How to get to 1200 Calories?

Options
I'm 5'0 on a small frame. I started out at 144.5 - lost 4 lbs the first week (water? probably) but that little rush is over and the weight loss has simmered down drastically. The only changes I've made in the last week is to limited my sugar to 25g and increase my fibre to 25 - 30g.

I am not hungry. I find I eat really well. But I have a really hard time getting to the 1200 calorie mark. I'm open to suggestions, if you want to have a look at my diary. Or maybe I should keep doing what I'm doing?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    if you have trouble getting cals, eat more calorie dense foods; pasta, nuts, oils etc
  • WhisperALullaby
    WhisperALullaby Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    A handful of almonds for a snack would help, or avocado, any sort of calorie dense food.
  • Syntria
    Syntria Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If you eat to few calories, you'll actually maintain or hold onto weight. You have to eat enough calories in order to burn calories. Limiting your sugar is good though, try to get your sugar from natural sources like fruits and honey. Fitness to! Exercise, do sit ups, squats, walk a few miles a week at least and be sure your eating at least 1200 calories. http://allwomenstalk.com/high-calorie-food-list-get-fat-fast/ This contains a list of 50 high calorie foods, many of which are health to (and some of which are not).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would suggest adding a handful of nuts and maybe a little olive oil to some of your dishes. You are not far under, but several days you were under on fat and protein. Nuts and olive oil will had 200-300 calories of fat and protein to your diet which should bring everything up where it should be.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    You could save the calories unused one day and eat them the next day -- zig-zag.

I wish MFP directly supported zig-zagging (aka calorie shifting, aka calorie cycling).

Some people here report that zig-zag breaks their plateaus. YMMV.

This calculator has a 7-day "Zig Zag" option: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I reviewed a few days of your diary, I am sure if you were hungry you would be eating, but personally i don't see how you could not be hungry with such small portions. Are you sure that your portion sizes are accurate? I agree witht he above posters to put in more calorie dense foods, i saw several salads on there, try adding beans to it, black beans or chickpeas, good for you and will boost your calorie count. Also whole grain pastas would help, cheeses, etc. It is important to fuel your body, especially if you previously ate significantly more than this.
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Add in some high calorie foods. Peanut butter, nuts, avocados.. things like that. You only need a small amount and they are high in calories. Cheese is too, but it's also high in fat so be careful with that.
  • kiesh82
    kiesh82 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I say start with a big breakfast. If you get that out of the way the rest of the day may go smoother.
  • cacraft
    Options
    Shouldn't I aim to be under in fat? isn't that a good thing to be under?
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Open peanut butter jar, grab spoon, scoop, eat.
  • gmrgirl
    gmrgirl Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    To answer your second question first: Fat is a macronutrient for a reason (Macro = large) your body needs Lipids (the biological term for Fats). It's how you get some of your vitamins (vitamins A, D, E and K). Lipids are also required for Cell membranes, energy storage, satiety, and message carrying (for certain messages)

The need to go "Low-Fat" could actually be a detriment to your overall weight loss goals. Look first at what types of fats you are eating. So long as they are healthy (omega 3's, unsaturated and the like) then using them to make up 15-20% of your TOTAL daily calorie intake is not horrible and is actually beneficial for your overall health.

From a fitness perspective, I would not recommend dropping your healthy fat intake below 10% of your daily calorie intake and I don't (personally) council clients to lower below 15% (each gram of fat = 9 calories if you were curious)

To answer your original question: others have the right of it. add calorie dense foods: nuts, avocados, and the like. When I'm SERIOUSLY counting calories and monitoring what I eat, I drop dangerously low on fats and calories. Add to that the classes and sessions I teach and I end up eating way too little. I've had to add unsalted butter, fresh made peanut butter, avocado and nuts to my meal plan just to hit calorie needs sometimes!
  • cacraft
    Options
    Great information! I have a better understanding now and know what I need to do. Thanks everyone for your comments, it was all very helpful!
  • dannylives
    Options
    I had a problem with that once and searched the kitchen until I found some raisins.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Give them to me I will help you with the left over. LOL

I wish I was not hungry.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    For me it's so easy...This morning we had free donuts and coffee. Now you guessed...:)