Why do you tell me this?

Options
So, lately I have had about different people tell me that I don't need to lose anymore weight! I have a hard time accepting compliments to begin with, so I really don't have a clue what to tell these people!! It's always a weird, awkward conversation!

I think that I am in the average range for my weight/height. It's not like I'm bordering on being too thin, it's not that at all!! I'm 5'8" and my weight has been fluctuating between 135 and 138. My BMI is 21and is in the healthy range. I have read that a person of my height should weigh between 125 and 158 pounds to maintain a normal BMI.

I am not trying to lose a lot more weight, but I would love to get down to 130lbs and then maintain between 133 and 135.
What do you think? Is my goal weight unrealistic? Believe me, these last few pounds are getting very hard to lose! I think they may just be those "vanity" pounds!

Replies

• Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    If they are "true friends" then I would listen to their advice.
  • dlovesjimma
    dlovesjimma Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    in general women tend to make excuses when receiving a compliment instead of just saying 'thank you'. Work on just responding with a "Thank you, I feel great!" and move on. 130 at 5"8" isn't unrealistic, and if that is where you will feel most comfortable, then go for it.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I think your friends just mean well..since you already look great. Just do what works for you, and don't mention that you're trying lose that last 5 lbs still...keep it to yourself and if they comment on your diet, tell them you're still toning or something
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    in general women tend to make excuses when receiving a compliment instead of just saying 'thank you'. Work on just responding with a "Thank you, I feel great!" and move on. 130 at 5"8" isn't unrealistic, and if that is where you will feel most comfortable, then go for it.

SO true!
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    It's probably true, but you want what you want. If you still want to lose a bit more and tone up that's a personal choice, but they are just giving you the facts. I take those as a compliment.
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    My friends think my original goal is INSANELY low, but it's because they've been unfit all their lives. I've gotten nothing but support on here. Just keep doing what makes you happy. Keep it up!
  • DaniellePF
    DaniellePF Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Most people we come in contact with just don't have a filter. Your weight loss/goal weight is yours alone, and a personal decision. You should strive for whatever would make YOU feel happy, confident, and comfortable in your own skin. Other people's unsolicited opinions can blow away with the wind :-)
  • afv417
    afv417 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    My best friend is the same way. I think she looks fantastic but she still wants to lose a few more pounds and even though I tell her all the time that I don't think it's necessary, I still support her. You have to feel comfortable in your own skin.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I am your height and having the same issue. Funny thing is, I haven't actively been 'trying' to lose weight for months because I am at a healthy weight ... I've been working on body composition, so trading body fat for lean body mass, which just makes me look leaner, even though my weight "loss" over the past couple of months has been less than 5 lbs.

Most of the people telling me this were used to seeing me as 'heavy' ... I was that way for the better part of 20 years, so this 'new' look is something that they are not used to ... heck, I'm not either. I'm still learning how to feel comfortable in my 'new' body.

So long as you are seeing a doctor and he/she is not concerned, do what you feel is best for you giving a polite "Thank you ... and not to worry, according to my doctor, I'm a very healthy weight" :)

On another note, BMI is not a great way to judge where you are because it has so many variables it doesn't take into consideration. You are much better off having someone test your body fat % using a caliper and going by those results. :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Depends on your frame, build, and lean mass. I would go get your bf% checked if you can and then make some decisions from there. I'm 5'3" and while some people my height can be a healthy 115 pounds, I'm 112 pounds of lean mass so that's just a rediculous anorexic number for me. The scale lies, the mirror lies, bmi lies, some times those closest to us do know best and sometimes they don't, it may be time to find a more reliable source of information.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    they are just giving you the facts.

