But is it water??

2»

Replies

• daronkeel
    daronkeel Posts: 6 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Why not more than a gallon on an extra hot long run day?

If you don't set a goal, do you ever go for a run and forget to drink and re-hydrate?

If you eat 2 lbs of watermelon (I did that two days ago), do you still drink a gallon that day?

Thank you for your response. My initial question had NOTHING to do with the amount of water I drink per day or advice about it. Have a great day.
  • daronkeel
    sijomial wrote: »
    daronkeel wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    Logging water intake is important to make sure you are getting the amount you need daily.
    Not for me, I don't find it difficult to keep myself adequately hydrated without counting my intake.
    My hydration needs are hugely variable day to day and a fixed amount would be too little some days and too much on others.
    On days with multi-hour hot or humid bike rides I will be conscious of frequency and colour of urination but generally my thirst reflex works fine.

I’ve logged this on and off for years and found I was much more successful logging, especially when my goal is 1 gallon per day.
    Why a gallon? Wondering if you need to log your intake to reach this goal whether it's because you don't actually need that much?

The question I’ve always had, but never really asked……if you put a pre-workout powder in a bottle of water, log the pre-workout powder for calories, etc, is the bottle of water counted / logged as water intake?
    Yes if you feel the need to track water intake. There's a persistent myth that even small amounts of caffeine negate water intake - dosage matters and it has to be a very high amount of caffeine in a small amount of water for a drink not to be net hydrator.
    Most drinks and even foods contribute towards your hydration.

You ask “why a gallon”? Because I live in south Texas where there is heat & high humidity and I am a distance runner, therefore I set a goal of a gallon / day in the summer.

There's many days with long summer rides when I need more than a gallon.
    There's many days when I don't.

Which I why I don't set a fixed goal because needs aren't fixed.

Thanks for the additional reply. My question had nothing to do with the amount of my water intake. You do you.
    Have a great evening.
  • daronkeel
    NovusDies wrote: »
    daronkeel wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Why not more than a gallon on an extra hot long run day?

If you don't set a goal, do you ever go for a run and forget to drink and re-hydrate?

If you eat 2 lbs of watermelon (I did that two days ago), do you still drink a gallon that day?

Thank you for your response. My initial question had NOTHING to do with the amount of water I drink per day or advice about it. Have a great day.

If a person asked for the best method to step over a poisonous snake, a caring response would be to tell the person to first try and find a path around it.

When a person asks if an additive disqualifies water as water it suggests they are towards the beginning of their hydration knowledge. There are old myths that exist that say that you must drink x amount of water and nothing but water counts. These myths are not helpful to a healthy lifestyle and they can even be harmful. You have received caring responses.

Actually, I never asked the best way to “hydrate” myself so not real sure what you are reading. I asked specifically about logging water. If you do not log water….then keep scrolling. I drink / log water for specific reasons….none that I initially described and others that I do not need to explain. I am very knowledgeable in hydration and my needs to maintain my hydration. I do disagree with your opinions on your hydration myths, which was never, ever part of the question.

So again, have a great evening.

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    It’s still water.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,113 Member
    While we’re discussing hydration and pee color… brownish urine can also be a sign of blood. Get it checked if it’s either a new symptom (especially if accompanied by flank pain and/or fever), or a persistent symptom where you know you’re drinking enough fluids.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    The amount of water you need daily has been found to be much less than some health gurus advise, and yes, drinks other than water, drinks with protein powder in, and even soups are used by your body as fluid intake. Once you are adequately hydrated there are no benefits to drinking additional water. And in fact, it’s far more common to die of excess water intake by messing up your sodium balance than from dehydration.

There are deaths to due to overhydration but illnesses are much more common due to dehydrated ion. Overhydration is typically an illness of athletes training long times in hot environments (hence the invention of Gatorade in Florida to help replace electrolytes in football players), a very small % of the population.

Since the vast majority of people don't exercise to start out with and many that do wouldn't consider it if the temp was above 75 degrees overhydration isn't an issue for most.