Injured and struggling to stay motivated

Options
I knew the day was coming, and it's finally arrived. After years of athletics and being in the military I stopped working out as consistently as I had in the past. Recently, my wife and I welcomed out little girl to the family and it's motivated me to starting working out consistently again. Well, after a couple weeks of running and feeling exceptionally well, I woke up about a week ago to some serious pain in my knees. After a week of no running and little improvement, I visited my doctor who said that, while it's not 100% certain, it could be a meniscus tear. That's about the worst possible news I could have received since physical activity is what drives me forward everyday and I work in a physically demanding job. It's been pretty depressing to sit around and not do much and I'm really trying to figure out how this is going to affect my training and physical activity in the future. In all my years of playing sports and being in the military, I've never been injured like this and it's become difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel. It's really been a challenge for the past week and it sounds like it might be another 6-8 weeks before I'm able to do much working out again. Talk about frustrating...

Replies

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that. That IS frustrating. Can you swim? Is there a bike or rowing machine? I'd do whatever you can get the "go" for. You'll be able to say, "At least I'm doing what I can." Congratulations on your little girl!! You have time to sort this out, and you'll be much wiser about your approach when you're recovered. I find that I'm much more fit than I was in my 20s (I was a couch potato until about age 40), but if injured, I need to take the time to heal. There's no quick bounce back, no working through pain. Just rest, hydration, good nutrition, etc. Hang in there. Follow the professional advice and you'll be back sooner than doing your own impatient plan ;)
  • ivobonev
    ivobonev Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    First of all congratulations on your little girl! If nothing else take this as a chance to spend time with her. I am sure that it's horribly frustrating, but you can make the best out of a bad situation. Here are a few ideas you can look into:
    - Improving your eating habits. Cooking and tracking your meals can take a lot of time and this is a chance to do that, learn more about what you eat and this will pay off later when you eat healthier in the long run.
    - Work on your upper body. Sounds like you should be able to do that despite the injury.
    - planning on how to get back to training when the injury heals. Running can be high impact, so you might look into something lower impact to start off with. Perhaps swimming or I've heard cycling can be good for the knees if done moderately.
    The main thing is that a person's perception of how good they feel is tied to the perception of progress. If you feel you are improving, you will will feel happy. If you feel you are regressing, you will feel unhappy. You can find other ways to progress, while you are injured and they can help in the long run too.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Don’t let the injury to your knee take over your head. Make a plan. Have you asked your Dr for a referral to physical therapy?

Try looking on YouTube for workouts to work around your injury. I’m likely significantly older than you are and can tell you that sooner or later exercise almost always gets down to working around injuries. We either figure out how to do it or end up quitting. Knees, shoulders, feet and ankles. Seems like nearly everyone I know has some sort of issue. Just how it is.

My routine is usually to sit on the couch pouting for 2-3 days before calling the Dr to get to physical therapy. It’s amazing how much they know.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Congratulations on the birth of your daughter.
    Why not do all the working out you can that doesn't involve any knee pressure? Lots of upper body strength - weights and resistance. Pull ups. Floor core work - sit ups, leg raises etc as well as the Superman stretch if that is possible. If it feels right, you could continue to work on your uninjured leg with some pistol squats.

All of these will give you the buzz you need, help your body feel fitter and stronger and also help protect your knee because other muscles being stronger can help compensate for it. I did this when I was left almost bedridden with agonising plantar fasciitis. I followed youtube exercise videos for serious foot injuries and built up from there.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,291 Member
    Options
    I’m disabled. I can barely walk. I don’t say this to be “inspiring” but to lay out the truth.
    If we’re lucky enough we will live long enough to be disabled.
    All of us.

Sounds harsh but it’s true.

So. Take this as a wake up call. Doing exercises that stress your body too much doesn’t help you. But emphasizing exercise that you CAN do is key.

I use a recumbent elliptical. It’s awesome. I feel like I’m flying on that thing. I can get the exact same high you mention.
    The other advice you’ve gotten is also good. Talk to a physical therapist as soon as possible. And maybe ask them about knee braces? I have to use them, even on the recumbent elliptical. They are very helpful for me.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    I knew the day was coming, and it's finally arrived. After years of athletics and being in the military I stopped working out as consistently as I had in the past. Recently, my wife and I welcomed out little girl to the family and it's motivated me to starting working out consistently again. Well, after a couple weeks of running and feeling exceptionally well, I woke up about a week ago to some serious pain in my knees. After a week of no running and little improvement, I visited my doctor who said that, while it's not 100% certain, it could be a meniscus tear. That's about the worst possible news I could have received since physical activity is what drives me forward everyday and I work in a physically demanding job. It's been pretty depressing to sit around and not do much and I'm really trying to figure out how this is going to affect my training and physical activity in the future. In all my years of playing sports and being in the military, I've never been injured like this and it's become difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel. It's really been a challenge for the past week and it sounds like it might be another 6-8 weeks before I'm able to do much working out again. Talk about frustrating...

I hear and understand your frustration. When being active is important to mental health and even economic well-being, it's especially annoying to have periods of enforced reduced activity - even when that's essential for healing so future progress. I get it. I get mildly PO-ed when I need to take even short breaks to recover from essential surgery or something.

