Pre workout

Options
amioc
amioc Posts: 175 Member
Those of you that take a pre workout which one would you recommend please? I’m in the uk

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    First ask yourself why you may need a preworkout. Only preworkout most need is a good dose of caffeine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • amioc
    amioc Posts: 175 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    First ask yourself why you may need a preworkout. Only preworkout most need is a good dose of caffeine.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I hate coffee 🤮! I drink tea but it doesn’t help with the energy side of things
  • Xikaiden
    Xikaiden Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Just goes with whatever the store i work at carries. Using the malibu punch muscletech one atm. Seems okayish but I'm no expert or anything on how effective any of them are. None of them really give me any caffeine buzz/high, think my tolerance is way too high due to years of soda and the meds I take for my migraine headaches lol
  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I hit the gym at 5:45 am. I find 8oz black coffee works for me. I may add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar if my head is full of cobwebs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    amioc wrote: »

You can get caffeine pills at 400mgs. Relatively inexpensive and most energy drinks and preworkouts use caffeine as a main stimulant.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    A couple of Oreo cookies can do it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    In general, a pre-workout should have 200-400mg of caffeine, 6-8g of Citrulline Malate or 3-5g of L-Citrulline and 1.6-3.2g of beta alanine. Things like Taurine (1g) can help act as a buffer to caffeine.

I use REDCON total war. Have also used Kaged Muscle Pre-Kaged.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,007 Member
    Options
    Once you have a preworkout selected, take the time to monitor your performance with it versus without it. I found that while taking a preworkout may have made me FEEL as if I'm working harder, the cold hard math showed I didn't lift any heavier of weights, run any faster or longer, etc. So for me, I chose to skip the preworkout, as I preferred saving the money if it didn't give me a measurable advantage.

For others, it may actually help performance wise, and even if all it does is make it feel easier to get through a workout, it still may be worth it to you. I just suggest actually tracking, not assuming.
  • AmyBeth_TN
    AmyBeth_TN Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I’m caffeine sensitive so I’m a cheap fix with a Verb Bar, or some generic equate preworkout, but my fav flavor is by far the Amino Energy watermelon!!!
  • jdbly3373
    jdbly3373 Posts: 26 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I can tell a big difference between drinking something like coffee and taking a preworkout. I'm not as experienced as you are, just worked a physical job and exercised. It does improve my performance too. I can work out longer and harder. I am more focused.
  • jdbly3373
    jdbly3373 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    amioc wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You might like another kind of coffee, like iced coffee. I'm sure you've probably tried different kinds but I didn't like it either and now I like it a lot!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,007 Member
    Options
    By the time I've added enough sugar and cream to make coffee palatable, it definitely no longer qualifies as a zero-calorie pick-me-up! lol (Still nothing compared to the mega-calorie drinks available at a typical Starbucks, but that's an entirely different discussion...)

That said, circumstance can play a big role in how well received something is. In my normal life, sleeping in a comfy bed and waking at home, I prefer a caffeine pill with a glass of water. But when I'm camping, sleeping on a hard ground and half freezing the entire time, waking up to a cup of coffee is very welcome!
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I usually make my own prework out.
    Ingredients and Dosages will depend on the time of day, How many carbs I’ve consumed, calorie surplus or deficit etc