Seemingly too many calories to eat back

Options
lkn42
lkn42 Posts: 37 Member
agjw1m6c0zyp.jpeg

I’m puzzled about how the calculation works. Seems strange that MFP gives me over 700 calories to eat back for a measly 5000 steps. That can’t be right can it? Am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i dont eat back my exercise calories
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Have you done any other kind of exercise today? Fitbit, as I understand it, doesn't transfer activities to be listed on your MFP diary, but it will transfer the estimated calorie burn (which might not show up as steps. The steps themselves are not the only contribution to the calories burned number.)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    Fflpnari wrote: »
    i dont eat back my exercise calories
    So what's your NET deficit then?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Kabootom
    Kabootom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yeah I too think this is correct, the linked accounts are adding this up!
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    IF you only have your fitbit linked to MFP, then indeed 700 kcal is high unless you have had high peaks in your heart rate that Fitbit recognizes as some form of exercise or maybe you are a very big guy who will burn more cals when stepping around 5.000 steps.
    I'm a 160 lbs-ish woman and I got 228 kcals for 6.500 steps yesterday.
    Maybe you are also syncing with Strava or Garmin? That would accumulate the expenditure.

And I concur that if you are using your fitbit only recently, it still needs to adjust to your personal settings.
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Antiopelle wrote: »
    IF you only have your fitbit linked to MFP, then indeed 700 kcal is high unless you have had high peaks in your heart rate that Fitbit recognizes as some form of exercise or maybe you are a very big guy who will burn more cals when stepping around 5.000 steps.
    I'm a 160 lbs-ish woman and I got 228 kcals for 6.500 steps yesterday.
    Maybe you are also syncing with Strava or Garmin? That would accumulate the expenditure.

And I concur that if you are using your fitbit only recently, it still needs to adjust to your personal settings.

It also depends on what activity level you selected in MFP though. If Sedentary and your actual day to day is more along lightly active or active then that will result in a much larger calorie add on from FitBit.
  • siyeonsimpp
    siyeonsimpp Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If you only have MFP linked, then 741 would be really high, only under the exception that you’re extremely big. I’m on the smaller side, but I only burn around 30 calories from 2000 steps, so I doubt anyone regardless of their size would burn that much.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    If you only have MFP linked, then 741 would be really high, only under the exception that you’re extremely big. I’m on the smaller side, but I only burn around 30 calories from 2000 steps, so I doubt anyone regardless of their size would burn that much.

The thing is: Fitbit only sends over total calorie burn to MFP, so workouts aren't shown in the exercise diary (but they're still counted in the calories). 741 extra calories for only taking 5000 steps (around 2000 steps above sedentary) is high, yes and would lead me to think Fitbit is overestimating calorie burn. But if the OP also did a workout that day, it might be a perfectly reasonable number (depending on the workout).
  • lkn42
    Options
    I am using fitbit only as a step tracker. I'm not even wearing it on my wrist to obtain my heart rate. The wrist band irritates me so I removed the band and simply walk around with the fitbit in my pocket. I believe I chose the sedentary setting in MFP because that's where I was when I first began with MFP (many days only 2000 to 3000 steps). I'm now getting a minimum of 6000 steps and most days 8000 steps with a few 10,000 steps obtained here and there. I'm doing no other exercise yet but I plan to begin soon.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    lkn42 wrote: »
    I am using fitbit only as a step tracker. I'm not even wearing it on my wrist to obtain my heart rate. The wrist band irritates me so I removed the band and simply walk around with the fitbit in my pocket. I believe I chose the sedentary setting in MFP because that's where I was when I first began with MFP (many days only 2000 to 3000 steps). I'm now getting a minimum of 6000 steps and most days 8000 steps with a few 10,000 steps obtained here and there. I'm doing no other exercise yet but I plan to begin soon.

You might find some of the nice alternate holders, many don't like wearing on their wrist.
    But bouncing around in pocket can easily ruin a good estimate for distance walked and therefore calories burned.

