new tattoo & working out

Options
godroxmysox
godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
I have not been to the gym in weeks (as I was preparing for my sister's wedding). Once it was over, I was excited to get back into my routine. Well.....my husband and I decided to get tattoos for our 2 year anniversary (yesterday) and now I'm worried that I will have to wait even longer to get back to the gym. Does anyone know if sweat is bad for the tat?

Replies

• kaycee526
    kaycee526 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    No idea about the sweat but the tat is AWESOME!
  • sgrinavi
    Options
    Go for it, just keep it clean.
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    It's generally not good for it. Tattoos are essentially open wounds. You wouldn't want to sweat into a giant cut, would you?
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    If it's the tattoo in your pic, I'd be more worried about the rubbing of bra straps. Sweat isn't bad for it though.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Just as long as its not submerged in water you will be fine, the same concept you can get it wet in the shower, just dry it off afterwards.
    I got one on saturday and didnt have a problem yesterday working out.
  • godroxmysox
    Options
    If it's the tattoo in your pic, I'd be more worried about the rubbing of bra straps. Sweat isn't bad for it though.

Good point! I've been wearing my normal bra with only one strap, but I guess I cannot do that with my sports bra =(
  • Pidders89
    Pidders89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't worry about it just keep it clean and like some one else said watch your bra straps! lovely tat though!
    xxx
  • kalebsmama07
    Options
    bump
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    It can be but it won't if you make sure you clean it gently with fragrance free soap after your workout. Just to be sure I would leave it a day or two for it to heal over a little then you reduce the risk.
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I have not been to the gym in weeks (as I was preparing for my sister's wedding). Once it was over, I was excited to get back into my routine. Well.....my husband and I decided to get tattoos for our 2 year anniversary (yesterday) and now I'm worried that I will have to wait even longer to get back to the gym. Does anyone know if sweat is bad for the tat?

Construction people work outdoors in warmer climate, they sweat and have tattoos as well. It shouldn't be any different to working out. Just clean afterwards.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I recently got one on my foot.. I wore a gauze pad between my sock and it worked just fine
  • CrimsonHellkite
    Options
    biggest thing is keep it clean and make sure you put your ointment on so it doesnt scab...
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I would wait 10 days. Why take the chance in damaginig something that will be with you for life.
  • mkgabbard
    Options
    I understand the want to get back into the gym, but your tattoo should be properly cared for as well. I would wait to go until the time period has pasted allowing you to submerge it in water. After all you did spend a pretty penny on it and don't want to ruin it....
  • KudzuSouth
    KudzuSouth Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just keep it lubed with Vitamin A & D ointment; keep it clean; and yes, mind those bra straps until it's healed up!
  • StarGeezer
    Options
    All I have is anecdotal evidence, but for what it's worth:

- My fiance' just got one last week and was still able to go for her run with no problem.
    - My best friend just had the first part of an awesome half-sleeve started this past weekend, and he's still going to the gym. He says he's keeping it moist (Aquaform, antibiotic and moisturizer) and it's doing just fine.

So based on that, I'd say so long as you keep it treated, you'll have no problem with your work-outs.

BTW, if the new tat is the one in your profile, very cool! Like/+1
  • ivansmomma
    Options
    If you think you really need to work out right now, I agree with putting some A&D ointment and gauze over it if you want to work out. Pad it really well so the bra strap won't rub on it. Personally, I would wait at least 3 days or so.
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    This is a great topic - I'm getting my 3rd tattoo in about a week and was thinking the same thing.

Silly question - Did you ask the artist who did the tattoo - What was his/her comment, thoughts, etc. ?

*BTW - If that is the tattoo in your picture - It's absolutely amazing !!!
  • godroxmysox
    Options
    This is a great topic - I'm getting my 3rd tattoo in about a week and was thinking the same thing.

Silly question - Did you ask the artist who did the tattoo - What was his/her comment, thoughts, etc. ?

*BTW - If that is the tattoo in your picture - It's absolutely amazing !!!

I did not ask the artist - I figured I'd see what people on here thought and then check with him if I decided I was going to go to the gym. I think I'm leaning more toward no at this point - of course, you don't have to worry about a bra strap, lol.

And yes, it is the one in the photo, thank you =)