is college right for me?

Kandace_Riopel
Kandace_Riopel Posts: 80 Member
looking for some input here: i am considering going back to college to become a registered practical nurse!!! .... i am currently a personal support worker .... now the problem i am facing is that the nearest college is 2 hours away and the cost of living is outrageous! housing is limited and safe reliable daycare options are scarce. i have a husband and 2 children 1 of which isnt in school. we also own our home and my husbands employment options are very promising here. its also my hometown and the place i want to raise my children. nurses are also a HUGE demand that is currently not being met. the course is a 2 year course and i can get osap for it but am i being selfish if i leave my husband and 2 young children to run off to college for 2 years coming home on weekends that i am not swamped with homework?? keeping in mind that i wont be able to contribute much if anything at all to our household. i want to do this to provide a better live to my children but am i going to extremes??

i kinda feel bjust thinking about this but i want to give my boys so much more in life ... including a good education!

Replies

• Kandace_Riopel
    bump cause i really need people to comment on this!!
  • Kandace_Riopel
    bump
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Can you take any of the courses online and be home more? I personally wouldn't be able to leave all week. My husbands hours are crazy and we really have no help with the kids. I would love to go back to school myself, bu I refuse to rack up more debt. I already owe 25K in student loans.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    I think its selfish, but thats just me.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    I don't think this is being selfish, especially because when you complete school you will be able to provide for your family even more. That extra income will definitely come in handy as they get older and have more expensive wants and needs. That being said, I do think being away from your kids all week long could be hard on them (they will miss you!) and on your husband too. He might start to resent you if he feels like it causes him to be over-burdened.

I have a personal experience I'd like to share. My mom went back to school when I was about 2 or 3 (also to be a nurse!) and graduated right around the time I was graduating from kindergarten. She only had me and it was very difficult for her with other obligations (she worked full time while going to school too), but it was well worth it. It allowed her to get a career she was much happier in. She had the full support of my dad though, we took on extra tasks like making dinner and putting me to bed at night. The school she went too was about an hour away so she was able to live at home. It was neat for me, because as I was starting to go to school so was mommy! I felt really proud of her when she graduated and it set a good example for me at a young age. Also because she got school out of the way while I was still little, it made it so she actually had more time with me in elementary. She got a much better job after going back to school that was flexible with scheduling so she could always drive me to all my practices, events, etc.

I'm wondering if it would be possible for you to go back to school, but also still live at home. Most colleges offer classes on either a Tues/Thur or M/W/F schedule. Maybe you could schedule all of your classes on Tues/Thur and commute. Most colleges now also offer distance learning and you can take some classes online. You should call the school first and talk to a counselor and see what options they have. Most schools even have counselors who specialize in helping adults returning to school and I'm sure they can offer you a lot of tips and advice. Another option is that some of the classes in the 2 year program might be able to be completed at a community college closer to home, saving you money and the commute. Once you get the basic courses out of the way, you can transfer those credits to a university and finish the program there.

You definitely need to talk to your husband about this, but either way getting more education is setting a good example for your kids and will only make your life better. I think there is a solution out there that would allow you to go to school, but still see your family. Keep looking for more options!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    You'd move away from your family for 2 years? Pay rent for an apartment? Yeah, that's probably not a good idea.

I'd suggest looking into a online school.
  • b0mbersfan
    b0mbersfan Posts: 16 Member
    selfish is the wrong word. It's not like you want to be 2 hours away, you have to be to support your family in the future. Its going to be just as hard for you to be away as it is for them to not have you home.

Its a sacrifice that only you can decide if its right. It depends on the stability of your marriage, as well as your ability to stay focused on a very tough academic path in the face of not being there for things at home that you will want to be there for.

Do it if you can, you will be better for it in the long run, but only you can decide if its right for you.