how to eat out when you dont like salad

Options
been really trying recently to lose weight but just go totally over my cals when i go out as i dont like salad and thats even after ive done 1 hour zumba. anyone got any advice.

Replies

• sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Lean protein and steamed/sautéd veggies? Difficult as I can't imagine not liking salad.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    eat something as healthy as possible, but only eat half a portion.
    I don't like salad either, yuck It is like eating grass and dirt.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    A lean cut of steak or chicken and a serving of veggies is a good choice for most people.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I try to get stuff with as little saucy stuff on it. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything since I like most of my veggies without extra junk on em, same with steaks or grilled chicken.

Other options are to only eat half of the meal and take the rest home for another meal.
  • tmcuneo
    Options
    Sometimes salads are more calories than eating a burger. You have to watch what you put on whatever you eat. Basic rule of thumb, eat boiled, broiled or baked. Nothing fried. And eat the allowed portion size .. approx 4 oz of meat .. lots of veggies.
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I avoided going out to eat for afew weeks untilmy body adapted to eating smaller portions.
    Last night for example, we went to canyon's burgers, months ago, I would have gotten an adult order of chicken fingers with french fries and a large soft drink.

Last night I ordered, a kids meal, 2 chicken fingers, small portion of sweet potato fries and small drink.

I had a large bottle of water and an apple about an hour before so, I was full when we left.

Later at home, more water and went to bed.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Btw: the salad usually ha more calories then a lot of the other meals xD it can be crazy!

A lot of restraunts have a lower calorie option on their menu now :]

Otherwise lean protein and veggies!
  • joditenzer
    Options
    I'm like you...not a salad eater at all. Do you like veggies if they're cooked/grilled/sauteed? I find that's the only way for me to get them down. Plus lean proteins- shrimp, chicken, turkey- get more bang for your buck so that it helps you to stay under your calories.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    do research on the menus of the places you are eathing,you might be suprised to learn that alot of times salads are just as bad as a big ole burger
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    If you can take a minute before you go out and look up if the place has their nutrition online. For example, I went to Applebees this weekend with my family and I need to eat Gluten-Free on top of watching my calories. Luckily two of their under 550 meals are also Gluten-Free. I had the spicy shrimp with island rice and it was soooo good and only 370 calories for the whole plate. Add a water with lemon to drink and I was golden. Good Luck!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Check out the available soups on the menu as well. Some (that are not cream based) might just fit the ticket with steak.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Lean protein and steamed/sautéd veggies? Difficult as I can't imagine not liking salad.

I agree with this ^^ I rarely order salad out because I'm just not really a fan of salad. I usually order a small filet mignon or grilled fish and a side that is not fried or coated with cheese. If they have a nice list of sides sometimes I'll just order 2 or 3 vegetable side dishes and no meat, especially if baked sweet potato is an option. I order it plain and just add salt and pepper. They are so moist and flavorful you really don't need butter. If sauted mushrooms or onions are an option, these are great on a baked sweet potato.
  • xxrouguexx
    xxrouguexx Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    how about lean grilled chicken, or grilled or baked fish (nothing breaded or fried), steamed veggies, white or brown rice. If you must choose a potato, choose baked never mashed or fried. If you want steak, choose sirloin, its the leanest cut. If you want something more fatty do extra exercise earlier and/or eat half of whatever it is, and take the other half home for lunch the next day.
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Sometimes salads are more calories than eating a burger. You have to watch what you put on whatever you eat. Basic rule of thumb, eat boiled, broiled or baked. Nothing fried. And eat the allowed portion size .. approx 4 oz of meat .. lots of veggies.

Agreed.

For example: A Chick fil a salad with grilled chicken and ranch dressing is 380 calories
    Or you can get a Fried 8 count Nugget and a fruit cup for 310.or a grilled chicken sand and fruit for 340. or a large chicken soup for 220,

Just giving examples here. Most of the time we eat at home. Sometimes, you have to eat out and with kids, it has to be quick.

Salad is not always the best choice.

Before we go tout, I look at their menu online and try to make the best choice possible.
  • rachy_09
    rachy_09 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    thank you all so so much for your comments i will be looking for the leanest (if thats how you spell it ) meat possible with a few boiled veggies thanks very very much. think this will helps lots,
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options

Agreed.

For example: A Chick fil a salad with grilled chicken and ranch dressing is 380 calories
    Or you can get a Fried 8 count Nugget and a fruit cup for 310.or a grilled chicken sand and fruit for 340. or a large chicken soup for 220,

Just giving examples here. Most of the time we eat at home. Sometimes, you have to eat out and with kids, it has to be quick.

Salad is not always the best choice.

Before we go tout, I look at their menu online and try to make the best choice possible.

But, something else to consider is not just simply calorie count. Just because something might have fewer calories does not make it healthier. Also, using the lower calories options you listed, they may have more sugar in them as well, which can back fire later to mess with your blood sugar.

It's not just about calories, but what the contents of the foods are as well. :)
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I've had real trouble making my calorie goal when I eat salads, actually. Any dressing at all seems to make them a poor choice. It's depressing, because I actually like salads.

Anyway, I find that my best strategies in restaurants are:

1. get the fish or seafood. Even breaded and fried, fish is a better choice than most other meats.
    2. Never, never, never, EVER get french fries. If the choices are French fries or chips...get the chips. Srsly. The portion sizes of French fries are typically way more than any other side you could get, making them 2-3-4 times worse than everything else.
    3. If you can't stomach fish, a 6-oz sirloin is not bad. Grilled/blackened chicken is not bad. Pulled pork barbecue is not bad if you skip any white sauces. Smoked or grilled 1/4 dark chicken (thigh and leg) is not bad, especially if you don't eat the skin. But don't get brisket :sad: brisket is bad :brokenheart:
    4. If there's a non-starchy vegetable option, get that -- a lot of places now offer either vegetable skewers (my go-to side at Logan's Roadhouse, frex), steamed green beans (Outback usually offers these), steamed broccoli, asparagus, or mixed veg. Any of those are decent choices.
    5. Don't eat the bread :sad:

and the latest restaurant strategy I'm learning: Only eat half. Srsly. I hate it; it's hard for me to leave food on a plate, and it's hard for me to not eat when everyone else is still eating, but if you figure a restaurant meal with an entree and two sides probably runs 1000-1500 calories, then if you eat only half, you're in the 500-750 calorie range, which is workable in all but the most restrictive 1200-calorie diets.

Best wishes and best of luck to you!
  • apsmith51
    apsmith51 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am the queen of 'sides' when I go to a restaurant. In addition to dieting, I don't eat meat, so many times, I'll just order 3 sides...some veggies, potato, stuff like that and it actually ends up being quite a nice meal. I also usually only eat half of any main entree I order and take the other half home and 'eat out' at home the next day :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I don't eat salad. I get a grilled chicken breast or some sort of grilled fish, steamed veggies, and ask a lot of questions about the prep of my protein to make sure that it's not covered in unnecessary oils.