5 hour energy. Really??

Options
So, for like...the 6th time...I swear...someone has tried to push 5 hour energy on me. I was really tired today on account I have been busy with school, in and out of meeting, haven't drank all my water for today yet (I drink 10+ 8 ounce glasses of water a day) AND haven't been on my workout schedule for the past 2 weeks.

Yet.....I'm being told by two people (clearly not in great physique, yet I can't say too much since I don't look the same...) saying I need to try 5 hour energy and it's "natural."

I swear if I have one more person trying to put this crap down my throat and into my brain, I'm going to SCREAM! Water gives me energy since it inadvertently flushes my body of toxins and helps assist my metabolism...showing him my 9 ounce water bottle on my desk didn't really sink into THEIR brain. Anyone else frustrated with this type of non-sense??!

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I looked at the ingredients while waiting in line at a pharmacy one day. It was sugar then a bunch of preservatives.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Well no, never heard of it.
  • Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    For sure! its not only the 5 hour energy its the "eat whatever you want, you'll be fine. Its one meal"
    This makes me want to smack them.

I do water and greentea sometimes coffee..
  • tigersmoondiva
    tigersmoondiva Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It turns me into a walking ball of anxiety.
  • Bunni8E8
    Options
    Have sort of the same problem. People seem to think when your tired you should pump yourself with "energy" drinks such as 5 hour energy but there so horrible for you. They also have been proven to slow down your motabilism when your finished drinking them which is defiantly not a good thing.
    My friends love red bull. Can't stand the stuff, makes me feel sick and water is sooo much better. Even a glass of warm tea works wonders.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I do green tea also. Made a comment about that, too. It's sad because our own HR department allowed them to give away free 5 hour energies to employees for free. Seriously??? Wow.....
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it tastes like crap! Probably something like fingernail polish remover or something...
  • MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    People are sheep, they'll repeat anything they see on the television...Yeah I really hate all the "energy" drink stuff. And dont cave in, the stuff tastes like hairspray lol Stick with tea or water.
  • Skeebee
    Options
    I'm sure it tastes like crap! Probably something like fingernail polish remover or something...

You know, I think some people like it. But, hey! I love pepperoni pizza, hamburgers, and nachos. Doesn't mean it's good for me....
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with an energy drink now and then. But then, I'm one who doesn't think one meal or even one day of "bad" eating is anything to worry about...

I'm currently pregnant and don't have the option of consuming caffeine but there is nothing I'm craving more right now. I eat well and eat constantly, drink a lot of water and spend my days cleaning the house and raising my kids. I have 0 energy. If I could have something that would break me out of this "about to pass out" tiredness I'd take it.

Other people may not "get" your methods, but they're just trying to help. You may find their suggestions irritating but the mean well.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    An apple is a good energy booster.
  • Skeebee
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with an energy drink now and then. 5 Hour Energy is natural and it works without caffeine or stimulants.

The problem is becoming dependent or being a "quick fix" to everything. It's like a suppressant to the real issue of WHY you are tired. I can see it once in a while if you really need a pick me up. I drink coffee maybe once a year, but I understand it is NOT in any way going to replace any other methods I have.
    Other people may not "get" your methods, but they're just trying to help. You may find their suggestions irritating but the mean well.

In this case, it wasn't really to help me at all. It was to have me "accept" their own practices as acceptable. HUGE difference....
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    you should really drink more than 10 ounces of water a day............
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered if there were bad side effects to those drinks or not
  • xaintes
    xaintes Posts: 129
    Options

Yeah I was thinking the same. I'm assuming there's a typo or error in the post?
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that sometimes has to do "overnights" at work, and she's tried the 5 hour energy with success. That said, she rarely uses them and doesn't like the taste, although she has suggested them to another friend that can't have caffeine. I do consume a lot of caffeine in a day, however when my body is exhausted I feed it vitamins. I take B12 every morning and it really helps perk me up and keep me awake throughout the work day. I also don't go home and crash, I have the energy to exercise and cook and such.
  • worldhurdler
    worldhurdler Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I use a 5 Hour Energy on race day mornings (before a triathlon or half marathon). And no, they DON'T taste like fingernail polish or hairspray ;-) The pomegranate is actually tasty, and the berry is good, too. I use them because there's no sugar and an influx of vitamins. But, that being said, I don't believe in making them a part of my daily routine or becoming dependant. A healthy diet, adequate sleep, and sufficient exercise are the best way to make it through the day. And I would never try the other "energy drinks" like RedBull, Monster, etc. Gross - so much sugar and calories!
  • Skeebee
    Options

Yeah I was thinking the same. I'm assuming there's a typo or error in the post?

Yes. definitely a type. sorry all! 10- eight ounce glasses a day (80 ounces. lol)
  • rockieschick
    rockieschick Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I dont drink energy drinks everyday.
    Now, when I go climbing/hiking for very long ones (like my last peak) I get really out of energy. Yes I eat some fruits,nuts...blah blah blah but I also did try the 5 hour energy. I liked it. I beleive it helped me lots, took it on my way back from summit as I was really getting low on energy. Havent took it again since, I even have one left in the house, im not all addicted to it either! lol
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I'm going to weigh in here with a thumbs up for the 5 hour energy drink as an OCCASIONAL help for exhaustion when you KNOW why you're tired.

I am great at self sabotaging and the first week I was going back to the gym I kept staying up too late at night. I made myself get up at 5:30 anyway and drank 1/2 a bottle, and was alert for the drive to the gym and able to power through the workout fine. Then eating a good breakfast and working all day (with a good lunch) I finished the second half to help me stay alert for the long drive home.

If I use them to get through a few days where I'm short on sleep, and not as a meal substitute or as a first resort for feeling tired - I'm OK with that.

By occasionally I mean one or two per month.