Question about weighing bone-in meat

Options
2»

Replies

• alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    The difference is very small, keep things simple or this will get old very soon.
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Here's the question.

I have chicken drumsticks w/skin and the package has nutritional information per 100g.

Do I weigh the raw chicken with bones to figure out the 100g serving or does the meat/skin need to come off the bones to be weighed? I know I need to weigh raw but the meat comes off better once it's cooked.

Help?

The USDA database says that chicken drumsticks are 68% refuse* So 168g of raw bone-in drumstick should yield 100g of raw meat+skin weight.

*that's 34% bone/cartilage and 34% bone/connective tissue in the entry for meat and skin from chicken drumsticks. The entry for meat only has 43% refuse - 34% bone/cartilage and 9% separable fat and skin. Which is more accurate for you depends on how much you consider inedible in a chicken drumstick.
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    cook the chicken. Before you put it on your plate, weigh it, write down the weight. When you're done eating, weigh the bone, subtract it from the total weight, and you got the meat only weight. :)
  • Electra_H
    Electra_H Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Weigh the meat w/bone before eating it, then weigh the bone after eating and there you have it... how much you ate. :bigsmile:

Okay so here's the chicken math going on now!

Raw Weight / Cooked Weight = Reduction Factor

Cooked Bone Weight x Reduction Factor = Raw Bone Weight

Cooked Weight / Reduction Factor - Raw Bone Weight = SOLUTION

man, BIG BIG thanks for this! logged in on my laptop just to thank you. helping a newbie out :smiley:
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I’m such a lazy butt. Bones, peels and cores are just 25% of the food and I’m done with it.