But letting yourself slip into catastrophizing about it can lead to some worse places . . . so don't. (I'll let you Google the research studies, because they exist, but oversimplifying, essentially it's that if we catastrophize, it becomes more likely that pain perception increases, and effective countering actions may decrease.)

There are usefully active things you can do *now*, as people have outlined above. If you prioritize healing, including repair if necessary, there likely are many more things you can do later. They may not be the same things you've previously done, but there's no way to be sure of that now.

Believe me, even though I get how bad it feels (and actually is) in the moment, a torn meniscus is not literally the worst possible news you could get.

How do I know this? I was diagnosed, 100% certain sure via MRI, with a meniscus tear. That was on top of pre-existing knee arthritis. I got a cortisone injection, went to PT (which won't fix a torn meniscus, but helped me learn to walk and use stairs in ways that would reduce future stress on the knee). I was told I'd need clean-up surgery and even knee replacement at some point, possibly soon, but that I wasn't burning any bridges to do any exercise that I could tolerate, while deferring surgery. (Note: Don't assume you can do likewise until you get a firm diagnosis. Some knee problems can be made much worse by enduring discomfort/pain.) That was around 5 year ago, and I haven't needed surgery yet (and my pain/discomfort is very manageable).

After that diagnosis and PT, I experimented. I found that I can do things that do straight-line hinging knee motions, even with strong pressure, but that high impact or torque on my knee is a bad idea (makes the knee worse, non-temporarily). After your healing from the acute stage, you may find something different from that. For my situation, biking (stationary or "real") and rowing (on-water or machine) work fine, and allow for quite intense workouts. I avoid activities that involve twisting/torque on my knees, which includes some games (basketball, tennis, etc.) and things like dance-y aerobics. I can walk briskly (with a slow buildup after any long hiatus) but not run. Once again, you may not find the same things - I recognize that both sports and running are important to you. I can swim, but I hate it with an awesome fiery passion, so I only do it enough to stay tuned up for on-water rowing swimming needs (it's easy to flip those skinny boats). I can strength train, but some specific lifts are not a good plan.

Long run, you can figure out what works for you. If it isn't the same stuff you've enjoyed in the past, don't assume you can't enjoy some new things. I often think that the wisest sign in the world is one you see in lots of places; it says "You are here". That's the only place you can proceed from - not where you wish you were, where it would feel fair to be, etc. Just here. But there's almost always a path forward, IME . . . unless you do get the actual "worst possible news". (As an advanced-stage cancer survivor and cancer widow, I have some clues about what neighborhood that might be. I don't say that to pose as somehow noble, but to suggest - once again - that you avoid catastrophizing, and focus on what you *can* do. Finding the factors you can control is powerful, and empowering.)

You don't mention bodyweight, but if you've added a little by being comfortable and less active for a while, lose it. I wouldn't do that during the acute phase of healing (you want to prioritize healing, and that requires calories/nutrition). Once you are past that, managing eating - getting it a little bit below calorie expenditure at whatever activity level is sensible at the time - is what's needful. When I was diagnosed with the torn meniscus, I was overfat. Losing weight - to the lower end of what's healthy for me - made a *huge* difference in pain/discomfort frequency and severity.

Get good nutrition, as a bet hedge. Consider supplements that *might* help, like glucosamine/chondroitin (I'd try those, if I weren't vegetarian).

TL; DR:

Catastrophizing is a bad idea: research suggests it INCREASES pain and extends recovery (possibly indefinitely).
    Find things you CAN do, don't wishful focus on CAN'T: It's a waste of your time & energy.
    If you have excess weight, lose it via changing eating habits.
    Get good PT.

Wishing you excellent long-run outcomes!
  • elizabethcorringham
    elizabethcorringham Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am going through a similar thing with my knees , the scales suggested I had put a stone on , but I think some of this is odema around my knees. Very frustrated & feeling very heavy , so I am trying to keep logging my food at least to keep some control. Hope you make some progress , take care
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,291 Member
    Options
    I hope you can be helped by the advice here. Injuries are no fun. But with the right help, you can get past it. Keep going. But also ask a physical therapist for help.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Injuries are part of the game. So what do you do? Well, first off I would get verification if it is a meniscus tear. If it is, get surgery and you can be back to it within 6 weeks if your rehab is done correctly (I know because I tore my meniscus at age 54 and now can run, squat, jump, etc. again with no pain). If you can't do any impact training, there's still biking, rowing, swimming etc. You HAVE options.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ianplumlee1
    ianplumlee1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Everyone of you! I appreciate the kind words and the input on my situation. I know I don't know y'all, but I love each and every one of you for taking the time to reply to my post with your thoughts and ideas. It truly means the world to me. I've started doing some upper body exercises with my kettlebells and I've been stretching my legs and doing some strengthening exercises to help stabilize my keens and prevent future injury. My biggest fear in all of this is that I won't be able to rock climb and hike or run long distances anymore. From the sound of it, that's just an overreaction in my part and I'm pretty happy to hear that. I think my next step is talking to an orthopedic surgeon and getting an MRI to verify the extent of the damage so we can plan a recovery that works best for me. Thanks again, everyone. Your words and your time are appreciated.