Traveling and need help

Options
I am traveling for business next week to Virginia/DC- leaving Monday morning and coming home Friday evening. The hotel I am staying in does a have a gym so I will hopefully be able to get in there after meetings, socials, etc. Can you recommend any snacks/food I can travel with? Or any quick tips? I don't want this week to get me off track!

Replies

• onevision
    Options
    I travel with protein bars, beef jerky and dried edamame beans, all low cal snacks, taste good. And I keep away from the beer so as to prevent minibar raids!
  • abbie017
    Options
    DC and Northern Virginia are incredibly walkable. Bring some sneakers and try to walk as much as you can. I live just outside DC, and I walk everywhere!

Have fun on your trip!
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want, but in moderation. Don't scarf a whole plate of anything. Also, stay away from heavy Italian on vacation. It'll getcha. Walk a lot! Exercise when you can. You'll be fine!! :)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Where exactly will you be, if you don't mind me asking? I travel to the area often and have no problem finding good food options and getting in exercise. If you are staying in DC proper or in Crystal City, you have it made for walk-ability. Sometimes I get stuck a little further out in Arlington and walking is not possible so I have to rely on the hotel treadmill.

As someone who travels here and there for work, I have two words of wisdom for you: portion control. I get stuck eating catered-in food or other meals I have no control over. The only thing I can control is how much I eat. As for snacks, I always have nuts or trail mix on me. Easy to bring on the plane and easy to tote around without refrigeration.
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    If you are in Crystal City on Wednesday or Saturday you could come check out a free CrossFit class at CF South Arlington :P
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Keep tracking and make wise decision. It's tough when you're on the road (trust me I was in Hotlanta last week).
  • mreneecohen
    mreneecohen Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'll be in Herndon, VA and have NO CLUE what is near by!

PS- Anyone have any information on transportation to and from the National Mall at night?
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I'll be in Herndon, VA and have NO CLUE what is near by!

PS- Anyone have any information on transportation to and from the National Mall at night?

You are way out there near Dulles. I tend to fly into Reagan (DCA) which puts me right in the middle of everything. You'll need a VA local to help you with transportation. There may be a metro station somewhat near there but it will likely be a ways from your hotel. Check and see if your hotel offers any transportation options (like a shuttle).
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Herndon is connected to the metro...so far...