If you know you’re going to have a high calorie meal at night...

How can I curb the hunger during the day so I can save my calories for then? Every Wednesday, my best friend and I get a big grilled chicken salad and French fries with pita bread and it’s ~1000 cal or so. How do I stay full all day until 8 pm when we eat it? Thanks!

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,582 Member
    Well, don't starve yourself during the day because that will most likely backfire. :)

Can you shave off some calories during the rest of the week to help save up for the dinner?

And some people say drinking warm drinks is satiating.

And there are always vegetables.
  • karatekitty830
    karatekitty830 Posts: 24 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    Well, don't starve yourself during the day because that will most likely backfire. :)

Can you shave off some calories during the rest of the week to help save up for the dinner?

Thank you so much for answering!! I think I can trim maybe 100 more a day to help save up! I’m going to try the warm drinks and see if that helps, thanks!
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,214 Member
    What dictates that's what you have for dinner on Wednesdays? Figure something else out to do/eat with your friend.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,582 Member
    glassyo wrote: »

Thank you so much for answering!! I think I can trim maybe 100 more a day to help save up! I’m going to try the warm drinks and see if that helps, thanks!

You're welcome! :) I'm just trying to figure out the whole salad, french fries, and pita combo thing. :)

(Also, I don't know about drinks but I do know that oatmeal makes me feel fuller than frosted flakes. Minus the more dense part!)
  • karatekitty830
    steveko89 wrote: »
    What dictates that's what you have for dinner on Wednesdays? Figure something else out to do/eat with your friend.

It’s just a tradition we’ve had for a long time after karate class. I guess I could eat without the fries, but it’s been kind of a fun tradition I wanted to try to keep.
  • jtechmart
    jtechmart Posts: 67 Member
    You can try eating less the next day. I find when I eat a large meal at night, those calories often carry over to the next day. In those cases I'll eat my first meal closer to noon and I'm not that hungry. It may depend on your metabolism though.
  • karatekitty830
    jtechmart wrote: »
    You can try eating less the next day. I find when I eat a large meal at night, those calories often carry over to the next day. In those cases I'll eat my first meal closer to noon and I'm not that hungry. It may depend on your metabolism though.

I think that would work well for me, because I’m often not too hungry in the morning!!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,388 Member

It’s just a tradition we’ve had for a long time after karate class. I guess I could eat without the fries, but it’s been kind of a fun tradition I wanted to try to keep.

Some of my “fun traditions” contributed to my weight problem, notably Thursday night trivia at a Mexican restaurant. Two hours of mindlessly picking at the chips bowl.

Sometimes, traditions need a re-think. Is there something lighter on the menu you can sub? You’re there for the company, not the fries. 😘
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    A two egg omelet or frittata with LOTS of veggies is pretty filling. I often par-cook a giant bowl of finely sliced veggies: onions, peppers, daikon radish, carrots, cabbage, mushrooms, celery. I'll bag them for use over several days or freeze for later in stir-fry, frittatas, pizza topping, or curry.

Were it me, in a non-stick pan, one or two eggs, chili paste and big handful of veg, plus several cups of coffee would fill me for hours for fewer than 200 calories. Then I might have a huge green salad with a light vinaigrette for my late afternoon meal. Lots and lots of water too!

Enjoy your dinner out!
  • karatekitty830

Some of my “fun traditions” contributed to my weight problem, notably Thursday night trivia at a Mexican restaurant. Two hours of mindlessly picking at the chips bowl.

Sometimes, traditions need a re-think. Is there something lighter on the menu you can sub? You’re there for the company, not the fries. 😘

That’s very true, I am there for the company and not the fries! Just thinking for the long term, I think having fries once a week though helps me not want to have fries everyday, but I will definitely keep that in mind!!
  • karatekitty830
    MsCzar wrote: »
    A two egg omelet or frittata with LOTS of veggies is pretty filling. I often par-cook a giant bowl of finely sliced veggies: onions, peppers, daikon radish, carrots, cabbage, mushrooms, celery. I'll bag them for use over several days or freeze for later in stir-fry, frittatas, pizza topping, or curry.

Were it me, in a non-stick pan, one or two eggs, chili paste and big handful of veg, plus several cups of coffee would fill me for hours for fewer than 200 calories. Then I might have a huge green salad with a light vinaigrette for my late afternoon meal. Lots and lots of water too!

Enjoy your dinner out!

Thank you so so much for the inspiration! I’ll have to try this!!
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member

That’s very true, I am there for the company and not the fries! Just thinking for the long term, I think having fries once a week though helps me not want to have fries everyday, but I will definitely keep that in mind!!

Maybe you could have the fries once a fortnight or once a month instead? Or perhaps you could have half a portion if you want them every week.
  • naomi9271
    naomi9271 Posts: 127 Member
    If you have some egg whites, you can also add some of them to your frittata for some additional volume at low calories. A frittata is my go to “hold me over” meal too :smiley:
  • wi1234567890
    wi1234567890 Posts: 57 Member
    edited June 2021
    On days when I know I’ll be having a higher calorie dinner I like to have 3oz of deli sliced turkey wrapped around thin pickle spears or celery or bell peppers for lunch. I like the taste and different textures and it’s filling for me without a lot of calories. A hot cup of coffee is also very helpful. If I’m craving something sweet I’ll have a couple of rice cakes with strawberry jam and that satisfies me until dinner. On a day like that I aim to stay within the maintenance calories and not necessarily in a deficit.
  • karatekitty830
    Thank you so much for the advice, everyone! I’m going to try the eggs and cut back on how many times I have fries or the portion sizes.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,378 Member
    What's the calories of your usual dinner? Lets say it's 600. Then you're overeating by 400 for one day of the week.

What's your calorie deficit? Lets say 500 calories per day for the sake of it. So you eat 3500 calories less per week and would lose a theoretical 1lbs per week.
    With 400 calories eaten more your deficit for a week is not 3500 but 3100. Is it really such big difference?
    Of course you have to use your own numbers. But sometimes having a smaller deficit is not bad. Especially if fun and friendship is involved.
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 351 Member
    I know you said you do this after karate class, but maybe you could see if your friend would want to join you on a short walk after the meal (bonus extra friend time?!). Or try to get a walk in earlier in the day?

I'm having the same issue now that Papa Murphy's has their taco grande pizza back on the menu for a few weeks. On Tuesdays it is $10, so I like to enjoy it while they have it; however, it means cutting calories the rest of the day. Normally I would just squeeze some extra exercise in, but it is so HOT here right now that I am having a hard time with that idea.

Either way, I would keep the tradition. You will find ways to make it work for you. :)