Insulin Index of Foods. The new solution of weight management.

lexcoulstring
lexcoulstring Posts: 386 Member
edited June 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey everyone,

So I been focused on the glycemic index for years as I am a T2D. I can literally predict my level of sugar increase in my blood after foods I eat based on the glycemic index.

However and oddly enough I just discovered this new "Insulin Index". This research consists of people trying different foods and after a couple hours, measure the insulin response.

As many of us know and perhaps many of us don't know. Insulin Response is bad on a consistent basis and level of response. Type 2 Diabetic's it's worse because for the most common type of T2D, our body resists the hormone Insulin sent to the blood to reduce the sugars that we just took in by eating.

Too much insulin prevent the break down of body fat to be turned into ketones for energy. So our goal is to combine a diet based on foods that are both low in sugar and low in insulin response.

However, to my surprise not all foods we would expect to spike an insulin response actually does and vice versa not all foods we feel safe to eat because of the next to zero carb count "actually" does spike an insulin response.

Just to give you a quick example. "Lean Beef" triggers a larger insulin response than "white pasta". Which is just mind blowing. I have already applied much of this discovery on my diet. As I used to eat alot of beef to keep my carbs down. As you will discover, fat barely registers on the insulin index. So one of my changes was to replace lean beef with more fatty beef. As the old saying goes "Fat does not make you Fat" we all know this, but the other benefit of lots of fat is that it does not trigger an insulin response.

Please share you thoughts on this. I hope this helps people with weight management. While I am trying to reduce my overall fat % to get more lean, my concern of my health is more based on the fact I have T2D.

[edited by mfp staff]

Replies

• lexcoulstring
    Thank you for your feedback and some good insight on your part :). I did have links to case studies but the moderator deleted my post. I guess if someone is interested, then they can google it.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,585 Member
    edited June 2021
    Looks like a potentially useful take on / departure from / adjunct to glycemic index and glycemic load, directly comparing isocaloric intake of foods to the insulin response they generate during the first 2 hours after they've been consumed.

My own caveat being anecdotal information from these boards that this might prove a useful guideline that should still be evaluated by people individually and which would still be dependent on what else is happening at the same time.

Your insulin response will not be the same if you're eating right after / before physical activity or exercise and for better or worse **what else you ingest at the same time and the quantities** are likely to affect your body's response. The same applies in terms of whether you're having the meal after being in a caloric deficit or surplus in your recent past. i.e. **full meals have more complex interactions** than the isolated response to individual items.

So useful? Looks like it could well be.
    I actually *like* the isocaloric aspect.
    But, then again, an isocaloric comparison of ketchup to hamburger won't necessarily solve much!
  • lexcoulstring
    Thank you guys. Like everything in the world of fitness and food. I like to hear your views. I am honestly doing what seems to be helping me loose those few pounds of fat that linger what seems like forever and working on getting a leaner body. Not to mention healthier.

While there is some oddities in the list of foods that spike insulin in the insulin index, I find most of the info to be "common sense" if you know your food carbs, fat and protein. As well as have studied the GI chart.

Thanks again guys! Appreciate your feedback.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    While this is focused on glycemic control, it would have similar impacts as insulin. All based on a very well designed study.

https://youtu.be/EBh6JHP2it8
  • lexcoulstring
    kcrowley21 wrote: »
    My son has T1D and we track everything single piece of food he eats and how his blood
    sugar responds and all I can say is this - trying to predict biological responses to glucose and insulin can drive you crazy! He can have exactly the same thing and have totally different responses on any given day. That said, one thing we know for sure is that it isn’t any one food type that matters in relation to managing his blood sugar, it is the combination of fat/protein/carbs. Healthy versions of all is what is important.

I totally agree. The insulin and glycemic index is an overall reference. But when you compare the two, it still shares the same results for the most part. Just thought this would be a new insight to read up about.