Actually it doesn't matter how you are using the device - your method actually has some benefits for accuracy.

It matters if you have accounts linked. So no ability to add some info to your original question yet.

So got the answer to no exercise on that day that might have had high HR but few steps.

Do you have MFP Meal total calories showing up in Fitbit?
    That says if you have accounts linked.
  • lkn42
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

You might find some of the nice alternate holders, many don't like wearing on their wrist.
    But bouncing around in pocket can easily ruin a good estimate for distance walked and therefore calories burned.

Actually it doesn't matter how you are using the device - your method actually has some benefits for accuracy.

It matters if you have accounts linked. So no ability to add some info to your original question yet.

So got the answer to no exercise on that day that might have had high HR but few steps.

Thanks for your help in understanding. I do not have the accounts linked.
  • heybales
    Options

Thanks for your help in understanding. I do not have the accounts linked.

In that case MFP has no idea what distance those steps took you (required info for good calorie burn estimate), nor if you start exercising how many of them would occur at the same time as a logged workout.

So it is making some super rough estimates of calorie burn, and that's what the adjustment is for. And as you have shown - not a good estimate in your case.

When you log a workout it will have no idea if those extra steps & calories is related to the workout or not - so it removes it from the workout calories in essence to prevent potentially double counting them.
    But that isn't true - you could have an intense spin bike class with barely any steps seen but big calorie burn, and then a big busy day with lots of walking around.
    And MFP in that case will remove credit for your active day to some large extent.

Frankly the ability for MFP to just use a device (Fitbit, your phone, smart watches, ect) as a mere step counter is in my opinion pretty worthless and fraught with error.
    If walking was your only thing, and it got good estimates, and you were more active than your activity level - possibly useful.

I'd suggest you turn that setting off, and actually link accounts and benefit from better Fitbit estimate of calorie burn.
    It can be tweaked too for improved estimates if you do things that can cause bad data, but off the start it has much better chance I think.
  • lkn42
    Options
    Turning the setting off and linking accounts sounds like a better plan. Thanks!
  • heybales
    Options

I'd suggest update this thread when you start working out, with what is being done.
    Some workouts can have good estimates, some can have bad ones.
    But in the scheme of things, a workout that is even perhaps 100% inflated calorie burn, but it's only 15 min 3x weekly, and you are very active otherwise - big whoop, your food logging is more inaccurate than that.

On the other hand, you could remain very sedentary outside of workouts (me!), workouts which could end up being frequent and long, and then a say 25% inflated calorie burn matters.

Or you end up getting up to 15K steps daily - now distance accuracy on the device matters for best estimated calorie burn.

Just update your topic here when those things happen and we'll see it.
  • lkn42
    Options

I'd suggest update this thread when you start working out, with what is being done.
    Some workouts can have good estimates, some can have bad ones.
    But in the scheme of things, a workout that is even perhaps 100% inflated calorie burn, but it's only 15 min 3x weekly, and you are very active otherwise - big whoop, your food logging is more inaccurate than that.

On the other hand, you could remain very sedentary outside of workouts (me!), workouts which could end up being frequent and long, and then a say 25% inflated calorie burn matters.

Or you end up getting up to 15K steps daily - now distance accuracy on the device matters for best estimated calorie burn.

Just update your topic here when those things happen and we'll see it.

I think I might learn a lot from you.
    I start a much more active job next week. I'll be on my feet for 8 hours per day and will be lifting boxes of up to 25 pounds frequently. I also bought a pair of rollerskates (something I used to love doing when I was a teen). So I will update as my activity increases.
  • heybales
    Options
    Is it really on your feet though, if wearing roller skates? ;-)

I'm imagining you'll get underestimated extra calorie burns at work.

Standing but no steps is given sleeping calorie burn rate (BMR), if lifting moving upper body, even more actually burned you'll probably see no credit for.

Something new in movement - may get sore and gain water weight - be ready.
    To be patient and do nothing new but eat more for doing more.