Is it CICO or not?

Options
I tend to lurk more than post but I have a serious question. I have gotten a lot of help and info from the forum over the years. However, I continue to be confused when I read responses to individuals that “you need to be eating more” or “the last 10 pounds are the hardest” or general comments that would indicate the CICO formula doesn’t work. If one is in a deficit then they should be losing according to (Total deficit calories for the week/3500 for lbs lost in a week). It shouldn’t matter the deficit or if it is the very first lb (excluding water weight) or the very last. I get it might be tougher to be in a deficit when one approaches their maintenance goal due to less calories to eat but if you stay in the deficit - mathematically you should still lose by that formula. Am I missing something?

Replies

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Oh and also I wanted to add:

Losing very fast and CAUSE health problems of various sorts. Notably gallbladder issues, in particular, but also some other stuff. There si a point when your weight is more of a risk to your health than the fast loss, but that's something a doctor needs to determine and does not apply to most.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    It IS CICO.

CICO, and in particular the CO portion, is (somewhat) DYNAMIC, not static.

Even if you assume zero estimation errors.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    CICO is just the math for weight loss. There's a bigger picture that also needs to be considered -- overall health, nutrition, adherence, satiety, personal preferences, etc.

So it's not that CICO doesn't work or isn't the answer, it's that that sometimes CICO is too narrow a focus or oversimplified for what might be a larger conversation.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    That "last n pounds/kilos are the hardest" trope always grates me because it's nonsensical. My initial goal is at the upper end of a healthy BMI as I picked an arbitrary round number when I was 50 kg heavier. However now I am close to my goal I am considering losing another 10 kg. So technically I'm currently on the supposedly morr difficult "last n pounds/kg" whilst also possibly not being. It hasn't been any harder losing the weight I've lost this year vs the weight I lost last year. If anything it's been easier because I have learned so much in the four years I've been doing this that I feel like this year I am finally doing it exactly right, have listened to my body and upped my calories when appropriate (I've been intermittently much more active as I've been doing a lot of manual labour).
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I am legitimately stopping and assessing often right now, having very small goals. I am very half-hearted in things right now to make it as easy as I can, though come fall I may swap over to a real 2 week in deficit 2 weeks maintenance thing. I just don't know. There IS going to be a point for me where the effort is no longer worth it, and I kinda suspect that is going to be at a point before I weigh what is probably my ideal weight (which 10-15lbs away).

I'm actually okay with that, but acknowleding that I'm okay with that because HOLY CRAP HARDER is kind of important for other people who *aren't* okay with stopping earlier. Undermining them and the difficulty just isn't fair.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    The flippety flip side of it is that once I got to 20-21 BMI it hasn't really been too hard to stay here. I'm really happy with how I look and I get to eat all my favorite foods (not every day, but ya know...) as long as I stay active.

That seems like the golden ticket right there!!!