Ladies only please! The menstrual cycle =[

Options
So recently i havent been able to loose any weight...i get really bad pms so i eat crap before my period starts and during it! Gosh its like i cant pass anything sweet! Im going crazy! lol does anyone else get this? If so how do you deal with it? I feel so helpless. my pms has been 100x worse than it usually is because ive been having to deal with some pretty difficult issues, but those issues are gone now, and one day later i still want to eat mountains of sweets if happen to have some at home. Am i just addicted? My cravings get worse during the evening, never in the afternoon or morning.

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Women have been dealing with this since the beginning of time. I'm sure this didn't "just happen"...you've probably experienced it for years, just like every person on the planet who has ovaries. There's a great tool here in the forums called the "search" function. There are literally thousands of posts identical to yours with great advice on them. Good luck.
  • lauram_23
    lauram_23 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    My solution, get rid of the sweets so you are not tempted.
  • 1FitMomof4Girls
    1FitMomof4Girls Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Sounds more like an issue with sweets. Stay away from them during PMS, or get them from fruits. (only during this time)
    Up the protein in your diet, stay well hydrated and keep working out. :flowerforyou:
  • erszike48
    Options
    I used to have the same problem! First, I don't keep any sweets in the house. If it's not there, you can't eat it! :)
    Second, I take a supplement that quells my sugar cravings. It really works! I am in PMS week right now, and haven't had
    any sugar cravings and there's chocolate in the office!!!

If you are interested in learning about the supplement, just let me know!

Liz
  • ramblingirl
    Options
    My solution: have something sweet....but ONLY one something. Keep gum around in a few different flavors, and when you get that craving during the day, chew the gum. Then, at the end of the day have your real sweet. I like the skinny cow chocolate icecream sandwiches. Yum! They are only 140 cal, but don't taste like it.
  • wendorfa
    Options
    My cravings are far better now that I exercise more and drink a TON of water. I get the occasional craving during my cycle but it's much more easily controlled.
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I want junk when Im PMSing too! I just try to choose a lesser evil. For instance, peanut butter and honey on a half a carbcheck bagel is my favorite healthy treat!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    You gotta go cold turkey! Don't buy the sweets at the store. Hide them in a cabinet you don't typically use (the whole "out-of-sight-out-of-mind" works for me lol)

Another helpful tip. Make a budget. Switch to cash only for food stuffs. If you need to dig into your pocket for $3 for that pack of oreos, you'll be less likely to do it. :-)

Don't go to the store when hungry. Make a list and stick to it!!!

Oh, and there are a LOT of low calorie tasty sweets. The Fiber One brownies are 90 calories and DELICIOUS! Quaker Chewy Granola Bars are sweet and around 100 calories. Nature Valley has a granola thin that has either chocolate or peanut butter on it-only 90 calories!

I find it so much easier to just stay away from chocolate all together. A little bit makes me want to binge.

Good luck to you!
  • Giantess
    Giantess Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    This totally happens to me too. I go bonkers wanting sweet stuff. Normally I let myself have one small treat a day, since my calories support it, but during pms? Lordy. I could eat willie wonka's whole bloody factory!

The more that I balance my diet, though, the less I've been wanting it, even during pms. So be patient with yourself. Hopefully what happened to me happens to you in time.

I drink tons of water first, then have my healthy food, and if I'm still dying for a treat, I eat the treat. But I break it into pieces, and eat it really, really slowly.

If I'm still hungry for more, a glass of milk often is just the thing. Sugar free chocolate syrup (or even a bit of the real thing) will usually tame the rest of the cravings. Apple sauce with a little cinnamon and a drop of almond extract and a pinch of raisins tastes almost decadent. A piece of nice whole grain toast with a teaspoon of honey isn't too bad.

The main thing is, LOG EVERYTHING YOU EAT, especially, ESPECIALLY, especially the bad stuff. You will simply not want to eat more as you watch the calories add up and add up and add up....
  • Syntria
    Syntria Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My problem isn't cravings so much as I actually get faint during my period. My period is in the upper 10% people as far as how heavy it is (so annoying). It makes it hard to work out when I feel weak. I'm so lucky I don't get cramps very often, an occasional punch in the gut feeling but rarely.

I really feel for those who have agony during their period. I do get moody though, usually insecure, irritable, and *****y.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Been hitting the gym hard and eating well, and PMS hasn't thrown anything at me that I couldn't resist the last couple of cycles.

I know there are real chemical changes in our bodies each month, but I'm starting to believe maybe this is just one of the excuses we use to justify eating a bunch of crap !
  • Giantess
    Giantess Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    "The Fiber One brownies are 90 calories and DELICIOUS! "

Seconded. HOWEVER, if you eat two of them, prepare for the GAS. One usually won't effect you.

They're sweetened with sugar alcohol, which added to the extra fiber can cause the runs and the toots, to put it bluntly.

I found this out the hard way, haha!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    "The Fiber One brownies are 90 calories and DELICIOUS! "

Seconded. HOWEVER, if you eat two of them, prepare for the GAS. One usually won't effect you.

They're sweetened with sugar alcohol, which added to the extra fiber can cause the runs and the toots, to put it bluntly.

I found this out the hard way, haha!

Dang...I was hoping they weren't like that. I haven't tried them yet, but the Fiber One bars did me in a few years ago, and I avoid them like the plague now!!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I used to think PMS sucked....... but then menopause (or peri-menpause) started. Oh joy. I'm sure every woman is different but for me the process of menopause (still don't know if I'm done with TOM's yet) has been a crazy hormonal roller coaster, bloating, weight gain, fatigue....and then nothing, no period, only to start the whole process a week later. Anywho............

All of us women 12 to 60+ have hormonal issues, periods, child birth, menopause...are bodies are always in flux. It's been like this since the beginning of time. The best you can do is -
    1- rid the house of sweets!!!!
    2- work out really hard
    3- go shopping (retail therapy works for me:))
    4- drink wine with your best gf's and laugh about it
    5- indulge in some chocolate and move on with your life