Weight loss with no exercise HELP!

Options
jmhowarth7
jmhowarth7 Posts: 2 Member
I need knee surgery and have been told to lose a stone and a half before I can go on the list. Unfortunately I’ve been on crutches since December and can no longer walk my dog.
What is worse I’m away on holiday for a fortnight which will make calorie counting more tricky and who wants to diet on holiday?
Any advice would be welcome. How else can I burn calories?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about a calorie deficit. Eating less is typically the most consistent method for keeping a calorie deficit. You can lose weight without exercise.

Google seated exercise on youtube. There are also DVD series like Sit to Be Fit, or Chair Dancing.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&ei=UTF-8&p=jessica+smith+seated+exercise&type=E211US1289G0#id=2&vid=7de5898ac6dd4291ae525657861bc9cd&action=click
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I have a muscle disease and am homebound and bedbound at times, have managed weight maintenance at high weights on high dose prednisone for years with gradual weight loss, and overall loss of 70 pounds to date from my highest weight a couple years ago.

The key for me is setting up my calorie goal for my worst/ lowest exercise day. That way I’m losing (or maintaining, depending on my goals) even on my worst day. Any exercise is a bonus. (And I don’t “eat back” my exercise calories unless I’m truly very hungry, and then only half or so).

I’d say work with a nutritionist or your doctor to ensure you’re getting enough protein to save your lean muscle mass while you’re losing and not able to work out as much, while also protecting your kidneys if needed, if you have medical issues.

Maybe work with a Physiotherapist, if you haven’t already, for exercises you *can* do to keep your core and upper body and knee stabilizers strong. Working safely on balance and whatnot with them might be a good idea too. The stronger you are going into surgery, the better, probably.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Oh, as for dieting while traveling, I had to live at a hotel for treatment for a couple months, and managed to lose weight while there. I picked up a travel food scale, nice and compact.

Read ahead for menus at restaurants and picked my meals before we arrived, pre-logged them. I have a “restaurant overage” entry I made, where I’ll enter 33% more calories for a restaurant meal I can’t accurately weigh/ measure/ count etc, to account for differences in preparations and serving sizes. So, if my best guess is that the dinner meal is 1,000 calories, I’ll add in 333 calories “restaurant overage” entry, bringing it to 1,333 for that meal. (If it’s something I can count, like eggs, bacon, and 8oz of juice, I add in 25% to account for things like differences in oils used, butter on the toast, etc. If I’m eating alone and bother to use my scale to weigh it all, I’ll use the 25%).

I often saved part of the dinner and had it as breakfast. Or planned a simple breakfast that fit my meal plan, like scrambled eggs in the room. (If I made them myself, I knew how they were prepared and didn’t add the “overage” calories.)

If the hotel has a kitchenette or microwave/ fridge, it might be possible to get a grocery delivery and make breakfast and/or lunches, and keep to your meal plan much easier than you think. If weightloss isn’t possible on holiday, maintenance could be a reasonable goal 🙂
  • flatcoatedR
    flatcoatedR Posts: 173 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    You can lose weight without exercising. Center in on your diet. If you don't eat the calories, you won't have to worry about burning the calories.