Calling all parents of teenagers

Ugh....I have been emotionally eating all of my "I don't like my teenage daughter" vibes today :( The good news is, I'm tracking all them calories. The bad news is.....the calories are all chocolate related. I'll survive the teenage years right? RIGHT?

Hard to believe that when I first started on MFP she was a sweet, compliant 7 year old (this is my second account), and now she's just......not anymore. I love her, but man oh man I don't like her very much right now.

Any other parents of teenagers out there that get that sour pit of their stomach feeling whenever they have to get "mean" with their kids? Please give me all your stories and help me remember I am not alone!!

Disclaimer in case people can't figure it out *I love my child to no end, but venting is needed! Also, I know it's not her fault I turned to emotional eating today.*

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,248 Member
    I am two decades past the teenager years.
    Stay strong. Time passes. This stage is not forever.
  • Zoomie402
    Zoomie402 Posts: 260 Member
    I am two decades past the teenager years.
    Stay strong. Time passes. This stage is not forever.

Thank goodness for that. She's such a good kid really. She's just being 15. Normal.
  • WootLouisa
    WootLouisa Posts: 6 Member
    I am in the same boat. She used to take walks with the dogs and me, now she won't. She was so sweet as a little kid. Now she tried to rewrite history. "I NEVER liked that." for example I have a cute video of her singing a song from Frozen in 2nd grade. She goes to tell me she never liked Frozen and hated it the whole time 🙄
  • Bj0223
    Bj0223 Posts: 133 Member
    My hard to handle daughter is now an Army Medic and amazes me everyday. To say my daughter was a handful at 15 is the understatement of the century. My favorite saying that got me through the hard times was " good kids make bad choices" The kid is not bad but the choices they make are so terrible. Hang in there!
  • Toronto6fan
    Toronto6fan Posts: 413 Member
    I've got 3 teens and some days I want to pull my hair out. Happy to vent with you.
  • Zoomie402
    Bj0223 wrote: »
    My hard to handle daughter is now an Army Medic and amazes me everyday. To say my daughter was a handful at 15 is the understatement of the century. My favorite saying that got me through the hard times was " good kids make bad choices" The kid is not bad but the choices they make are so terrible. Hang in there!

This is especially what I needed today! My daughter is in ROTC and has said since she joined that she wants to be a nurse in the military. I am exhausted with being on my toes all the time, but I know how passionate she is with this goal so I cling to the hope that the passion keeps her from getting too wrapped up in some of her choices.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    My youngest is 26. It’s like whitewater rafting. Hang on and try not to fall off the ride. remember that it’s important for you to dislike her somewhat to make it easier when she moves out. Then look back some day and think wow how did I manage that. Also, don’t forget to take care of yourself.
  • Zoomie402
    I've got 3 teens and some days I want to pull my hair out. Happy to vent with you.

Oh man! You have all my respect lol One is enough for me. Her dad and I are divorced, but we only live a mile apart coparent really well. Even after I posted this yesterday, he set me a camera image of her with her sister. She was being nasty to her sister, then started to kind of chest bump her like she was pushing her backwards. When she thought she was off camera, she shoved her, the proceeded to tell her dad it was her sisters fault. After showing her the video, she walked past her sister and shoulder checked her.

When she gets in trouble she deflects and blames her behavior on things her siblings get to do or don't get based on her view of what's fair. And not to mention the quality boyfriend who is on probation for assault who decided to hit his mom, run away, and show up at my ex-husbands house. It's a lot
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    I’m on my 3rd teenager and every one has been the same - retreated to their room at 13 and came out from time to time to moan and stomp around until they were 16. During those “bedroom” years they morphed into quite likeable human beings but I often wondered if they’d been switched at birth lol

Stay strong, lay down a good set of standards and stick by them and you’ll survive :)