Low Impact

Options
Jayco141
Jayco141 Posts: 221 Member
So I am in my 50's and through various sports through my life, cannot maintain high joint impact workouts. I have turned to rowing. Almost 10,000 meters a day. I also use resistance bands to try and build some strength.
I hate running, always have. Biking I can get into I think, but with the amount of distracted drivers out there, road riding is a bit dangerous and I know many people who have been killed doing so.

Any type of exercise you guys can recommend that I should try?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,071 Member
    Options
    Rowing boats is more fun than rowing machines, just saying. (I do both, boats when I can, machines when I must. I'm 65; the oldest person who took my club's learn to row class was 81, and did fine. 50+ is common, so you're not out of range.)

There are bike trails, even paved, in lots of areas nowadays, so very limited car danger. Stationary bikes/spin classes are also an option. (I did spin classes twice a week pre-pandemic, bought a stationary bike during, in addition to having a rower. I do better physically if I vary my workouts, vs. same thing day in/out - YMMV.)

Swimming is another option, or canoe/kayak. With the boats, a light/fast boat is relatively more aerobic, the more common heavy/stable ones more anaerobic.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Walking
    Dancing
    Hula Hooping
    Anything in water (rowing, paddling, swimming, aerobics...)
    Bikes on trails
    Yoga
    Body weight exercises (calisthenics without the jumping jacks)
  • Littlemizzmochrie
    Littlemizzmochrie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Swimming 🙂
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Rowing has been my exercise of choice for the past 5-6 years. Currently rowing 10K meters/day; 5 days/wk.

I also "hate" running and consider riding a bike on the road dangerous; much more so than motorcycling the I did for many years because on a bicycle you are at the mercy of every driver who passes you on the road.

I've got an expensive spin bike that I never use anymore that I've been trying to sell for awhile w/o success so far. And, I do not enjoy swimming; it's not my element.

I still have a full array of Olymic grade lifting equipment in my garage (even after recently selling off a bunch of gear) but I can no longer do any overhead lifts, bench presses, pullup/pushups or dumbbell routines because of deterioation in my right elbow.

The only lifting that I can still do are deadlifts and squats which is essentially redundant to rowing, which is primarily a lower body exercise (about 80/20; lower/upper) the way I do it. So, I don't do much lifting any more either.

The only other "exercise" that I do (other than walking and hiking) are leg raises using upper arm support straps attached to my squat rack, which I do to work my abs and obliques which is in addition to the core work that occurs while rowing.

Was never into using resistance bands or TRX systems but some people rave about them. If you like bands, you may like TRX too.

BTW, I'm male and 70 years old.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,112 Member
    Options
    I too am 50.... I walk 3 days a week with 1 long walk (over 8 miles ) and I swim 3 days a week :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I walk/hike in the winter, garden extensively in the spring and fall, and tomorrow will hopefully be swimming in the pond for the first time this year.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Walking, yoga, HIit exercises (tweaked to suit my bad back, hip and knee issues) pilates.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I mostly row (with a machine). I'm 56 and have a bad right knee. Like Ann mentioned, if you pick rowing on a machine, it's best to really find out how to row and go to an outdoor class for a while. It will complement the indoor rowing nicely.

One thing not mentioned is an Echo Rogue Bike. It's in the category of "Assault Bikes". It's not very expensive (around $699) and will last forever, like a Concept2 rowing machine. As far as intensity, you can't get any more intense (if you want to). But you can also ride them very slow and relaxing.

I love them because they will destroy you in HIIT sessions without any joint banging. I also like it because my wife and kids can ride it (they love it more than the rower, which isn't their taste) and go as easy as they want.

Plus, the Echo Rogue isn't motorized -- less to break down. It's cheaper than running because you don't have to buy $100 shoes every 3 months. And Rogue is world famous for quality and customer service.

You could also look at a used road bike, smart trainer and Zwift as an option. The added benefit is you have an outdoor bike to take out on trails. The smart trainers, though, are super expensive, though you can get one with less bells and whistles for less (if I got one, I'd want all the bells and whistles :D )
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I walk pretty much everyday...or at least 5 days per week to get my dog out and moving a bit. I also cycle and mountain bike. For cycling I often take to the numerous multi-use paths in the city adjacent to my village...I also live in a pretty quiet area and ride the main road through my village which has bike lanes and the road is 30MPH and not heavily trafficked. I also have an indoor bike trainer and the Zwift app so I cycle indoors quite a bit when the weather is bad or it's just too cold or hot. MTB is pretty much reserved for the weekends.

I also have a pool and I like to play around with the kids a lot which is actually pretty good exercise. I also enjoy a nice hike in the mountains...but usually reserved for when we're out camping.
  • moondazed
    moondazed Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I need low impact as well due to health issues, my two main ones are roller skating and biking. When I have access to it swimming is the absolute best though and alleviates a lot of pain.
    Also yoga!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Since you have a rower, another idea is a SkiErg. I'm not sure if you have a Concept2 rower or not, but they make a SkiErg that is very complimentary to rowing, which you said you do. If you can do 10K a day, that already means you're in decent shape.

SkiErgs are non-impact as well and counterbalance the muscles used in rowing nicely.