Women in Triathlon (all levels/interest)

Options
Hi Ladies,
I'm starting this thread out to get ideas on apparel, but am hoping it may turn into a support/motivation group, as the sport is very expensive and overwhelming.

I am currently training for my first HalfIronman and am at the point where I need to start looking at tops to wear. My concern is that I am big chested but smaller elsewhere. I 'm typically about a 32/34 DD/G. In most cases, the size that fits my chest turns out to be too big every where else. I am thinking I may end having to have a triathlon bra (only top for the swim?) and then find a bike top that I can use to run also? Or will I need to have separate bike and run shirts to accommodate. I have never had a cycling jersey so I don't know if that will also become an issue?

Thanks for the thought/ideas and I hope everyone's training is going well. and if they're thinking of trying a triathlon, they go for it.

Replies

• skinnyrev2b
    skinnyrev2b Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Hey there! It's awesome you've started this thread.
    I'm very new to the idea. I OW swim and use the bike to commute. I've just started a c25k program and, after someone joked about it, thought about the idea of a Tri - perhaps next spring.
    I have bought and read 'Tricurious' by Fountain and King - a lighthearted intro to women competing. They recommend wearing a sports bra under a tri suit. Or, if really not wanting to invest at this point, swimming in cycle shorts (preferably ones designed for Tris, as the others could be soggy later...) and a bra, then throwing on a top for the cycle and run. They've got lots of other advice in there, so it's worth getting a copy if you can.
    There are some fairly inexpensive options on line for entry level suits though (I'm an 'all the gear' kinda girl. Not succumbed to the idea yet though!)
    Hopefully more experienced people will reply. :-)
  • txpetvet
    txpetvet Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Im new hwre wanting to train for a sprint tri in oct
  • SwtHedgehog
    SwtHedgehog Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Welcome. There was a sprint I did several years in a row. It's been canceled the last two years (storms and then Covid).
  • SallyKaPow
    SallyKaPow Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've done a few half and full irons and I always wore a tri specific top and shorts (not an all in one for peeing reasons) for the whole event. Its too difficult to get changed in transition, particularly when you're trying to keep your heart rate steady. Tri specific tops have in built sports bras.
    I'd be inclined to train in whatever you choose so you get used to it. Also think about back cover if you're training or racing in the sun.. I got killer sunburn in all of my races.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    Oh shoot. I just saw a TicTok about a super supportive bra that would double as a swim top. I have tiny titties, so I watched and then scrolled :( It looked amazing when the gal demonstrated it. I hope you find something. A tri!! Go you!! :heart:
  • SwtHedgehog
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I plan on training in whatever I'm going to wear and don't intend to use the transition tent (do/would they even have them any more?).
  • SwtHedgehog
    Options
    I bought a tri top that seems to work; I tried if on a long ride and on a swim/run race. I ended up just going to the tri store (I 'm glad we have one in town). I took a large in every style and went to the dressing room. I was amazed to find that some wouldn't even make it a fourth of the way over the girls. From the ones I didn't discarc right away, I started trying them on a second time and did sort of a bracket style decision. It came down to two. One was a little bit more comfortable, but only had two pockets, and cost thirty dollars more. I decided to go with the cheaper one; especially because I don't plan on doing another one after I cross the finish line. I 'll maybe do sprints/Olympics so with those the cheaper ons will work as well.

I did also find a bra at Titleist, but I wanted to do a little bit of research to see if the material will work. I think/hope it should.
  • skinnyrev2b
    Options
    Nice!
    I've just done a 20 mile ride (longest ever for me), and this last week did a mile OW swim. I'm only on week 5 of my C25K program, but that'll come. So... to celebrate, I've splashed out on some Trigirl merch - a swimsuit with a built in chamois and bra, and a pair of capris also with built in chamois - which can be worn separately or together for race day and training days.
    Fingers crossed that they fit and are comfy. I got a bit of chafing even with my padded cycling shorts, so may need to invest in some cream of some sort.
  • skinnyrev2b
    Options
    Morning all. I have a new found respect for Triathletes. After my ride yesterday, I thought I'd ride off the remaining acid by cycling to a new running spot for w4,d3 of the C25K I'm doing. Man! The ride was hard, the run was harder (even though it was flatter than my normal route) and the ride back... strangely wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Slightly slower, but not as wrecked as I thought I'd be. But yeah - that bike to run transition? Not fun.
    Oh, and my Trigirl kit arrived. I cycled and ran in the shorts (not capris! Doh! Must have pressed the wrong button when ordering.) The chamois is VERY minimal, but certainly comfy enough for the 6 mile round trip to the lake and easy to run in. The matching swimsuit doesn't have a chamois so need to go back and either correct my reading or correct their blurb about it. I'm bemused though - are they expecting us to swim in the shorts and cossie combo (cos without chamois in the suit, won't that cause chafing issues?) or swim then remove cossie and put on shorts? In which case what's the point of the mesh 'bra'? Just support for transition?
    #confused.
  • SwtHedgehog
    Options
    Typically, you do it all in the same clothes. The longer distances do have changing tents, or they did. I don't know how many people use them because it uses up more time. I plan on using the same clothes; especially because I'm slow and can use all the time saving that I can.

I'm glad to hear of your progress and progression. Just remember to also include both easy and rest days so you don't go too hard too much too soon and get injured. :-) I'm trying to find that balance because I think I've errored on the side of not pushing enough.

There is a stick called Glide (there's other brands as wel.). You can find it in running stores. It looks like a deodorant stick that you put on your skin to help prevent chaffing. Vaseline can cause staining and is hard on different fabrics, so stay away from that. They also make chamois butter for the bike. I don't know about other ladies, but I found I like the regular one over the pH balanced one for women.

It is definitely a complicated a d expensive sport with so many moving parts, but I love that it has cross training built in.