Help please

RGG1987
RGG1987 Posts: 1 Member
I'm new and have "tried" to do calories for about two weeks. I have many questions and need a buddy or two..for one, when I put in some items it'll show 5 different amounts of calories (not different names)..so frustrated because I can't get help to figure this program out. Thanks to anyone that'll help.

Replies

• TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,530 Member
    @RGG1987

The food database is crowdsourced, meaning that anybody can add foods and others can see them when they search. This is great in the sense that you aren't having to add every food you want to eat from scratch. But it's unfortunately also riddled with data errors for a multitude of reasons, including people misreading/misunderstanding the nutrition labels, only entering part of the data, companies changing recipes/formulas so what was entered before is no longer correct, different nutrition profiles in different countries, different nutrition labelling laws in different countries, and a whole bunch of others!

So my best piece of advice is to use really specific search terms (e.g. include the brand name as well as the product description like Kellog's Cornflakes instead of just cornflakes), or for fresh produce, include how it's cooked (e.g. instead of searching for peach, search for peach raw). Try to choose entries that are in weights rather than volumes (except for liquids as volume is better than weight for those), and use a food scale to log the exact amount you eat.

Sometimes, there might not be an entry in the database that matches your product exactly, so you may need to enter some of these in yourself using the nutrition label. You can do this directly from the diary, when you search for a food there's a little note at the bottom that says "Can't find what you're looking for? Add a food to the database" - click that and enter the details, paying attention to the portion size and number of serves in the pack.

Is there a particular food that you're having trouble with?