Actually, they would just be giving her their opinion ... without many of the actual "facts" that she and her doctor would have.
  • Kimberlycc
    Options
    Congratulations on a job well done! As mentioned above, I'm sure your friends are just saying how good you look and you should maintain. I had the same problem, except the comment came from someone who is obese. My problem areas are my hips and legs. I still have a long way to go for toning, but my upper body appears toned and a lot slimmer. The comment was, "you won't be able to do anything about your hips and legs, it just runs in the family". I fell off the wagon for a little bit because I was discouraged, but now I'm back on and realize that I have to do what makes me feel good. 5lbs. isn't going to make you anorexic. But, it may be that toning will keep you from seeing the pounds lost on the scale, but make a difference in your clothes. :smile: Keep up the good work!
  • jimmychoo2shoes
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and have pretty much the exact same weigh goal. I've actually been at between 130 and 135 and nobody said I was looking too thin. But now I'm a little heavier and trying to get back to that and I hear the same thing. I mostly just don't tell people I'm trying to lose. I just say I'm eating healthier. I look at who's making the comments too. It's not usually my friends, but maybe it is for you. For me, it's usually co-workers or whatever and most of the time they are either heavier or eat less healthy, so I think they are just at a different place and don't quite understand my goals.
  • kseltzer
    kseltzer Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I definitely want to get my BF% checked out. I had it checked out years ago when I was working out at Curves, but I don't currently belong to a Curves. It's been over 5 years since I have had checked out! Sounds like something I definitely need to look into! Thanks
  • zarozinia
    zarozinia Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I wonder if they're just trying to reassure you that you look great at the weight you are currently, out of fear that you're beating yourself up over not being at your goal weight.

I think a lot of people infer a sense of self-punishment in people who are trying to lose weight or maintain weight loss, when that may not actually be the case. Our society is so messed up in its thinking about health and weight that most people just assume that if you're trying to lose weight, you A) have a hidden eating disorder; B) hate yourself; C) are going to develop an eating disorder; D) All of the above. And, obviously, that's not necessarily the case nine times out of ten.

On a side note, I have a friend who lost 200lbs and has maintained this loss for 8 years using only diet and exercise. She admits that her relationship with eating is somewhat skewed, and has a hard time when she gains a bit of weight. *I* can't tell the difference between a 15lb gain/loss on her, but she sure as hell can! So, when she talks about needing to lose weight to get back to where she's psychologically comfortable, and she's not hurting herself to get to that goal, I just accept that that's what she needs to do to feel good about herself and let her do it. Even if *I* think she looks fantastic at her current weight.
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    I get told this a lot too. I'm 4'11'' and am right now 112-114. I want to get down to 110. I say thank you and move on.
  • supermom1114
    Options
    You hit the nail on the head, those last few pounds are just vanity pounds. Sounds like maybe you're focusing too much on BMI and the scale. Get your body fat percentage tested or try an online calculator http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/

It is doable to lower your body fat percentage and maybe lose those last few pounds, or maybe not if you tone up and build a little muscle in the process. But it takes a totally different approach to lose them because right now your body is healthy and happy as it is so why lose more weight? Especially as women our bodies want a little extra squishiness, in the right places, to promote fertility and support child-bearing. That being said it's not impossible to lose the last few pounds but it takes strict adherence to a healthy clean diet, no more than a 250-350 calorie deficit in a day, and strength work plus cardio to ensure you don't lose LBM. If I were you I would reset my MFP values to that of maintenance and then just make sure you have a calorie deficit inbetween 250-350 a day but NO MORE. and if you workout you need to eat back those calories as well until there is only a 250-350 deficit. Also, I'd manually change your protein needs to where you are getting somewhere in between 1.6-2g of protein for every kg of body weight. That way your body will have enough protein to recover and continue it's daily functions while allowing the shortage of calories to promote fat burn as energy. It will take longer than what you've probably experienced in the past maybe you'll lose less than a lb a week because you are already healthy! Check out Jillian Michael's "Making the Cut" its a whole book about losing the vanity pounds, but like I said I don't think you should focus on the scale, focus on how your body looks. If you feel its soft in some places then you're really looking to change your body fat composition not necessarily lose weight. Hope that helps, and stay healthy! The scale does not control our happiness!
  • zarozinia
    zarozinia Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I get told this a lot too. I'm 4'11'' and am right now 112-114. I want to get down to 110. I say thank you and move on.

Hey, that's my height and goal, too! I'm at 118 currently, and I want to maintain between 110-115. I get a lot of negative attention when I mention my numbers, so I tend to just simply say "I'm trying to get fit" without mentioning weight because that seems to open me up to a lot of squawking about how insane it is to want to weigh that little, etc. Of course, when you're not even five feet tall, that's kind of missing the point... :P

Mind if I friend you?
  • kseltzer
    kseltzer Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Thanks Supermom!! I'll adjust things!!
  • carey1932
    carey1932 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" and my ideal weight for my entire life was 133. Then menopause hit & wham, I was living in someone else's body.
    Go with what you feel comfortable with.