Barefoot elliptical?

Are there any health risks for working out barefoot on my elliptical at home? I'll put on a sports bra and basketball shorts, but must I really lace up the sneakers?

Replies

• is this a serious question
  • The only problem I can see is banging your toes on the front of the step (been there, done that) ;)
  • Me myself I would lace up! I think it would hurt my heels.The more I think about it the more it would make me not wanna exercise...sounds like it would hurt.lol
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    I would lace em up - what if the ties got tangled in the pedals? That's a disaster waiting to happen.

Then again, all of my friends walk around with their shoelaces undone and just trailing on the pavement. I don't get it.

EDIT: You meant "lace up" as in "put on at all". Sorry!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    is this a serious question

^What I was wondering.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Most ellipticals I've used have grips on the foot pedals I would imagine that would hurt bare feet. But then again maybe you're not a wimp like me lol

ETA: MFP doesn't like my language lol sorry , had to word sub
  • kmc979
    kmc979 Posts: 99 Member
    no idea. there is a guy at my gym who uses the bike and elliptical only in his socks which i think is really gross considering the germs (he also never wipes the machines down so if someone goes to get on before i'm finished and clean it myself i always tell people). but since this is your own equipment in your home i could think it would be a problem as long as it doesn't hurt.
  • I would like to hear from some people who have tried it. The elliptical user guide says you can hurt your spine and feet using it barefoot, but I would prefer not to wear shoes. I'm using my own machine so I don't have to worry about germs.
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    I never wear shoes when I do my elliptical at home. Seems like a waste of clean socks to me. I don't wear shoes inside the house for anything else, and I walk around barefoot in my yard all the time when the weather is warm, so I don't see why I need them on the elliptical. Nobody else uses the machine, so it's not like I have to worry about anybody else's germs. Since you don't pick your feet up and put them down (like a treadmill), I don't see how it could possibly change the impact of the exercise on your joints or why it would have any effect on your spine. Mine does have little ridges on the foot part, but if I put my feet in the right spot they don't bother me. I've been doing it that way for years without any negative effects that I can see. Obviously it would be different at the gym on shared equipment, but at home, who cares?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Dunno. On bad weather days I run on the treadmill with grippy socks.
    http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Scholls-Womens-Pair-Treads/dp/B00DD16AUM

(primarily so folks at the gym don't get all weird.... I had someone complain when I did it barefoot. Said I was
    "dirty" (to which I replied, those shoes you wore in from outside are...cleaner?).

Anyway, socks allow them to ignore me.

The grip does help, especially when you decide to step off the treadmill on to the sides. Might help you grip a bit.

Yoga socks with no toe but some grip are my next goal.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    I never wear shoes when I do my elliptical at home. Seems like a waste of clean socks to me. I don't wear shoes inside the house for anything else, and I walk around barefoot in my yard all the time when the weather is warm, so I don't see why I need them on the elliptical. Nobody else uses the machine, so it's not like I have to worry about anybody else's germs. Since you don't pick your feet up and put them down (like a treadmill), I don't see how it could possibly change the impact of the exercise on your joints or why it would have any effect on your spine. Mine does have little ridges on the foot part, but if I put my feet in the right spot they don't bother me. I've been doing it that way for years without any negative effects that I can see. Obviously it would be different at the gym on shared equipment, but at home, who cares?

Same for me. I wear shoes at the gym, but not to use my own elliptical at home. I have 2 herniated discs and the elliptical is my go to cardio because it doesn't aggravate my back
  • marilynkay123
    marilynkay123 Posts: 1 Member
    I have never worn shoes but recently my right foot has started to hurt opposite of my instep so I Googled this question and found an article that said, "When you stride along on an elliptical trainer, your feet don't leave the pedals, but your weight does shift as your legs take turns supporting your body on the down strokes. That makes it important to wear a shoe with satisfactory lateral support, to keep your foot stable throughout each stride." Here is the link: https://livehealthy.chron.com/matter-type-shoe-wear-work-out-elliptical-6310.html
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    Maybe and maybe not. It will depend if you put too much pressure on your arches without support, the slight side to side movement laterally and if you blister or not because your feet can still move around a little.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    I have never worn shoes but recently my right foot has started to hurt opposite of my instep so I Googled this question and found an article that said, "When you stride along on an elliptical trainer, your feet don't leave the pedals, but your weight does shift as your legs take turns supporting your body on the down strokes. That makes it important to wear a shoe with satisfactory lateral support, to keep your foot stable throughout each stride." Here is the link: https://livehealthy.chron.com/matter-type-shoe-wear-work-out-elliptical-6310.html
    This thread is from 2013, hopefully the poster has figured it out by now.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,960 Member
    Eight years before resurrection...I think that may be a record.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Too bad about the zombie thread, I wanted to ask the people who were skeeved out about bare feet on treadmills why they worried about it if they're wearing shoes?
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,281 Member
    Too bad about the zombie thread, I wanted to ask the people who were skeeved out about bare feet on treadmills why they worried about it if they're wearing shoes?

I was going to mention that the pedals of my NuStep have bumps on them which are meant to grip shoe soles. And they do not feel good if I don’t wear something on my feet. Thick socks, at least.