Did anyone else gain weight with Nexplanon?

Options
Hi ladies! I was just wondering if anyone else had weight gain with Nexplanon, and if so, if they had any tips for losing the weight they gained on it?

I didn’t change really anything about my diet and exercise routine, but since having the Nexplanon implant for one year, I gained about 30 pounds and I feel really unhappy and gross. Did anyone else experience this? How did you deal with it?

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Hi! I currently have Nexplanon - I'm about halfway through my second one, due for removal/replacement in December 2022. I've lost 30 lbs in the past 6 months by counting calories/logging my food and exercising daily.

I can't say for sure whether the implant made me gain because I've always been fat lmao, but if you got Nexplanon right before the pandemic, I'd say that probably had as much or more to do with your weight gain over the past year than the implant. It is physically impossible for your body to generate fat from the ether, though, so as long as you've got calories in < calories out, you will lose. We, as a species are like, really bad at estimating both calories in and calories out, so you probably were eating more and moving less than you thought you were.
  • karatekitty830
    karatekitty830 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi! I currently have Nexplanon - I'm about halfway through my second one, due for removal/replacement in December 2022. I've lost 30 lbs in the past 6 months by counting calories/logging my food and exercising daily.

I can't say for sure whether the implant made me gain because I've always been fat lmao, but if you got Nexplanon right before the pandemic, I'd say that probably had as much or more to do with your weight gain over the past year than the implant. It is physically impossible for your body to generate fat from the ether, though, so as long as you've got calories in < calories out, you will lose. We, as a species are like, really bad at estimating both calories in and calories out, so you probably were eating more and moving less than you thought you were.

Thank you so much for replying- I guess that may have been it, the Pandemic and not moving as much then rather than the implant itself! I still want to get the implant removed because I have been bleeding for three months. But thank you for the insight!
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Oof, I'm sorry you're having a bad experience with it. I wish it were easier to predict birth control side effects for individual people. I got lucky, my experience has been pretty excellent. I spotted for 6 months but since then it's been 0 periods and 0 babies for almost 4 years, 10/10 will replace in 2022 if I can't get my insurance to approve a bisalp.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options

Thank you so much for replying- I guess that may have been it, the Pandemic and not moving as much then rather than the implant itself! I still want to get the implant removed because I have been bleeding for three months. But thank you for the insight!

Yikes, sorry you're having such a bad time with it. I'm on my third one - it didn't do anything to trigger weight gain, and my periods went away. However, it was absolute havoc on my mental health at first. I'd been on an estrogen/progesterone daily pill prior to the implant, and going to progesterone only resulted in massive depression. Adding a low-dose estrogen pill fixed that right up. Has it affected your mood and led to emotional eating? Or in general, have you noticed being hungrier or more lethargic after getting it? Everyone responds so differently. It's definitely worrisome that you've been bleeding for 3 months. I hope you've already told your gyno and scheduled an appointment!
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I gained so much weight so fast I needed to have it removed in under 5 months. I'm talking at least 50lbs. I have never gained that much that fast in my life and in 3months of having it removed I lost a lot of the weight. It was horrific... I do NOT recommend it. I've been on Depo, many BC pills ect none caused weight gain but this.
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    BTW my doctor said about 1 in 5 women who tried it from her office gained 30lbs or so but different BC's effect different women in unique ways. It was a great BC for one of my close friends.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    My sister gained 30 lbs in 3 months on it and had it taken out. Years ago I gained 20 lbs in one month on one type of birth control pill. I was logging my food back then and wasn’t eating any more than normal. Hormonal weight gain is real.
  • karatekitty830
    Options

Yikes, sorry you're having such a bad time with it. I'm on my third one - it didn't do anything to trigger weight gain, and my periods went away. However, it was absolute havoc on my mental health at first. I'd been on an estrogen/progesterone daily pill prior to the implant, and going to progesterone only resulted in massive depression. Adding a low-dose estrogen pill fixed that right up. Has it affected your mood and led to emotional eating? Or in general, have you noticed being hungrier or more lethargic after getting it? Everyone responds so differently. It's definitely worrisome that you've been bleeding for 3 months. I hope you've already told your gyno and scheduled an appointment!

Thank you so much to everyone for your replies. I’ve noticed that I’ve had much more depressive symptoms (which I am being treated for) so I think that might also play a role. I let my Dr. know and I am getting it removed ASAP- I’m going to go back to the combo pills which didn’t work so bad for me. We’ll get through this! It’s just wreaked havoc on my self esteem.
  • karatekitty830
    Options
    I am so sorry that everyone has had to go through those things, too- I hope everyone is feeling better and healthier! 💜 Thanks so much for your support.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Everybody has to decide what's best for them, of course, but if you're interested, I like to recommend fertility awareness methods to women as an alternative to conventional contraception. It basically means learning and tracking your cycle, not unlike learning how nutrition works in order to lose or maintain a healthy weight. Most of us never learn this stuff about ourselves and I think it makes things a lot harder than it has to be. (Nota bene: FAMs are NOT the "rhythm method," which assumes standard cycle lengths and ovulation times.)

There's a lot of different methods, especially now with apps that will do some of the interpretive work for you, but a very good beginner resource is the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility, which is commonly available through public library systems. :)