Going back to the gym after a year

Options
I went back to the gym today after a year. OMG it was bad. I only lasted about 15 mins on cardio but I was able to do a lot of lifting though. So disappointing. Has this happen to anyone else? I just tell myself that it will get better.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,720 Member
    Options
    Like anyone else, if I stepped out of the gym for a year, I'd get out of shape. Take your time and it will come back. It takes about a full month of consistent working out to get some muscle memory back and some cardio fitness.
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was a slacker at the gym for the summer and I tried to go straight back into a 1 hour spin class. BIG mistake. *HUGE*.
    BUT it has motivated me to not fall off the track for that long again!!!
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, it'll get better!
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    That is the reason why I pretty much do not want to stop. It's to painfull to start again!!!!
  • neva4saken
    neva4saken Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Yes that will happen to anyone who stops working out for a year. You have to take your time and keep working at it and chipping away at it and you will get better and better ... i felt the same way two years ago when i went back for the first time for over a year but i dropped weight quickly and now i am 100 lbs lighter .. don't ever let discouragement predict your enthusiasm keep at it you will do it
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Definitely! Leapt on the Stairmaster with full confidence - managed less that 2 minutes hahahaha! You'll soon be back where you were.
  • Mandy1448
    Options
    I think it happens to the best of us; I was religious about working out for a long time, but schedule and priority changes started to pop up I went less and less and finally not at all. Here I am in the same boat as you, a year and a half later and I can't do half of what I used to do when I work out. I just started up again about two weeks ago, and although I can't devote as much time to the gym as I could before, I am finding ways to fit it in!
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yes! It is hard to go back after a long break. When I started going this year I had to keep telling myself it was okay that I couldn't do as much as what I used to do back when I was in shape. :) Just do what you can, keep going and you will improve day by day. You can do it and it's worth it! :)