Integrated nutritionist

Options
Started a six month plan with an integrated nutritionist to fix my broken metabolism. Eating mostly vegetables, chicken and fish for the first 30 days. Lots of cabbage and cauliflower. Already lost three pounds in the first three days. Have forty more pounds to lose. Staying positive.

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, and Congratulations on your loss.

Just a heads up, weight does come off quickly for the first 2-4 weeks, generally a lot of water weight, resulting from cutting calories which in turn usually means fewer water-retaining carbs.

Don’t panic or get frustrated when it slows down. And do expect your weight to go up and down. A lot. As long as you are in an overall loss trajectory you’re fine.

^^^That’s the #1 thing I wish I’d known when I started and I think it’s why many get frustrated and quit.

I was a little uneasy about a nutritionist versus dietician, but it looks like the integrative nutritionists are educated and possibly certified. (In the USA, dieticians are college degreed and registered, but anyone can call themselves a nutritionist- from your neighbor selling pyramid scheme diet bars to some trainer at a gym pushing their branded protein shakes. )

I started out on the IFM.org “Elimination Diet” plan which sounds a very similar to yours, sans the “lotsa cabbage and cauliflower” part.

Use this month to read the boards a lot, and learn about diet myths, NEAT techniques, how to weigh food properly and how to log properly.

My dietician was fantastic and visits to her were worth every penny, but her suggesting I join MFP was pure gold. I’ve learned SO MUCH here, and reading and asking questions on these boards have been critical to my success.

May you have similar success!!!!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    And PS there’s no such thing as a “broken metabolism”. You may get some kickback here for that phrase, but it will be given lovingly and with wisdom.

Mine was certainly badly abused, but never broken. I just had to rediscover it’s rhythm, so to speak.
  • TX375
    TX375 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You DON'T have a "broken metabolism" unless you have actual health issues that cause it (like thyroid disease). That terminology is used by many diet and fitness people who are SELLING you an idea that what they are doing is going to fix it. Nutritionist's usually are just certified and many can get a cert online without any formal education previously. So somone studying a month and passing the test likely ISN'T someone who's really familiar with how human endocrinology and metabolism works. I'd rather consult Registered Dietcian who DOES have to have 4 years of education to obtain it.
    If you're losing weight, it's because of one main reason...............you're eating LESS than you burn. Want to boost your metabolic rate? Be more physically active and intense when you do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This is the best free advice you'll ever get... good luck!