Trying on wedding dresses!!

Options
This Saturday I am trying on wedding dresses for the first time! I'm excited but nervous! I've lost a little over 40 pounds. My goal was to be 165 or lower by this week's weigh in (this Friday). I THINK I'll reach my goal but you never know! My appointment on Saturday is not until 1PM so I need to make sure I have breakfast/lunch beforehand so I am not cranky or miserable or hungry.

I decided for the remainder of this week I am going to attempt to keep my sodium under 2000mg to avoid any extra bloating/water weight but what are some foods/meals any brides to be or anyone who has tried on wedding gowns can suggest? I read that bananas and broccoli cause bloating so I'm staying away from that for the most part (usually I eat a banana and some broccoli everyday).

I like eggs, english muffins, and protein shakes for breakfast.. I was thinking this for breakfast and then for lunch a light sandwich or salad and I'll bring nuts to snack on.

Any suggestions? Again, looking for foods that won't cause bloating so I can try on dresses without being self-conscious!! I know the sizes for dresses are crazy and a lot of the time you have to try on a larger size than you normally would need so I am already mentally prepared for that. I just am looking for some food suggestions that will prevent bloating and let me feel light as a feather Saturday :):):)

Replies

• DancingVe
    DancingVe Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I just went wedding dress shopping, and it was fun! And yes, the sizes are crazy. I had to try on one or two sizes above my normal size, so don't freak out :). Suggestions? Drink about 2 L of water daily. I promise it will keep the bloat down :).
  • dvarrassi12
    Options
    Yes, definitely prepare yourself for the size difference. Generally bridal is 2 sizes bigger than your actual size, so since I was a 12 I had to buy a 14 dress. But with that being said all dresses are cut differently so it might not be that way. It's just tough mentally for someone who's been dieting to have to buy a bigger size!

Other than that, I wouldn't really worry about what you eat. Honestly you just want to feel good when you're trying them on so eat something you enjoy and that's healthy. Most places will give you a corset or you could wear one of your own, that way bloat is minimized anyway. If you're still losing weight you'll have to have the dress taken in, so the amount of bloat you have on one day will be negligible.

just enjoy your day and revel in how beautiful on dress can make you feel!
  • skinnyack
    Options
    I would say hydrate, and maybe 3 small meals of 200-250 cals instead of 2 larger ones, and maybe if you can squeeze in some push ups and a work before you go (your skin will glow, and maybe the muscles will look just that much more apparent). Congrats on your 40 lb loss! Incredible! I am sure you are a beautiful bride to be!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Wedding dress sizes ARE indeed 1-2 sizes larger than clothing sizes so don't freak out. I was/am a size 5/7 and fit into size 8 dresses. I was told to order a 10 in the dress I chose b/c it was lace so it had even less give but on the day off the corset was tied all the way at it’s tightest on the day of (at 132 lbs after rehearsal dinner 2lb gain, LOL!) that it was touching. The plan was to show bare skin underneath (since braless is best in most dresses to avoid weird lines, yes I am a 34D so there is lots of support I highly, highly recommend you buy a dress that fits you well rather than a $60+ corset that will give you weird lines and provide less support than the wedding dress itself) after we removed the panel so I guess she was wrong there on sizing. She also told me I gained weight after my second fitting when I was the lowest I'd ever been in my life, 129 5'8 at second fitting so take the nice seamstresses for what they are, nice but slightly crazy ;)

Don't worry about bloating on trying-on day too much b/c all wedding dresses are incredibly flattering b/c of all the corseting. It will just give you an idea what your arms and back will look like and you can customize your workout plan to target the most exposed areas. I had an absolute ball going by myself to the first store and trying on a million dresses and taking a photo of me in all of them. I highly recommend you do that first if you have no clue on style. No need to put your family/friends through 1 million dresses, take them through 5-10 max on trip #2.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    first of all, congrats! i go for my first fitting next weekend, which will be funny-ive never seen my dress in person! Right on with low sodium and sadly, no broccoli. In the event you arent quite where you want with sodium, mix lemon juice in water or unsweetened tea, it will flush excess water. Do this a day or two before. Besides that, dont do high intensity cardio the day before, as that causes water retention too. Mentally, be prepared for unflatttering dresses-it isnt you. I loved mermaid style...but they didnt love me! And yes, the sizing is wild-i wear a 2 and some 6 were tight on me. Watch shapewear with boning, it gave me inches where i didnt need them. But most of all have fun and remember, you snagged a partner who loves you like you are today; that means the hard part is already over!
  • millylucille
    Options
    Great tips above but on a side note, when you find a wedding dress take a picture of yourself in it! I purchased a dress and then had that bridal moment where I put on the dress again for my first fitting and it was the same dress but they had switched out the brooch for a different one. They said I was just "confused" and it was the same one. Long story short...I didn't take a picture of me in my dress the first time in fear that people would see it. However, it would have saved me a ton of money and tears if I did. So take a picture of your beautiful self in the dress and hide it somewhere where no one else will see it! HAVE FUN!!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Great tips above but on a side note, when you find a wedding dress take a picture of yourself in it! I purchased a dress and then had that bridal moment where I put on the dress again for my first fitting and it was the same dress but they had switched out the brooch for a different one. They said I was just "confused" and it was the same one.

Oh for sure, great reminder! You see that disaster on ‘Say Yes to the dress’ constantly!

I was fortunate on my first shopping day as described above they didn't restrict photos, I went nuts and put more than a dozen on the Facebook group page I had created for my bridesmaids since they were all long-distance. Other stores often do restrict photos (out of 5 I checked out, 2 wouldn’t let you until you bought) and out of my final 3 choices, I picked the one I didn’t have a photo in, I went back a second time and knew it was the one (they had sold the sample but it wasn’t picked up yet thank goodness!).

Photos are priceless b/c professional photos of a 110lb 5’11 model in them are not the same, even if you are super skinny the touching up is crazy. DEFINATELY take a photo right before/after you fill out your purchase order. If they refuse, they are complete idiots and will lose your business! You signed a contract and paid a deposit, the store has absolutely nothing to lose at that point.

** If they restrict photos but are not in the changeroom with you helping you in/out of the dress, do it anyway! Be sure to turn off the flash in the mirror.
  • brimir
    Options
    wedding dresses are usually a few sizes larger then your normal pants and such. I would stay away from things like broccoli and veggies like that, a sandwhich would be good if it has some lean mean and veggies, anything low in sodium is great! Also, no pop!!!

Good luck finding your perfect dress! I'm so excited for you! it's an amazing feeling when you find THE one!
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    i have quite high self esteem and generally LOVE to shop but i found wedding dress shopping to be the absolute most depressing thing i have ever had to do for myself. my self esteem felt like it was punched in the face repeatedly by a brick. i literally had to go have a very stiff cocktail after.

wedding dress samples are a dress makers 10 which is roughly a street size 8 if you are lucky usually closer to a 6. they look at a woman who is a size 20 and tell her she can't try anything on and basically just has to imagine what it will look like and fork over a thousand bucks while crossing her fingers. it is total crap!

a large part of the reason i ended up having a dress custom made for my wedding.
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Angela on your wedding and weight loss so far and good luck with your shopping. Just have fun. I have no additional suggestions as the ones provided already were perfect.

This thread was really helpful. I have my first fitting this Friday. I do high intensity cardio and didn't realize that causes water retention so that was good to know. I also didn't know broccoli causes bloating. It's probably the vegetable I eat the most.