I have no idea what I look like!

Options
I have body dysmorphia and actually have no idea what I look like! So finding it difficult to track my progress because I can’t see anything🤣 Has anyone else dealt with this? What tips would you give for ensuring you’re making progress with weight loss / gains!? x

Replies

• littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Measurements help me, there is much less variation than there is with weight.
    I just do the basics - chest, waist, hips.

The fit of clothes helps as well, if my trousers are hanging of me than something must have changed!
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I use measurements, weight, pictures of myself side by side and the opinion of someone trusted as well as feel and new clothing size as I get smaller. It's a little harder but doable.
  • Kinalau
    Kinalau Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use the fit of my clothes and measurements. I also have a belt for my pants. I actually have two. The one I was wearing when I first started my weight loss journey and the one I wear now. It's the best visual for me as I can compare their length and the holes and see which ones are worn out as I keep having to use the smaller and smaller settings. I absolutely cannot use the mirror or pictures because what I see is not what I look like, at least according to people I trust.
  • lmf1012
    lmf1012 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Not for the faint of heart, but I weigh every morning and track using a trending app so I can keep on top of any negative trends. I basically watch my graph to make sure the trend line is moving downward.

As you can see from the picture my weight has not gone down every day, it often goes up and then back down but overall I am heading in the right direction so I know I am making progress.

ctqhua4i0k5a.png

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Everything said above can help, and combining the thoughts helps even more.

I don't think it's uncommon for some people to struggle with their self perception of how they look in a physical sense. Quite a few people at least "lag" in seeing what happens. To some extent this makes sense, as we look in the mirror every day and won't notice day to day changes.

Photos with something of a fixed size to compare often help some people.
  • fitstrongfitlove
    fitstrongfitlove Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    How about focusing on how you feel instead of how you look?

For example, are you getting lighter on your feet? Are you enjoying new foods? Are your clothes looser or more comfortable? Are you enjoying your workouts more? Are you developing any muscle?

These are all nsv: nonscale victories. They count for everything.

I think there is also a thread where people list their current nsv.