Walking shoes

Options
Can anyone recommend good walking shoes? I’m not a runner…. yet. Thx!!!!

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Find a local, specialty running store in your area.
    They will access your needs for fit and will recommend a proper shoe, in the proper size.

Different brands work well for different people.
    I like Asics & Brooks (hate Nike with a passion), but that's just me & you will have your own likes and dislikes.

Will you pay more at a local running shop? Yeah, probably.... but so what? You'll have the correct fit and might meet some pretty cool people there along the way.

Also, socks are important. For me, the thinner the better and make sure they are moisture wicking.

I went thru the training to run two full marathons and the correct footwear made all the difference.

Best of Luck

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    If I wear shoes that don't work for me, I get pain, in a few days I'll be limping. Tendinitis. If I wear the right shoes for me, I can hike 15 miles without discomfort.

Go to a running store and try every pair that fits on. Have them check your gait. You'll be happy you did.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I third the recommendation to go to a running store where you can get gait analysis done.

I wouldn't have bought my road trainers if I hadn't gone for gait analysis - they felt completely different to my trail shoes on the treadmill, but the store assistant was able to recommend them on the basis of what he could see. He was right, and they're really comfortable now I've gotten used to them. My running shoes are Brooks Ghost 13 (road) and Salomon Speedcross 5 (trail). Both good shoes, might not be right for you.

Think about whether you'll be on roads/trails as this will have an impact on the kind of footwear; trail shoes are less cushioned, more grippy. You can do all terrains in one shoe, but the assistant will be able to advise you on that. I personally like waterproof footwear but I run (and walk) all year round and nothing makes me more miserable than wet feet.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    I have several different brands, Avia, Nike and I mostly like New Balance (I think I have six pairs of NB, lol) but my waterproof ones are Keens. I go out every day rain or shine and I live in a rain forest so waterproofing is super important.

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I'm another person who's going to recommend Brooks.
  • lilakatra
    lilakatra Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with circulation, so compression socks really help me. Proper shoes are no longer enough..
  • missjck2
    missjck2 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Brooks all the way! I love the Ghost 13's, like walking on clouds 😌