How to incorporate more veggies??

Hi all, I’m not a huge vegetable fan. I enjoy peas, corn, potatoes, lettuce, occasionally carrots, and that’s about it. Beans? If those are even a vegetable lol. I’m looking for some tips to incorporate more vegetables or make them taste better. For example the zucchini mini pizzas on Tik tok look delicious. I’m planning on trying those. The restaurant I work at has grilled zucchini which I don’t care for but I also don’t hate. So maybe some good zucchini recipes or whatever else you guys have for me. Thanks so much!!

Replies

• naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    What are some typical meals that you eat? People may be able to suggest how you can incorporate vegetables into those.
  • xodreamariexo
    xodreamariexo Posts: 63 Member
    naomi8888 wrote: »
    What are some typical meals that you eat? People may be able to suggest how you can incorporate vegetables into those.

Stuff I cook a lot is spaghetti (the sauce I use says it has a serving of vegetables in each serving of sauce), chicken and dumplings (I usually do potatoes, peas, carrot, and onion in that), pot roast with potatoes and carrots, lasagna, chicken Alfredo with peas, a salad with grilled chicken, avocado, corn, peas, and a little bit it shredded Carrot if I have any. Pretty simple and basic stuff. I live alone so I keep it simple.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Zucchini has a very mild taste if raw, so pair it with hummus, guacamole, salsa or something you like the taste of. It is also mild if sautéed lightly, a little butter added. Spanish rice has tomatoes. A fresh tomato sauce on pasta—or zucchini zoodles.
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    edited June 2021
    Stir fry with meat of your choice, bok choy, snap or snow peas, onion, mushrooms, etc.

Quick sauté of baby spinach, baby kale, baby protein greens, etc

I'm a bit lazy and buy organic Caesar, slaw and chopped salad kits because they have a mix of greens in them and to buy all the different vegetables would be too much volume and they'd go bad before I'd have a chance to use them. The primary reason I get organic is the dressings tend to have less garbage in them than non-organic but if you don't mind that there are plenty of those to choose from.

Spiralize (or julienne) zucchini and use in place of pasta with a meat sauce.

Oven roasted Brussels sprouts are pretty good. Give them a light coat of olive oil and roast in the oven.

Vegetables can be boring so look for recipes where you add just one or two things. For example I might add a little lemon juice and slivered almonds to sautéed green beans or asparagus. Or cook Brussels sprouts with a piece or two of sliced up bacon. Dip raw vegetables (celery, cucumber, carrots, etc) in hummus or a yogurt dip.

Buy already shredded cabbage/carrot slaw mix and add a dressing of your choice. I like to Asian it up with sesame oil, cider vinegar and a little peanut butter. But you can just add mayo. I sometimes use Primal Kitchen chipotle lime avocado mayo. Makes it a little spicy but flavorful.

I used to make pasta and throw in baby spinach at the last minute of cooking and then drain the whole thing together adding a little grated parm (or feta) and tomatoes.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    I think an easy start would be adding additional veggies in your pasta sauce (Jamie Oliver has a seven veg tomato sauce). Also in your lasagne you could sneak lots of extra veg in.
    I'm trying to go down the route of hiding veggies in foods as you would for kids until you get more used to them!
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,240 Member
    One of my tricks is my dehydrator.
    Sliced thin and dehydrated? Tomatoes are great!
    Dehydrated cucumber slices are good, too.
    Others I have tried are string beans, spinach, even yellow onions are delicious when diced coarsely and dehydrated to a crunch.

Just be sure to have something to drink when you snack on them. Too much fiber and not enough water is an excellent cork where you really don’t want a cork.
  • OnceAndFutureAthlete
    OnceAndFutureAthlete Posts: 192 Member
    I'm not much of a from-scratch cook, because it just doesn't seem worth the effort for a single person. But I do "pump up the veg" for many of my meals by keeping bags of frozen vegetables and adding them to lots of things. Broccoli, green beans, mixed peppers, asparagus, etc. For example, last night I made one of those Bertolli frozen bag pasta dinners, but addded lots of frozen broccoli and peas. 2 nights dinner with lots of extra vegetables.

The other thing I often do is make a big batch something in the InstantPot and once again, add extra veg. Soup? double what the recipe says (and add more stock if needed). And with spaghetti sauce, add a few carrots that have been shredded in the food processor. They add sweetness without seeming vegetable-like.

I also use things like cucumber or carrots (slice on the angle for a nice big chip) in place of where I used to eat chips: for hummus, salsa, etc.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    I love dipping fresh veggies in hummus or lite ranch dressing. I'll add a variety of veggies to my omelets, such as spinach, onions, green peppers, mushrooms. I also will heat up a veggie burger and slather it with those same veggies, sometimes a little avocado. Minestrone soups are great for adding tons of veggies! Lately my breakfast has been a huge green salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, onions and mushrooms(and whatever else I have on hand). :)
    Sweet potato fries are good.
    Lots of foods are great for sneaking veggies in to it, all kinds of casseroles and soups. If you like smoothies throw in spinach. My sister made a smoothie using a whole pack of fresh spinach and she said you'd never know it was in there. Just mix in with lots of fruits such as blueberries, banana, and strawberries.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member
    This thread!!!

