Hey!! Just getting started on MFPal because of Pre-diabetes

6 yrs ago, I was at my ideal weight. I used MGPal for 12 months and lost 40 lbs so I could look good at my daughters wedding. I slowly gained some weight with a couple years, but no more than 10 lbs. In Aug 2016 my mother passed away unexpectedly. Within a few months I was have panic attacks at night and anxiety episodes during the day. Went to psychiatrist and she put me on Prozac. I gave it time but it still wasn’t working at 4 weeks. Then she put me on Effexor SR…it worked and I started ballooning with my weight. I am now on a combination of Wellbutrin and Cymbalta. I’ve put almost 50 lbs on in these last 5 years. I feel better with my anxiety and depression but now my health is not good because of blood sugar. Time to get the weight off. I’m 62 and this is not as easy as it was 5 yrs ago.My weight is 253 and my BMI is 37. My glucose is 101. Not bad, but my A1C is now at 6.1 and that is Pre-Diabetes level. I met with a health coach at our local hospital and I started last Thursday on a medium Carb diet, meaning no more than 45 grams per meal. And also to consume high protein foods. I am on this for life now. Please give me encouragement. Love you all. Jay

Replies

• Anthem76
    Anthem76 Posts: 81 Member
    I'm so sorry you've been having a hard time and am glad your mental health treatments are providing relief. You have some powerful reasons to improve your health....I'm looking at that cute little bean in your arms. You've lost the weight before and you can do it again. Better yet, you know this is forever. It's a lifestyle change. It's not merely to lose weight, but to improve the quality of your life. MFP is such a great place to gain support and knowledge. Wishing you success. I know you can do it.
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Hi Jay! When I started taking psych medications I also quickly gained weight. It leveled off after about a 40 pound gain. I’ve been there for a few years. I was recently diagnosed with pre diabetes too and am on a lower carb diet as my dietician advised. I have managed to lose 10 pounds over the past 2 months but my mood has been quite low lately and it’s been hard to stick with my workouts although I still do them. This IS a lifestyle change and I can do it! You can do it too! We can both dodge diabetes if we just stick with it!