adf ..how to eat enough (healthfully) on feast days

Options
MerryFit519
MerryFit519 Posts: 43 Member
edited June 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
Currently (happily) doing ADF (alternate day fasting, 500 cal one day, then ((supposed to)) refeed to TDEE the next, rinse, repeat)..good results so far. :)  (most importantly I feel great and am losing weight)

My question to anyone doing this...  do you have difficulty eating (healthfully) enough on your "feast/refeed" days?  I am having this problem.  Only once so far have I had crazy calorie food day  (indulged in fried haddock and fried sweet potato fries ..which made me feel gross, lol. Hasn't happened again.)

It would be super easy to say, stuff a Big Mac and large fries in for lunch to add up calories but, I am trying to stick to healthier choices. (lean meats, veggies, fruits, nuts, etc)  ..but still, I get full, and end up with 500-1000 calories shy of the amount I should hit for my "feast" days.  I tend to plan my day's meals the day before ...but on my refeed days I end up scratching some off because I just couldn't eat more.

Any suggestions? Trying to avoid slowing down my metabolism by eating too little.

ps yes, I am at the gym 6 days a week on strength-resistance machines, biking at home and, yes, I actually like my food 'days off' ..they are a relief from calorie counting! This isn't a painful schedule to eat for me :)

Replies

• lmf1012
    lmf1012 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I’d look at some calorie dense items like greek yogurt, granola, nuts, cheese, avocado, nut butters, etc that aren’t overly filling but can add up quick.

With that said, I don’t think I’d force myself to eat every last calorie just for the sake of it if you truly are full.

• MerryFit519
    MerryFit519 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    of all the items..nut butters I haven't tried! I will look into those! :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Meet your macro goals. Body can't tell if you're eating a steak or hamburger meat. They are both broken down the same way into it's simplest form (amino acids).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,403 Member
    Options
    What’s your aim once you reached hoal weight? Make plans on how you want to eat now