So much beautiful food and it's just a pleasure to read:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10726786/for-the-love-of-produce#latest
  • TX_Bluebonnet
    TX_Bluebonnet Posts: 244 Member
    Buy already shredded cabbage/carrot slaw mix and add a dressing of your choice. I like to Asian it up with sesame oil, cider vinegar and a little peanut butter. But you can just add mayo. I sometimes use Primal Kitchen chipotle lime avocado mayo. Makes it a little spicy but flavorful.
    I'd like to try the sesame oil, cider vinegar, peanut butter dressing. Can you please provide the ratios or recipe?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Have you tried different cooking methods, fresh frozen, etc. ? I grew up eating canned veggies. Yuck! One of my favorite veggies is green beans......fresh green beans are tastey.

Cauliflower roasted in an air-fryer is great. Cauliflower has such a mild flavor. Below is a simple recipe, but you can add any seasonings you like: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/267304/air-fryer-roasted-cauliflower/
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Add some to your smoothies. A handful of spinach makes no difference to the taste. And I love rhubarb in my smoothies.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    You might try watching some cooking shows or videos that feature vegetables. You might not ever use any of the recipes you see, but just seeing how a vegetable can be prepared and served can inspire you to try it, or even to try cooking it yourself.

I saw Lidia Bastianich cook tomato-braised cauliflower on her show. It looked interesting, so I tried it - delicious! I added a little parmesan cheese on top, even though the recipe doesn't call for it.
    https://lidiasitaly.com/recipes/tomato-braised-cauliflower/
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    edited June 2021
    I'd like to try the sesame oil, cider vinegar, peanut butter dressing. Can you please provide the ratios or recipe?

I tend to eyeball things but maybe 1/4 cup peanut butter and a tbsp each of sesame oil and vinegar. Then taste and adjust as you like.

This white miso dressing was quite delicious so if you have all the ingredients give it a try.
    https://www.loveandlemons.com/asian-slaw/

• TX_Bluebonnet
    TX_Bluebonnet Posts: 244 Member
    I tend to eyeball things but maybe 1/4 cup peanut butter and a tbsp each of sesame oil and vinegar. Then taste and adjust as you like.

This white miso dressing was quite delicious so if you have all the ingredients give it a try.
    https://www.loveandlemons.com/asian-slaw/

Thanks so much! Looking forward to trying that dressing once I have all the ingredients on hand.

That miso dressing salad looks delicious with an interesting combination of ingredients. I've never had miso before (just googled it to see what it is), so am thinking I may give that salad a try as well.

Thank you. 🙂
  • Kabootom
    Kabootom Posts: 27 Member
    You can have half baked soupy vegetables with some black pepper salt and salt to make it taste better. Half bakes veggies holds the nutrients intact that are crucial for our body.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited June 2021
    If most of your experience with vegetables has been boiled to death, steamed with no seasoning whatsoever, or reheated from a can, try whatever the vegetable in question is fresh or frozen, and roasted in the oven or sauteed, with just a little bit of oil and salt.* I love roasted broccoli, asparagus, and Brussels sprouts prepared like this, with maybe some paprika or garlic powder tossed in the mix as well. Eggplant also does amazing things in the oven; try this recipe, if it turns out you like miso: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015113-miso-glazed-eggplant

* Oil and salt can have a place in a healthy and balanced diet. Unless YOUR specific doctor has told YOU specifically to avoid these things, there's no reason you have to do that in order to lose weight. I use about a quarter-teaspoon of oil per serving when I prep vegetables like this, basically just enough to thinly coat each piece. I'm not worried about salt so I don't usually measure precisely, but that's even less than a quarter-teaspoon per serving, usually.
  • ldaltonbishop
    ldaltonbishop Posts: 97 Member
    edited June 2021
    Green smoothies are great. The trick is balancing the vegetables with something sweet and, for me, low carb. Ocean Spray makes a 5-calorie cranberry juice blend that I like. So I use five ounces of that, an ounce of greens (spinach, kale, anything darker than iceberg), and then whatever I have. I like to add half a jalapeño for a flavor boost. I've added any of these: mandarin orange, chopped onion, carrots, tomato, chia seed, avocado. I try for at least four vegetables. You either need a very good blender or a lot of patience. You will probably have to mash everything down a few times to get it going. It's kind of a project, but really tasty. It makes about two cups after you rinse out the blender with a little water and stir that in. Raw food is (usually) the best way to get the most nutrients out of your vegetables. If you don't add banana or a high carb fruit your overall carbohydrate count will be fairly low but solid on fiber.

Pro tip: rinse out your blender, fill it about half full of warm water and one or two drops of dish soap, then turn it back on for just a few seconds. Your blades will clean themselves and you just have to wipe down the sides and lid, and rinse.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    Add some to your smoothies. A handful of spinach makes no difference to the taste. And I love rhubarb in my smoothies.

I'm already adding spinach to my smoothies. Excited to try rhubarb!