Jump Rope/Hula Hoop

Options
I'm determined to be able to jump rope, and hula hoop like when I was a kid! Anyone else jump rope or hula hope?

Replies

• vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Bought a jump rope but went at it too enthusiastically and injured my Achilles. I intend to get back to it but will definitely go slowly and build up to it this time.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    I jump rope! It was my Christmas gift! Great exercise!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I have 3 hula hoops. I do arms, legs, but just can’t do what I did when I was a kid. It’s fun to try!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    This isn't very current, but still some good info.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/2763-hooping
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I have both, and threw in a pogo stick for good measure :D it is fun! Although way harder than I ever remember as a kid! I definitely have to take jump rope slow (got out of the habit, been wanting to start back up) because I get shin splints easily so I make sure I have cushy shoes on when I do it.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    No hula hoop but I do jump rope on occasion. This week, I did 5 minutes before my run and another 5 minutes afterwards. The rope is super portable in a fanny pack.

Hooping sounds like a BUNCH of fun though! Also, I think there are weighted hoops now too which ups the ante on the cardio 😅💦
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Jump Rope Dudes! youtube them...

Yes you can learn.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    Options
    I bought a hula hoop on a complete whim a few months back.

It’s been on my bucket list. Silly, I know, but, I’ve never been able to do one and was always the subject of ridicule when I tried.

I watched a “how to video” on their site and to my astonishment was able to do it on the first try.

I believe you could have heard me hollering on the next block. Big ole fat sloppy grin, maybe even a tear or two.

I’d love to learn to do several at once like a friend, and maybe get some of those light-up ones. As a kid, I dreamed of running away and joining the circus. Maybe I could be my own sideshow, lol.
  • sassynurse73
    sassynurse73 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Glad to see so many people enjoying hula hooping and jump roping! I did buy the weighted hula hoop, so I've been practicing. I'm jumping rope about 5 min a day. It's definitely a workout.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to jump rope but just don't have the stamina to stay with it very long. :( But last year I got my hula hoop out and did it 15-30 minutes a day for a few months. It was great fun doing it to the music! But then, I got lazy. :( And have yet to pick it up again. My sister was making them for awhile and having local stores sell them so she gave me one; it's a nice one. I'd never been able to do it before using that one.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I jump rope I brought 1 for me, my daughter and the grand kids, we jump for fun and exercise at the same time. Love it I do 20 reps at a time until I reach 100 or more reps. <3
  • koolGsmoove
    koolGsmoove Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I jump rope a little bit