sugar

Options
Hi my name is Sandy, I had bariatric surgery about 2 years ago and have gained 10 # back, I have a horrible time staying away from sugar, I had hoped it would make me too sick to eat it after surgery but that didn't happen. I feel like no meal is complete until I have something sweet. I welcome any ideas how to get off the sugar, its like a drug! thanks for your help

Replies

• Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Carrots. They have a natural sugar taste. Baby carrots especially. My trainer told me that and when i start craving the sugar i go pick up my bag of baby carrots. Try to see if that helps at all. =)
  • emgs52
    emgs52 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I agree carrots and grape too
  • kaede02
    Options
    blueberries :) delicious and good for you. otherwise replace an after dinner treat with an apple or something!
  • igora_soma
    Options
    plums! they are in season right now. i've been eating one every day after i finish lunch. totally does the trick! i usually have apples at night :)
  • zissou
    Options
    I also have a sweet tooth. I whip coconut milk and eat it with berries, or have a piece of dark chocolate. If that still doesn't satisfy me I brush my teeth so I just stop eating.

Hang in there!
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    can't see your food diary, so only you can answer this question-

I found that soda pop TRIGGERS an insatiable appetite for sugar-
    so that HAD to go.

The more water I drink, the more it waters down the urge.

It's been a slow process, but I'm learning to master it- except for when STRESS and HORMONES come into play.....

you're not alone in the battle.

Few of us get up craving broccoli in the middle of the night.
  • erszike48
    Options
    I take a supplement that quiets the sugar cravings, have no desire to eat them at all!!! I can get you info on it, just let me know if you are interested! Liz
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Sugar is like a drug. It does bad bad things to your body (I have an obsession with learning about sugar). I know it's hard but the best thing to do is cut it out completely. The cravings will only last a short time and once you get through that the cravings disappear. You can finish your meals off with some fruit like someone else suggested. I like to take a peach, cut it i n1/2 sprinkle a little cinnamon on the top and microwave it for about a min. (Until soft). You can sprinkle some almonds on top and it's like a peach cobbler. YUM!
  • Effervescent17
    Effervescent17 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I just eat more fruit to help with the sugar cravings. Also if you drink diet soda or use diet sweetners you should stop, those actually increase your cravings for sugar. I used to use splenda and now since I stopped using it I noticed my my sweet cravings went down alot.

Try making like a strawberry, raspberry, banana smoothie really good. Also treat yourself to 1/2 a cup of whole vanilla ice cream after dinner. I never buy a gallon size though, only the tiny ones. :)
  • ChristopherCrane
    ChristopherCrane Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am a RECOVERING sweets addict. I had to quit Diet Coke, as this amplified the cravings. Once I did that, I had much fewer problems. Fruit is a nice alternative. But I'd advise against trying to cut the sweets COMPLETELY out of your life. It leads to binges which are much more damaging in the long run. Get the mini candy bars, and limit yourself to one to three a week... when you have that craving. Eat them slowly, to savor, and stop with one. OTHERWISE... don't even buy sweets at all. I find that if I can't control myself on a limited portion of something, I shouldn't have that thing in my house. One thing I really like is the WalMart Great Value Trail Mix. It's dried fruits and nuts, but there are pieces which are very candy-like when dried... like pineapple. Dried fruits (if all natural) are a good substitute for candy - raisins, dates, pineapple.

I also do sweet potato, and sweet potato chips.
  • Deeosmun
    Deeosmun Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Cherries and blueberried help me get a kick of sweetness. I completely understand, you cravings.

My nutritionist told me that we crave Fatty, Salty, Sweet when we are deficient. When you crave certain things find a healthier alternative that offers the same base feature.

For example,
    Fatty; instead of chips or greasy food, grab a hand full of nuts = good for you fats
    Sweets; instead of chocolate, candy or ice cream go for the fruit.
    As far as Salty; you could be low in your sodium intake. It sounds weird, but I was so low I would get dizzy and light headed. They told me to add salt to my food. I'm no longer deficient and I don't add salt anymore.

I hope this can help anyon :) have a great Day!
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I usually end my meals with either a piece of fruit or half a scoop of chocolate protein powder with skim milk. I also love sweet potatoes and make them my complex carb of choice for lunch or dinner sometime; I sprinkle cinnamon on pumpkin pie spice on a medium-sized sweet potato, eat my lean protein and veggies first, then end with it :)