch into your space you get them out of it immediately. Start by raising your hand and if they keep pushing, tap with the crap, gradually increasing pressure. If you need to wail on her, it means she has NO RESPECT for you. Time to establish that. (No, smacking a horse that isn't paying attention/ walking all over you is NOT abuse). Man yourself with a crop or stick and OWN that space. Smack to the nose if moving to bite, disengage those hinds if she is moving to kick. You MAKE her back up 20 feet until her ears are on you and she is listening. Pull her out of the mud, do it on the driveway if necessary to make sure you and her both have your feet under you. It is even MORE important that she have these manners in place in crappy footing.

Edited to Add: I think what you need to do, since this isn't your horse, is tell the owner that the horse is a danger to you and others and that you cannot continue to board her unless training occurs by a professional.
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I use pieces of it with all my horses and clients. If you don't have confidence or you are afraid of her then you need help. Its very easy to make a horse a monster through fear, so get some real help on the ground to establish who is in charge. I dont buy into all the fancy sticks, but a good rope halter and heavy long lead are a must.

Yes! Yes! 1000x YES!
  • cownancy
    Options
    Parelli simply has commercialized many of the older natural horsemanship methods and turned it into a highly lucrative business. It gets to me because he's taking credit for what so many older trainers pioneered, but many people are very successful with his program, but its success does depend on your "feel" with horses. I hate the tools because I've seen so many people do the same or better with nothing but a round pen and regular tack, but if you need the guidance of a pre-set program, then it's probably good in that it provides you with a complete guide.

Personally, I would prefer to start by working with a local trainer who is respected and get help training under that other person's guidance. Good luck! If you really need problem solving with a potentially dangerous horse, I would let someone with experience evaluate the horse, if you don't have that type of experience.
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I was a trainer for 15 yrs,used a few of his methods but steer more towards Clinton Anderson methods......TBs can be difficult....owned a few that were terrible and a few that were amazing like one of the mares I own now......It sounds as if your mare is obviously lacking forward motiion because she is rearing.....when they dont or cant go in any other direction they choose up.....its important to first find out WHY she is rearing and then fix it from there....the best place to start is on a lunge line or better yet a round pen so you can let her go or get out of her way.... scare factor can be one reason....shes got you dooped in thinking she is a fire breathing dragon and she sees that fear when she rears....pay attention to your reaction....do you reprimand her when she rears?How do you reprimand? Some rear because they have no forward motion....GET HER *kitten* MOVIN!!!! Round pens are great for this type of rearer because you can teach them cues to move that butt and engage their brain.... the "when I click you better move attitude" is best :) Some horses rear out of general fear or confusion.....all in all more ground work and rerouting of training is needed for this type......Only after you have exhausted efforts to find out WHY your horse is rearing then it can be fixed.....Finding a local professional trainer with a good history is a great idea because rearing can be extremely dangerous!! I have had more than my fair share of real bad ones and had some near misses :) Good luck !!!!

Totally agree with this post!