Loosing weight, and diet

Options
Im looking for expierence and advice.
Im 41, male, 265lbs. I don't belive i am fat, but bmi will say im obese.
Im looking to loose weight to get healthy, but i dont want to be skinny again. I grew up into my mid 20s only being 170lbs.
I work as a pipefitter/welder 8-10 hours a day. My suggested Caloric intake is 2092 a day to loose 2lbs a week.
I eat 2 cubs of oatmeal and 2 eggs every morning at 9am, at 12 am i usually have some kind of meat about 8oz, chicken, steak or pork, and a vegetable and a cup of cooked jasmine rice or a tortilla. Dinner i usually have the same as lunch but have another vegetable, broccoli, Brussels, asparagus. I for the most part dont eat after 6pm.
I also only drink water or black coffee.
I been doing this for a month and i have lost 7lbs with no exercise other than my work load.
Im wondering if what im eating is fine, and adjust later once i stop losing weight?
Im having a hard time motivating myself for cardio workout like burpees..
Any suggestions with experience, and is 195 reasonable healthy?

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you're pretty active being a pipefitter/welder. I don't think cardio is necessarily something you need unless you're just looking for general health and fitness.

You sound like you're eating a good mix of food, and you're losing weight. Is there a question there?

195 pounds? You mean that's your goal weight? No idea if that's going to be a good healthy weight for you. How tall are you?

I agree with this.

I might end up changing it later, but I picked my goal weight right in the middle of the "normal" BMI range for my height. I may decide I'm happy 10 lbs heavier (esp since I've picked up strength training), or I might get there and decide I could do a little more. Right now I just want to head in that general direction! So I don't think you have to have it figured out perfectly right now.

I think it's totally fine to stick with what works, as long as it's working. You might find in a few months you want to change it up a little to fit how things are then. I'm not eating the exact same way I was 25 lbs ago. Similar, but a little different. I've gotten a little more finicky about amounts (I weigh everything now.) I eat a higher proportion of vegetables. I actually get to enjoy treat foods more often because I have room for them (this one surprised me.) But it's easier for me to moderate them now than it would have been then. My mindset has changed a lot.

As long as things are working for you, that's great! There's no one, perfect, absolutely correct way to do this. :)
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Goal weight is going to take assessing as you go. My original goal weight was the top of a normal BMI - and I have a fairly narrow, fine boned, frame. I didn't want to make it more daunting. I'm now several pounds within that normal range and I no longer have a goal weight. I have half-heartedly continuing to lose, and a lot of waffling around. Sometimes I want to maintain here, sometimes I don't. It is not something I'm focusing on. Kind of hoping I just slide into maintenance via my habits and my body catching up with each other at some point, rather than there being a hard cut off.

As for eating - This is going to change with time, I suspect. When I first started I did a lot of low calorie substitutions and ate frequently. Almost a year later and I eat basically one meal a day and the more calorie dense foods are back to keep me at a reasonable level of calories for my activity. Not sure what happened there, but we're going to go with it.
  • JRugg1946
    JRugg1946 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I apologize i didnt mention im 6'4"
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Well for what it's worth I think my 6'3" husband has decided that 195-205 as a range is where he would like to be. He initially thought that was going to be too low but quickly realized not so much, because it took a lot of loss for it to be VISIBLE. (The bigger the circumfence the more weight you need to lose to look smaller)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    Im looking for expierence and advice.
    Im 41, male, 265lbs. I don't belive i am fat, but bmi will say im obese.
    Im looking to loose weight to get healthy, but i dont want to be skinny again. I grew up into my mid 20s only being 170lbs.
    I work as a pipefitter/welder 8-10 hours a day. My suggested Caloric intake is 2092 a day to loose 2lbs a week.
    I eat 2 cubs of oatmeal and 2 eggs every morning at 9am, at 12 am i usually have some kind of meat about 8oz, chicken, steak or pork, and a vegetable and a cup of cooked jasmine rice or a tortilla. Dinner i usually have the same as lunch but have another vegetable, broccoli, Brussels, asparagus. I for the most part dont eat after 6pm.
    I also only drink water or black coffee.
    I been doing this for a month and i have lost 7lbs with no exercise other than my work load.
    Im wondering if what im eating is fine, and adjust later once i stop losing weight?
    Im having a hard time motivating myself for cardio workout like burpees..
    Any suggestions with experience, and is 195 reasonable healthy?

Like others have said, you're probably getting sufficient cardio at work. You could take up strength training, or a form of cardio you enjoy more.

I practice yoga and there is a flow comparable to burpees that I can do at my yoga teacher weight of 175 pounds but just can't with extra pounds plus not being in as good shape.

195 pounds for a 6'4" male is a reasonable goal. Reevaluate as you get closer.

Your meal plan also seems reasonable. It was nice to see all the veggies :)
  • JRugg1946
    Options
    My profile pic, shows my structure, i dont believe, i am "fat" but im overweight, according to BMI chart, and i also just would like to loose the overall fat thats unhealthy.
    I appreciate all the replies, as it helps to reassure that im atleast doing it right so far.
    Thank you .
  • JRugg1946
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Hopefully this all works out
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,721 Member
    Options
    You're pretty tall and strong and have an active job.

I would give consideration to the whole upper range of normal BMI so whether you want to go below 205 and by how much may be worth considering in full when you're closer. There's nothing wrong with aiming for 195 and making changes along the way

Very active may be more representative of a normal workday based on your job.

2lbs a week may be fairly aggressive for the amount of fat you have available to lose
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking your BMI contains a lot of muscle too. 195 might get you looking too thin, but you'll have to see as you go I suppose.

My husband is very similar to your build and weight. Works out a couple hours (weights, running) everyday. He's definitely got more muscle than fat. Your BMI is not the end all be all.

I think if you focus on what you're eating the way you are. Aim for foods that taste good and make you feel good. Veggies are a great addition. And you lose a pound or so a week, then you're on the right track. You might end up getting RIPPED. But you'll have to keep up the protein for that. ;)