How much fiber everyday?

Options
Hi guys!
Does anyone have an idea of what is a healthy amount of fiber in grams to eat everyday, for a middle-aged female?
Any tips on high fiber foods that won't cause digestive distress and bloating?

Wheat, barley or oats are off my menu, but if you have any good ideas, I am all ears and right now also feeling like all tummy, unfortunately.
Thanks!

Replies

• lmf1012
    lmf1012 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    My daily goal is 25g and it hasn’t been easy to always meet that. I get most of my fiber from almonds, almond butter, avocado, popcorn, and dark chocolate. I also drink a Plexus Slim Hunger Control that has 6g of fiber.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,022 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I regularly eat 40-50g (I'm a past middle age woman.)

Whole fruit and vegetables, nuts, popcorn, flax meal, peanuts and other legumes.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Be aware some entries in the database don't include fiber in things that have it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,444 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I usually eat 40-50g daily, at age 65 and female. I think the MFP default is probably fine, though. I think it might be 25g?

"Bloating" is a very non-specific term. Sometimes people mean constipation, sometimes they mean water retention, sometimes they mean gassiness, sometimes they mean something else.

Going from a low fiber to high fiber diet suddenly is a good recipe for constipation, especially if fat intake is reduced in a mistaken belief that we should eat ultra-low-fat because fat is high in calories. We need to eat some fat, because it's an essential nutrient (which means the body can't manufacture it from any other nutrient(s)). It helps with smooth digestive throughput, among other important things. (Bonus fact: Avocados have both fiber *and* healthy fats.)

A sudden increase in fiber can also cause gassiness (mainly lower intestine type) because our gut microbiome needs to adapt to the dietary change, and while that's happening, there may be a higher level of gas discomfort/flatulence. Increasing fiber slowly should make this less annoying, and eating some probiotic foods (live-culture yogurt or kefir, miso, raw sauerkraut/kim chi, etc.) may help the transition.

Any increase in fiber can slightly increase water retention. Again, slow increase in fiber may ease the process.

If you have allergies or sensitivities to them, anything could cause "bloating". That becomes a personal experiment. I'd point out, though, that an immediate reaction may not be a sensitivity, because of the possible need for the gut to adapt to any significant dietary change. The reaction may be temporary, part of adaptation. Introducing new foods gradually, giving some time for adaptation (if the reaction is tolerable) - may help sort that out.

You can get tailored USDA recommendations for various nutrients here:

https://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/dri-calculator/

(Personally, I think that calculator lowballs protein.)
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I believe the recommended amount is 25 grams.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!
    Does anyone have an idea of what is a healthy amount of fiber in grams to eat everyday, for a middle-aged female?

Wheat, barley or oats are off my menu, but if you have any good ideas, I am all ears and right now also feeling like all tummy, unfortunately.
    Thanks!

the amount recommended by health authorities is at least 14 grams per 1000 calories consumed.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »

Yeah, but it's a recommended minimum.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I regularly eat 40-50g (I'm a past middle age woman.)

Whole fruit and vegetables, nuts, popcorn, flax meal, peanuts and other legumes.

Me too, on the higher end when I eat more beans/lentils, which is a great source. Otherwise, I get plenty from vegetables (I eat a lot), some fruit (including avocado), nuts and seeds, and misc other foods (I don't eat a lot of grains, but they contribute fiber if you do -- choose whole grains for more).
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I eat about 100g+ a day. I get a lot from high fiber wraps. (I eat 3 wraps a day each have 8g) Canned pumpkin is good too. I eat 3c a day. Lots of fiber there.

A lot of bars are high in fiber. I eat about 4-5 bars a day so I get at least 8-10g from each bar.

I also get some from veggies but find fiber from veggies gives me the most gas.
  • miichan15
    miichan15 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I aim for 25g of fiber a day. I've noticed I feel more full and less hangry the more fiber I eat. If I eat too much (for me that's like 50g+ of fiber) then my intestines don't like me for the next couple of days. 😅

Idk if that's for everyone or just me (or could be the kind of fiber I was consuming?🤷‍♀️) Idk but hope that helps 😊
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,746 Member
    Options
    the amount recommended by health authorities is at least 14 grams per 1000 calories consumed.

QFT.
    With no specific maximum mentioned.
    Sanity checking would assume a maximum when over-consumption crowds out other nutrients, or causes other issues and problems!

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »

Yeah, but it's a recommended minimum.

That’s right. For someone who is not used to eating much fiber, that would be a good goal although more is probably better. I am pescatarian but mostly eat vegetarian and aim for 30-35g and often exceed that.
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    The WHO recommends 30-35 g a day for any adalt. But some later research discovered that this amount may be too high for people who have problems with digestion. If you experience big and often problems with guts, try some days without fiber at all or really close to. It may be beneficial. Then slowly add some fiber in your diet starting of 5, 10, 15 g a day.
    My personal fiber intake everyday different, from 10 to 30 g a day. They come from veggies, berries, avocado, coffie (yes, coffie!), low carb tortilas, nuts.
  • Jamesever
    Jamesever Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I eat about 100g+ a day. I get a lot from high fiber wraps. (I eat 3 wraps a day each have 8g) Canned pumpkin is good too. I eat 3c a day. Lots of fiber there.

A lot of bars are high in fiber. I eat about 4-5 bars a day so I get at least 8-10g from each bar.

I also get some from veggies but find fiber from veggies gives me the most gas.

Noreenmarie, I started at around 20-30 grams of fiber a day and am now right there with you at 100+ a day, too. I eat only organic plant-based unprocessed foods. Other than oatmeal, I like the black beans salad mix and popcorn treats for fiber. I agree that it's best to start out with just enough fiber for comfort and let the body get adjusted to slow increases.
  • SL62814
    SL62814 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!

Thanks!
    I like to have apples for the fibre intake. Everyday I consume two to three apples, the best part is they help in keeping me active also.

• Kabootom
    Kabootom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I take 40 - 45 gram fibre each day to maintain enough energy level that don't put me in state of dizziness.
  • mikethewriter
    mikethewriter Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I prefer having 30-35 grams of fibre each day.
  • jtechmart
    jtechmart Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I find fiber foods and bloating work together. But, you still can avoid bloating if done right. I usually shoot for 30g of fiber per day and get all of it from fruit, vegetables, seeds, and occasionally nuts. Blueberries, bananas, apples, flax/chia/hemp seeds are my go to foods for fiber. I also have 1 smoothie per day that gives me 10+ grams in 1 serving.

Don't forget, water is a critical item. You can get all the fiber you want, but if you get too low on water it can cause problems. If I'm getting the daily recommended amounts then its all good. But I admit, its alot of water.
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    If you get a substantial amount of protein from beans, legumes (lentils, peas), hummus, quinoa, you won't have any trouble getting enough fiber. Also, if you like hot cereal in the morning, oat bran has even more fiber than oatmeal, and also has more protein. I like to make it with soy milk or nonfat milk to make it creamier than with water.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'm a cancer survivor and my oncology nutritionist says 25-30g per day for women. It helps rid your body of carcinogens (which I didn't know!) and helps with weight loss.