Brand suggestions for food in Eastern Europe

alexmose2
alexmose2 Posts: 208 Member
So, I figured my international friends may be able to help on here. I am moving to Europe and am not sure what type of brands to search for for healthy choices! I am coming from the US and love my Chobani, Orgain, Quaker, Smuckers, Laughing Cow, etc., but what brands do my Eastern European friends use for healthy eats??

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,419 Member
    @fitom80 are you Eastern European? Any suggestions?
  • fitom80
    fitom80 Posts: 154 Member
    @fitom80 are you Eastern European? Any suggestions?

Actually I'm in central Europe ;-) but I know only german https://www.allnatura.de/ that is comparable.
    To be honest I don't believe in "healthy" brands.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Wait, la vache qui rit, quakers and all those things are considered healthy? I would consider them to be overly processed food. But each their own, and there's certainly space in any diet for this. I don't know where you move to, but I'm sure there are fabulous open space markets around for fruits and veggies, probably at fab prices. Butchers and bakeries. And don't forget to try all the lovely cakes and pastry!
  • alexmose2
    yirara wrote: »
    Wait, la vache qui rit, quakers and all those things are considered healthy? I would consider them to be overly processed food. But each their own, and there's certainly space in any diet for this. I don't know where you move to, but I'm sure there are fabulous open space markets around for fruits and veggies, probably at fab prices. Butchers and bakeries. And don't forget to try all the lovely cakes and pastry!

more like they have lower calorie options within the brands, i think. but i guess i only use quaker for oats.
  • springlering62
    Some of the open air markets have vendors who specialize in “bio” (organic type) products. Same as here. You have to be careful. I got some wonderful bio chicken soup base mix, but it’s just as salty as boullion cubes here, although it tastes way better.

They don’t really promote “gluten free” products as such, but you may find some available just as “normal” foods, because some other grain is the preference any way. My son-in-law’s Russian grandmother made some killer spelt cookies and was very surprised that we flipped out over them. (Unfortunately, she wouldn’t give up the recipe. )

Aldi, Lidl, Penny and similar chains have their own bio products, and packages are well marked.

My town has probably one of the nicest markets in the southeast, but I would give my eye teeth for the Saturday market where my daughter lives in Europe. It’s jaw dropping. Meats, vegetables, flowers, bouquets, more flowers, baked goods, sweets, coffees,teas, fried fish, roast chickens, OMG. It’s glorious. I hope your town has a great market!

How exciting for you!
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Well... where? It depends a lot on the country.

+1 on farmer's markets, though, I miss those a lot...
  • alexmose2
    All, Lithuania!
  • fitom80
    fitom80 Posts: 154 Member
    alexmose2 wrote: »
    All, Lithuania!

Beautiful country and nice people. But cannot help you, here in Europe esp. in small countries we have less of such sophisticated services.
  • springlering62
    fitom80 wrote: »
    alexmose2 wrote: »
    All, Lithuania!

Beautiful country and nice people. But cannot help you, here in Europe esp. in small countries we have less of such sophisticated services.

Liechtenstein, Monaco or Luxembourg?