Look at me, disgusting. :(

Options
I could really do with some friends to help me lose weight, I’m 12 stone (170lbs) and this is the largest I’ve ever been in my life! I’m disgusted with myself.

Replies

• DiscipleOfChrist29
    DiscipleOfChrist29 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi Chartilburry,

I'm not good with using this app or site with friends and keeping people accountable but do not be too hard on yourself. It has happened to best of us. A lot of us, actually. That is why we are using this app/site :smile: . You are starting your journey and you will achieve the goal your set by being consistent. Just start with the habit of tracking your food first. Get a food scale and weigh everything and log everything. Just being consistent with that will start you down the right path of making better choices. There are tons of inspirational people on here with better advice than me. So much of this thing is a mental battle before it even starts with food and exercise. Feeling disgusted can be motivating but move from that to determined and resilient. You got this!!!
    I could really do with some friends to help me lose weight, I’m 12 stone (170lbs) and this is the largest I’ve ever been in my life! I’m disgusted with myself.

• chartilburry
    chartilburry Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Your "Day 1" is someone's goal.

It serves no one to speak unkindly about your body, or anyone else's, for that matter. I shudder to think what you might say about mine, for instance; I've never even been as small as you are.

Your body may not look quite the way you would like it to right now, but it sure does keep all your organs together in one place. It lets you move through the world and experience life, hug your loved ones, pet dogs, feel a warm summer breeze...Your body does a lot for you, she doesn't deserve to be treated like this.

I wouldn’t be ‘disgusted’ with anyone else’s body I never look at others like that and I don’t compare myself to others either. I wouldn’t pass judgment on anyone because of their weight but this is MY body I’m talking about, I have a right to feel disgusted with myself. Everyone is different and that’s fine but I just don’t want to be this weight. My preference in men is someone with extra few lbs, I like the larger man so I actually find extra weight quite attractive on other people just not me lol.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,122 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Your "Day 1" is someone's goal.

It serves no one to speak unkindly about your body, or anyone else's, for that matter. I shudder to think what you might say about mine, for instance; I've never even been as small as you are.

Your body may not look quite the way you would like it to right now, but it sure does keep all your organs together in one place. It lets you move through the world and experience life, hug your loved ones, pet dogs, feel a warm summer breeze...Your body does a lot for you, she doesn't deserve to be treated like this.

I wouldn’t be ‘disgusted’ with anyone else’s body I never look at others like that and I don’t compare myself to others either. I wouldn’t pass judgment on anyone because of their weight but this is MY body I’m talking about, I have a right to feel disgusted with myself. Everyone is different and that’s fine but I just don’t want to be this weight. My preference in men is someone with extra few lbs, I like the larger man so I actually find extra weight quite attractive on other people just not me lol.

Of course you have the right to be disgusted with yourself. I think some of us just feel that thinking of yourself like that isn't the best starting point for weight loss. It's fine to not be happy and to want change, but I think a more positive approach is a better way forward. E.g. "I am a worthwhile person, but I've let my weight get out of hand, my body deserves better". Just a matter of mental framing :smile:
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    The end of the day weight loss is a form of self-care. You can't hate yourself into taking care of yourself.
  • tluisa311
    tluisa311 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You sound a lot like myself..... I have a tendency to feel and think the same thing about my body when I look in the mirror. Sometimes that feeling is what motivates you to work harder and stay committed. I am also the heaviest I've ever been and I know that it's bc of laziness and overeating, so I am tough on myself. But if I'm not, then no one else will be, so I use it to motivate myself. Once you put in the work and start to see results, don't forget to congratulate yourself on the work you've done. I'm only a fraction of the way to my goal, but I'm proud of what I've done so far. You do have the right to feel any way you want about your body, just don't forget to give yourself credit when you've put the work in.